IGNORED

They don't have to be loud?

roughwaterjohn

"I see there's a serious bias against loud Harleys on this forum...why I ask myself?"

I think we have a serious bias against any loud bike, but Harleys make up such a big percentage of loud bikes that it becomes the main subject.

+1

Uncle Beemer
I was riding through downtown Davis one hot afternoon on my recent trip, enjoying the scenery, and the joy that comes from balancing on two wheels while moving forward. As I pulled up to a stop light in the number 1 lane, I heard a female voice to my right say....

Voice: "Excuse me...."

(Turning my head to the right, I see a lady driving a minivan with two kids in car seats in the back. Lifting my visor, I said..)

Me:"Hi there"

Voice: "Why is your motorcycle so quiet?"

Me: "It's a BMW ma'am."

Voice: (Surprised) "You mean they don't have to be loud?"

Me; "No ma'am, that's a personal choice of the motorcycle owner"

Voice: (turning around to look at the kids in the back seat) "Look boys, it's a 'quiet' motorcycle, it's a BMW, isn't that wonderful!"

I couldn't see their miniature faces, but I'm sure the boys were suitably impressed.The light turns green, and we both proceed forward, both content that all is right with the world.

Actually.... I get this type of comment fairly frequently, something that surprised me at first. :grin:

What a bunch of bull shit!! Look boys, that man has cut his balls off, isn't that great! Geez! Grow a pair man, grow a pair!!!

I had a 'matured' woman ask me to start my RT up so she could show her friend how quiet it was one morning at a Mikkie D's near Valley of Fire. It seemed like a weird request at the time. She used to ride BMW's until her husband passed. Nice lady.

Particularly when you are superior.

All the excuses in the world can't jusitfy noise pollution from any motorcycle.

Instead of people falling on the lame reasoning of they'll go after something you like one day, it is better to look at the reality of what is happening..

For anyone riding a motorcycle in this country today to not be aware of the repercussions (sic) caused by loud pipes is laughable.

I'd vote for a law allowing on the spot impoundment of bikes that violate noise level policies.

Then destroy.

So glad this thread has made it this far w/out any references to loud pipes compensating for other shortcomings.

That would be immature.

Besides, everyone knows that those riders who choose to create that form of noise pollution (let's call it what it is, loud is a relative term, illegal noise pollution is more accurate) only choose that form of expression because they can't afford to spend the big bucks required to produce an outrageous car stereo system.

:lurk:

"So glad this thread has made it this far w/out any references to loud pipes compensating for other shortcomings.

That would be immature."

Darn...and I was about to say something to that effect, but I won't.

...Loud motorcycles bother me a lot...

+1. It is not a trivial issue and something must be done about this problem.

Jay

I suggest earplugs.

...Loud motorcycles bother me a lot...

+1. It is not a trivial issue and something must be done about this problem.

Jay

I suggest earplugs.

In my back yard? For the whole population? The issue is that noise will cause the majority population - ie non-riders - to move to ban all motorcycles. We are under threat because of noise. Our best defence is to grow up and stop making the noise. Bikes are just as much fun without the noise.

Andy

Just to increase the sanity element in this shouting match, it certainly isn't an all-or-none issue and in several respects.

The highly self-virtuous stock BMW riders make a monumental amount of noise and waste (tires, air, engine, and also exhaust) and air pollution, particularly on highways. Nothing like the blat of some bikes on streets but then just ask a cyclist or a fan of electric vehicles.

Which leads me to my next point. It is a continuum of loudness. Too bad it is so hard to characterize what is noxious (see posts in the Edmonton thread). If it were easy, it would be easier to regulate and enforce. Not easy, despite what some people whose education is limited to engineering might think.

Personal experience. (1) I used to live near New Jersey's Garden State Parkway which was forbidden to bikes for many years. Big PIA. (2) Recently we've been considering a snowbird condo in the Boca region of Florida. So far our realtor has found no suitable condo that permits bikes for residents. Zero. (3) Even Toronto (we nick-name ourselves, with some winking, Toronto-the-Good) has cruiser riders with no mufflers but in Florida the Neanderthals seem closer to 100%... or at least the ones I hear, eh.

Ben

Paul Mihalka

"Recently we've been considering a snowbird condo in the Boca region of Florida. So far our realtor has found no suitable condo that permits bikes for residents. Zero."

Where my daughter lived in Pompano was one of these. When I visited I had to park on the street even so the building had inside parking for the owners and outside parking for visitors.

Loud pipes kill rights.

I have had quiet stock pipes on my last 4 bikes for a reason not stated in this thread so far. I'm following the US military's lead in embracing stealth as they see fit to spend billions on it. Being a weak person on a powerful motorcycle can lead to some indiscretions with posted speed limits. Doubt if anyone on the board on any brand bike hasn't been there. I also recognize that LEO's have a job to do. Well the sqeeky wheel get's the grease and loud bikes draw the complaints of the public for excesses. You see a loud bike will always be perceived to be going faster than a quiet one. Leads to more phone calls of bikes racing down the streets to the law. This maintains pressure on the LEO's to do something about it. :eek:

Ben,

Neanderthals?

No.

People who have waited paitiently, for decades, for the participants in an activity to self-regulate?

Yes.

Result?

If they won't wipe thier own arses, make them wear diapers.

Yep.

The big babies who go around auditorily defecating on everyone else have driven many to lump all motorcyclists into the same diaper pail.

Now in Florida, I have the right to defend myself with a concealed weapon.

Does that same right exist in Toronot the good?

just wondering, not looking to hijack.

All the pontificating in the world, on either side of the discussion, won't change public opinion, at least not easily.

Many members of the public associate noise pollution with the activity, and rightly so.

There is no "right" to loud pipes, whether "loud" is difficult to define or not.

The recent spate of super speeder laws, anti stunting legislation, stated desire to enforce noise pollution levels and eliminate "off road use only" add ons from the street has garnered support and taken on a life of its own.

More legislation will follow, more streets will be closed, more environments protected from the assault of riders who don't give a flying fruitcake about anything but themself.

And, given the fact that loud pipes can cause hearing lose and impotence, I'm not so sure about that.

Ben,

Neanderthals?

No.

People who have waited paitiently, for decades, for the participants in an activity to self-regulate?

Yes.

sniip

Now in Florida, I have the right to defend myself with a concealed weapon.

Does that same right exist in Toronot the good?

just wondering, not looking to hijack.

snip

I used "Neanderthal" to refer only to folks with loud pipes, that's all.

No, concealed weapons aren't tolerated in Toronto or in most of the world excepting some US states.

Ben

roughwaterjohn

... and to think, I just posted this thread because of a humorous offhand comment by a non-rider. :wave:

I wasn't even making a statement pro or con about loud or quiet bikes, just commenting on a cager's surprise that bikes "could" be quiet.

It's funny how threads can take on a life of their own.

Freedom is great, but sometimes a law needs to be put in place when one persons pursuit of freedom affects many peoples pursuit of happiness

Maybe almost 100% of the visiting riders that come for Bikeweekoctoberfest.

:/

And those that live in parts of the state that are boring to ride.

Weapons?

Are you excluding S. America, Africa, large parts of nonSino Asia?

The issue of loudness, whether motorcycle or some other source will eventually restrict many riders.

Didn't have to be that way.

Dave,

Well stated.

HIJACK!!!

No, concealed weapons aren't tolerated in Toronto or in most of the world excepting some US states.

unquote

Oh! Ben.....BAD word:rofl:!!!

Hmmm! I believe in Canada and most of the world excepting some US states, they "tolerate" only the bad guys concealing them ;)!

I guess it never gets tiring doing the "Superior Dance".

+2

They have become a caricature: old white guy in short sleeves, leather vest, blue jeans, shades, no helmet, lots of chrome and a deafening ROAR as he pulls away from the light.

In all honesty, I could only feel more superior to those oh-so-numerous loud Hardleys if my bike was a hybrid and/or whisper-quiet. I know its not the most endearing character trait I have :( , but I claim ownership of it at least. :)

Here in FL there are laws on how loud, in decibels, a bike can be. It is different(higher) for bikes of older vintages. The statute is available online (flsenate.gov is one place), has been around for decades and I have never even heard - no pun intended - of it being enforced even once, even anecdotally.

If there is no enforcement of existing laws by LEO :mad: , why would anyone think that more laws would work? And what incentive is there for those considering louder pipes to reconsider their choices? :S

ShovelStrokeEd

Somewhat back on topic. I live in a condo in SE Florida and don't have any problem with my neighbors. My two bikes run with a stock exhaust (Triumph Sprint) and a factory race exhaust (Tuono). The T was pretty obnoxious but got a big performance gain out of the exhaust so I was putting up with it. I have a very good friend who is bikeless at the moment so I let him baby sit my Tuono when I'm on the road. Last time, I happened to attach my Givi tail bag in which was a set of db killers for the Akra exhaust. He installed them as some of his neighbors were getting tired of him setting off car alarms all along the residential street he lives on.

Surprise, surprise, the bike is better. Broader spread of low and mid range torque and very little detectable drop in high speed power. OK, it's probably down a few on absolute top speed but I rarely hit 160 on the street anyway. It still floats the front end under power in third gear. Tone is now deeper without the sharp bark it had before. My likey.

So, no, they don't have to be loud and shouldn't be, IMHO.

• 4 weeks later...

Near Toronto, Town of Caledon, home of major biker destinations of the Forks of the Credit and Belfountain passed a by-law more rigorous than Transport Canada's manufacturers' standard last week. 92 dBA at 50 cm at idle. Big complaining at town meeting but didn't sway the municipal elders. Kind of like the town with the Rock Store in LA doing the same.

Yesterday, I clocked my LeoVince SBKs, with seriously good re-packing and db killers at 82dBA (and 94 dbC) at idle... don't ask about 4000 rpm.

Ben

Well, here it is. Once again, the eve of Street Vibrations 2010. Reno's final end of Summer bash. Or, better put, final grab for tourist dollars. Yes, it's big. Rated #6 in national motorcycle events for the year. And it brings in a ton of money for the city. Mucho appreciated! It's all about Harley's, music, drinkin, and how much you can get away with. This is one event the LEO's diffinately turn a blind eye to a lot of what goes on. To a point. I deffinately don't envey them in their task of trying to maintain control. Reno PD, SO, and NHP deserve all the respect and kudo's possible. Reno for 5 days is one big noisey party. As the years have passed, I find myself praying for snow. And it often happens. Unfortunately, not this year. A balmy 80's predicted by this weekend. I live about a mile off Geiger Grade, a major attraction for those traveling between Reno and Virginia City. The sound is equivalant to that of living in close proximity to an airport. Just a constant roar. With the occasional wail of sirens. No, drinking and then "trying" to ride the Grade, is not a good idea. Those rocks are real, and they dislike trying to be moved by man nor machine. Funny, the noise doesn't seem to help . . . . there either.

Archived