IGNORED

Belstaff Discovery report

johnlt

I've been wanting a Belstaff Discovery for some time now to replace my Darian which I don't particularly care for. Well after not being able to find a used one, I finally ordered a new one for Britishmotorcyclegear.com. Very nice. Very impressed with quality and functionality. It is also very comfortable and much more flexible than my Stich. I've worn it now several times including some long rides and really like it. I have not ridden it in the rain yet but looking at the way all the clousures and made, I'm confident it will work well in the rain. I consider it a 3 season jacket (fall, winter, spring). It does have arm and back vents but they are small and not even close to the size and functionality of My Savannah II which I also consider a 3 seanson jacket(spring, summer, fall). The Belstaff is also a very good looking jacket IMHO. All in all, I'm very pleased with the product.

Mike_Thompson

Hi John,

Thanks for posting the update on the Belstaff. I've looked at this jacket as well and have thought about getting it on the sheer fact that the Darien didn't impress me too much.

You mentioned that you haven't ridden with it in the rain... is there any way we could persuade you to go outside, put on your helmet, and have someone spray you with a water hose? grin.gif

MT, I'll find out this weekend. I'll be riding to El Paseo and wearing the Belstaff and it is suppose to rain some of the time. The way it is constructed with zippers, folded flaps along with double velcro flaps ought to seal it pretty well. Great reputation from the European couriers who wear it as the "jacket of choice". I'll post a follow-up next week.

I've ridden in 100 miles of very heavy rain and truck wash and my Disovery Jacket kept me perfectly dry. Ditto for 500 miles of lighter but steady rain. I also have the Frontier Pants which did a nice job except for a pesky leak in the seams at the crotch area.

I consider the Discovery a four season jacket. I've used it in temps from 36F to 112F and, with the proper gear underneath, it served me well. It breaths well without its liner yet keeps the hot wind off of me. I like a little insulation in the heat. I drink plenty and count on the slow evaporative cooling to keep me comfortable. On a recent ride through the desert this summer, I was more comfortable than either of my riding partners who were in mesh. Note that I'm talking about hot DRY conditions. Mesh might be more functional in the muggy heat where dessication isn't an issue.

I have had a Belstaff Discovery for about 14 months and I am really pleased with the jacket. Bought it used and it looked as good as new when I purchased it.

I have ridden in some rain and it is water tight. Summer use has been a challenge, not really cool, but with teh proper attire, you are comfortable.

I highly recommend Belstaff products to anyone looking for a quality product.

Enjoy and Ride Safe. thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the report on the Discovery Jacket. Both S.O and I have Pioneer and Frontier model pants and I have their gloves. Gear is top quality. I was wondering how the jacket was. Inasfaras rain, well, you would think if anyone knows how to make waterproof gear the Brit's would.

ShovelStrokeEd

I'll echo the positve comments in re the Belstaff jackets.

Mine, which I can never find a model that matches, is very well contstructed, completely waterproof, vents well enough to be tolerable in Florida at temps approaching 90 degrees F. I rate it well on par with the Savannah and maybe a bit superior as you don't have to fool with the waterproof liner. Its there all the time. I use it with a Gerbings jacket liner in place of the factory liner and I could easily call it a 4 season jacket.

I used the zip-on/snap-on chin cup this morning and it really works great at keeping your neck and chin warm. Very innovative design.

Mike_Thompson

Is the Belstaff website about the only place you can purchase the jackets? I haven't been able to find much in the way of retailers online. Most hits have been product reviews... Any suggestions?

I watched EBay for a long time and didn't find one so bought a new one. You don't get it off of the "Belstaff" site but rather the www.britishmotorcyclegear.com site. They bought the rights to Belstaff motorcycle gear when the the original Belstaff company sold out to an Italian firm.

Mike,

I spoke to the Belstaff folks in SoCal and they informed me that they only sell their products at shows, such as the CycleWorld MC show that is slated to travel across the US. You can also check their website, I believe that they list shows that they will attend and have a booth.

Enjoy the ride.

they only sell their products at shows, such as the CycleWorld MC show that is slated to travel across the US.

They also sell via telephone and their website.

Archived