IGNORED

"Fat Foot" Experience?

twilmotte

Does anyone have any experience with the "Fat Foot" side stand plate made by Schneider's, Inc? I just installed one on my RT and it looks sturdy enough, but I'm concerned that if it ever comes loose while I'm on the move, it will slide off the sidestand and into the path of my rear wheel (and that could be a very unpleasant situation). frown.gif

pedro cerveza

I'm not sure of the brand, but I use one that I got from Bob's BMW. It does get loose. I check & tighten the allen screws every time I check the air presure in the tires.

I'm not sure of the brand, but I use one that I got from Bob's BMW. It does get loose. I check & tighten the allen screws every time I check the air presure in the tires.

I saw an ad for one of these (Santa Cruz BMW?) that recommends using Loctite or equivalent on the attaching screws. Interesting. Why can't they "design out" this problem?

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
recommends using Loctite or equivalent on the attaching screws. Interesting. Why can't they "design out" this problem?

It seems they have "designed out" the problem by using a thread locker. You might argue by this same logic using a thread lock fluid for the final drive pivots or swingarm bolts. And THAT's recommended by the manufacturer too.

Besides, the fat foot doesn't appear to be a highly engineered piece of equipment with tons of R&D. Are you gonna pay double for an engineer to fix the problem of a loosening nut?? It's a piece of steel or aluminum and a few nuts and bolts to lock it into place.

Another solution is to use a locking nut with a nylon insert. That's what came with mine and I've never had them come loose in the 2-3 years that I've had them.

Glad to hear your nylon thread locking nuts haven't loosened in 2-3 year's use. The Fat Foot comes with similar setup (photo attached), I'll just keep checking it until I get comfortable with it.

582955-ffoot01.jpg.2995bd5019373f1aeead1a8260f018ea.jpg

I'm not sure of the brand, but I use one that I got from Bob's BMW. It does get loose.

And how! I used Locktite and it still fell off somewhere while riding.

I'm not familiar with the particular brand. My RT had a side stand pad on it when I bought it. It cut down the ground clearance, and was the first thing to touch down in a left hand corner. I took it off right after that.

HI. I've had a fat foot on my R1150RS since I got the bike in 2002, and have had no problems with it loosening so far (touch wood). My dealer put it on when I got the bike; I don't know if he used any thread lock. To be frank, I'm more concerned about the bolts wearing off from rubbing on the ground over the years.

Got a QUESTION about these guys - does this go on the side stand or on the center stand? I can't tell by looking at the attachment.

I put some Wilber shocks on my 1100RT and the centerstand is almost worthless so I was thinking about installing some aluminum blocks to raise it 3/8 inch or so.

Any insight is appreciated.

Happy Ridin' thumbsup.gif

Jerry Johnston
Got a QUESTION about these guys - does this go on the side stand or on the center stand? I can't tell by looking at the attachment.

Happy Ridin' thumbsup.gif

Side stand!

Tim, The Fat Foot goes on the sidestand. I would think you might want to consider spot welding some steel plates on the bottom of your center stand feet. You could cut the plates and temporarily attach to see if they give you the proper clearance, etc ... then spot weld. I would think aluminum (although lighter) wouldn't be as sturdy as steel.

I would think you might want to consider spot welding some steel plates on the bottom of your center stand feet.

Be careful welding on the bike. You can really screw up the computer with voltage spikes. Remove the sidestand before you weld, just to be safe.

Archived