IGNORED

Powerbook in top case?

Gregori

It's time for a new PowerBook - I've got a 15" currently, which will be replaced by the new one. While I like the size/moblity ofthe 15" quite a bit, I feel myself succumbing to the seductive lure of the 17".

The only serious drawback I anticipate from such a jump is transporting it in the stock topcase. (I carry it between home and office almost daily, but getting two desktops is not really a viable option.)

Does anyone here have/carry the 17" PowerBook in the topcase?

If so - what bag/sleeve/liner do you use to carry and/or protect it, while still fitting the confines of the topcase?

Thanks!

G.

I commuted for 18 months (35 miles each way) with my 15" PB in the topcase. The 17" definitely fits in my Givi 50l topcase. I don't use a sleeve or anything. I have a piece of egg crate foam that sits in the bottom of my topcase. The laptop goes directly on top of that. I then put my gym bag on top of that, or if I have no gym bag, I toss another piece of foam on top. With a sleeve, it would only be more protected. My backpack also has a special laptop pocket between the padding for my back and the main compartment. I often just put my laptop in my backpack and throw my backpack, strap side down, in the topcase on top of the foam. That's been working well for the last year or so.

--sam

Hrm. Well, my 12" is already beaten up, not 6 months into its life with me. After my employer's 15" got beaten all to hell, requiring $650 in case repairs, I swore I'd be careful with this guy. Even being careful (case books always go on the bottom; Diet Coke always goes on the bottom) it's taking a beating. Minor so far. But enough to be disturbing: The little self-disappearing hook is stuck out; stuck in if you see it and think, "That looks odd; I'll just push that in."

I'm really close to buying something like this.

I KNOW the 17 will fit into a large Givi - but I have the BMW topcase... smile.gif

I've been carrying my 15" back and forth daily for almost 4 years. I have a generic padded 'sleeve' that I put it into (similar to THIS one) and then into a larger Kensington backpack. It protects it quite well. But with the 15", this is a very snug fit in the topcase, and I expect it won't work with a 17", thus my inquiry.

About a year ago it started showing intermittent screen glitches (jumpy pixels) and while it certainly wasn't a BIG problem, it was occasionally annoying. When I took it in for service (under AppleCare) the technician told me it was the nicest looking Titanium Powerbook he'd seen. (He couldn't believe I transported it daily...) But they couldn't get it fixed. Over the last year, it's been back to Apple several times - they replaced the logic board, screen, hard drive, optical drive, and a whole slew of other parts. Many of them more than once. (They've covered all of it, even though the compuer has been out of warranty for almost a year...)

Anyway - they (and I) are tired of throwing parts into this thing, and we came to a mutually satisfactory arrangement whereby I'll be getting a new one. I'm not supposed to share the details, but I CAN say this: the customer service there is top-notch, and I couldn't be happier.

Anyway - I don't know if I'm willing to change over to a Givi box, just to accomodate a larger screen. (Which is the only real difference between the 15 and 17 versions - whichever I get will have the optional 100GB, 7200 RPM drive.)

I stopped by the Apple store to see them first hand before deciding, and it's just as bad an idea as test driving the 1200RT. That store is a DANGEROUS place - I almost left with a video iPod, even though I was somewhat diisparaging of them before I walked in, and am perfectly happy with the older generation iPod I've had for two years!)

Back to my original inquiry - it sounds like nobody here carries a 17 in a BMW topcase?

G.

No high-jack intended here: I was told by a respecable tech that it's better to carry a protected notebook on edge (upright like in a sidecase), rather than flat as in the topcase. I've done both with no damage. Any opinions on this? d.

2 things. First, make sure you REALLY want the 17" laptop. If you only use a laptop in order to have a computer to transport between home and work, then its a great machine, but I know more than a couple of people who bought them and wound up wishing for, or even purchasing, a supplementary 12" powerbook for whenever they want to take a computer somewhere other than work or home. I sometimes even wish my 15" PB was 12" so I could fit it in a tankbag, but the specs on the 12" (no FW800, no 7200RPM drive, no backlit keyboard) prevent me from going there.

If you decide that the 17" truly is right for you, then the second thing to consider is that the Givi topcases are a whole lot better than the BMW topcases. I was always having to cram my BMW topcase closed over something due to the funky shape and small size. I never have to do that with my Givi, despite putting lots more in it. I can actually fit an entire pelican case that fits my laptop and digital SLR camera plus 2 lenses, filters, and accessories inside the Givi topcase when I am travelling.

If you really must have the 17" laptop, maybe spending a little more on an improvement to your bike is worth it? But bear in mind that you'll never squeeze the 17 in a sidecase if you need to, while you can do it quite easily with the 15" laptop.

--sam

ClearwaterBMW

I love my 17" powerbook...

but it no longer leaves the house...

i got a sony vaio 13" widescreen for that purpose.... windows xp pro

i do all my photography and music on the powerbook

hard to carry on the road and, really not made for that

greg

I can't speak to longevity, but as a test case I just took my wife's 17" powerbook out and put it, naked (the computer, not me), into my BMW top case ('04 1150RT). It fits. However, it's only supported at the front and back edges. One edge rests on the center bottom of the case on the hinge side, and the other rests on the lump that contains the latch mechanism. There's a lot of space underneath, and about a fist size of clear space on each side.

Maybe an Aerostich Courier Bag would be a better way to carry it. Lessee, outside dimensions of the closed 'book are 15.5x10.25x1 inches. Yep, looks like it'll fit.

Perhaps I should mention that my wife's 17" PB is a first-generation Powerbook G4 17", purchased right after they were initially announced. You might want to confirm the dimensions of the current ones.

Hi. I have an original 15" 400 MHz Titanium PB that I sometimes carry in a side case. My thinking is that, when I can afford to upgrade to a new PB, I would likely get a 12" (for easy of transport) and an large monitor (for ease on my aging eyes). Would another 15" (or 12") plus a monitor be an option for you? Just a thought.

John: Thanks - that's the answer I was hoping for!

(Especially since the 'Book has now been ordered...)

As a backup plan, I could always order a Givi topcase, but I would want to find one that doesn't make the bike look like an AWACS!

(Anyone have the matte black E460??)

G.

Well, this is interesting. A BMW Apple Powerbook discussion. Aint the internet great? I agree with the small Powerbook, big external monitor approach, so I have the 12" Powerbook but the Apple 23" display, wireless keyboard and mouse. The Powerbook doesn't even have to be open for the big screen to work. Feels like I am sitting at a desktop computer. Then, if I need to get portable, I disconnect the Powerbook, pop it into a padded case, which I am sure would fit it the top case of the 1200 RT. Off you go!

I have the 12" Powerbook but the Apple 23" display, wireless keyboard and mouse. The Powerbook doesn't even have to be open for the big screen to work. Feels like I am sitting at a desktop computer.

Am I understanding you correctly: You can run the 12" PB with it closed? Doesn't it go to sleep when you shut it? I've been wondering if it could run closed. That's neat if it can. Do you know about the 12" iBook, too? TIA.

ClearwaterBMW

i think when you have it set up for EXTERNAL display, it does NOT go to "sleep" when closed

there is some way to set that

i don't use my 17" that way, but i'm sure it can be done

greg

Am I understanding you correctly: You can run the 12" PB with it closed? Doesn't it go to sleep when you shut it? I've been wondering if it could run closed. That's neat if it can. Do you know about the 12" iBook, too? TIA.

If you've got attached inputs (keyboard/mouse) that wake it up and an external display (or even without) a 12" PB will happily operate while closed. The problem with the iBook is that the external display is a mirror of the integrated display. I guess you could benefit from a larger external display at the same resolution by having things larger, but you wouldn't gain any actual real estate. Of course, if it's just convenient to hook it up with everything else for ergo reasons, it's still a win.

What irks me is that I have to pull my USB hub before I put my PB to sleep. If I don't, it wakes it right back up. I keep my PB in a Kensington Laptop Desktop USB, with my USB keyboard and trackball plugged into the hub on the stand. Keyboard and trackball sit on a tray out in front of my desk. So, when I'm ready to go, it's most convenient just to put everything to sleep from the trackball I'm working with. But no. I've got to pull the USB hub, monitor, power, and network cables, remove the PB from the stand, wait for the screen to cycle as it senses the removed external display, and only then can I put it to sleep.

The problem with the iBook is that the external display is a mirror of the integrated display.

The iBook can be made to span the screens instead of mirroring the display to both with a simple replacement driver that is readily available all over the net. The card is capable, but the driver that apple ships has the functionality disabled in order to drive 'pro' users to the powerbook. The reduced video RAM means that some of the graphical animations of the UI get disabled, but who really needs all that animation, anyway. I got my wife's to span between the built-in and my CRT monitor running at 1600x1200 resolution with no problems. Just do a search on 'iBook display span' and the fix should be obvious. However, the iBooks were NOT designed to be used with the lid closed. They can't vent enough heat, so even though you can get it to display to the external screen with the lid closed, you shouldn't. If you want to run with the computer closed, you should just use it in the mode that uses an external display instead of the internal, and then leave the lid slightly cracked so heat can vent. If you want to keep the computer closed, you have to have a powerbook.

On my powerbook, I just yank all the cords and close the display. I don't wait for the powerbook to detect that the external monitor has been removed. It causes it to take a tad longer to wake up when I reopen the computer, as it goes through the detection process, but it is no more than a couple of seconds.

--sam

the iBooks were NOT designed to be used with the lid closed. They can't vent enough heat, so even though you can get it to display to the external screen with the lid closed, you shouldn't. If you want to run with the computer closed, you should just use it in the mode that uses an external display instead of the internal, and then leave the lid slightly cracked so heat can vent. If you want to keep the computer closed, you have to have a powerbook.

I was going to ask about heat. So, iBook with lid closed NO, but PB with lid closed OK. Did I get that right? I'm often dense, so please forgive me in wanting to confirm that it's OK to run a 12" PB with the lid closed.

And thanks for the tip about 'iBook display span'.

I was going to ask about heat. So, iBook with lid closed NO, but PB with lid closed OK. Did I get that right? I'm often dense, so please forgive me in wanting to confirm that it's OK to run a 12" PB with the lid closed.

And thanks for the tip about 'iBook display span'.

That's correct.

That's right, the Powerbook is closed and out of the way. It doesn't even get warm. Closing the lid doesn't make it go to sleep. If I want it to sleep, I have to give that command from the Menu, it's under the Blue Apple icon on my setup. The menu, by the way is now across the top of the big screen and the dock is along the bottom of the big screen. I don't bother to try to use the powerbook as extra screen real estate, although at first I tried it just to see if it works. It does and if you set up the displays correctly you can slide your cursor off one screen and onto the next. The thing is, if you have a 23" screen, you forget about needing more screen space and concentrate on something else. Setting it up with the big screen and the 12" Powerbook is automatic too, I honestly don't even have a procedure for doing it. I hook them together and it just works in true Apple fashion. What is so surprising to me is that a tiny 12" Powerbook can drive a 23 " monitor with no problems. I hooked up the PB to the monitor at Comp USA before I bought it, because I just didn't think it was going to work! Great engineering is a wonderful thing.

-Eric

Thanks sgendler, eruff, et al. for the PB info. Great news for me. I've been thinking of that set up (12" PB + large monitor) to replace my TiBook 400. Maybe next year if I have some funds. Thanks again.

Archived