IGNORED

Why do you run Z rated tires?

Geezer

Just curious. I've been running either Pilot Roads or MZ6's without giving it much thought, but as I do think about it I don't know why other than the dealer recommended them and they are both highly regarded here. No complaints with either except for the short tread life.

I never run in excess of 140 mph...don't even come close. I guess the softer compound makes them stickier for hard cornering, but again I doubt that I'm challenging the limits of traction.

Consequently I'm considering going to H rated tires the next time I change strictly for the longer tread life, but wanted to raise this question before I do as there is probably something that I am overlooking.

TIA

Neither of your bikes is capable of speeds needing Z rated tyres, maybe downhill with a following hurricane! I use radial ME880s on my 1150RT without any problem at all.

Because that's all there is to buy? Do most of the tyres we use on bikes even come in different speed ratings?

I think a lot of the argument people use for Z rated tyres on their cages at least has to do with margin. The thinking goes that a tyre that is capable of being safe at 140 has more safety margin at 90. Where a lesser rated tyre would have less of a margin. Don't know how much I buy into it myself, but that is how the argument goes.

I agree with Killer on this issue as well. I want a long wear tire for my 1100rt and was looking at the 880. The dealer I spoke with did not recommend having an 880 on the rear and a ME on the front, so I bought a ME6.

I am happy with the ME6, about 500 miles on it, but once the front wears I will switch both to the 880's.

Happy Ridin'

The dealer I spoke with did not recommend having an 880 on the rear and a ME on the front, so I bought a ME6.

For future reference, it is harmless to run mismatched tires on a bike. Granted, the handling may not be as good (it may also be improved), but it isn't dangerous in any way, and given the way many, if not most, RT riders ride (somewhat conservatively), I'd be surprised if they even notice. I've run all kinds of wierd combinations over the years, including some where one tire had a distinctly steeper profile than the other, and it still wasn't a problem.

--sam

Because that's all there is to buy? Do most of the tyres we use on bikes even come in different speed ratings?

Anakees do.

I've run both, on the road and on the track.

The dealer I spoke with did not recommend having an 880 on the rear and a ME on the front, so I bought a ME6.

For future reference, it is harmless to run mismatched tires on a bike. Granted, the handling may not be as good (it may also be improved), but it isn't dangerous in any way, and given the way many, if not most, RT riders ride (somewhat conservatively), I'd be surprised if they even notice. I've run all kinds of wierd combinations over the years, including some where one tire had a distinctly steeper profile than the other, and it still wasn't a problem.

--sam

Some BMW models have a bias front & radial rear recommended

Archived