IGNORED

Oil Level fill and check - proper method?

313_Matt

What is the proper method to check my oil level? I couldn't find it in my "Service and Techincal Booklet" and my riding manual is in German. My Haynes says to put the bike on the center stand, wait 5 minutes (or something like that for the oil coolers to drain) and the oil level should be inside the circle.

Sound easy, right? Well, I am not getting consistent readings.

I did an oil change, and had trouble with the filter. (Long story - see the stuck filter thread.) So I left the old filter on and added fresh oil. I filled (on the center stand - slowly) until the oil was at the center dot. I capped everything up and took it for a short ride. 10 mins - just enough to get it warmed up. I waited the 5 minutes and it was at the center dot.

Think I did it right? Think again. I rode it to work the next day, and around to some meetings, maybe 40 miles altogether. That night, being the fastidious (read: anal) person that I am, I popped it on the center stand and waited. The oil level was above the top of the circle!

So what did I do wrong?

Since then, I have gotten the filter removed, and that drained enough oil so that it is inside the circle.

So now I am watching the oil level like a hawk. I'll be popping the thing on the center stand anytime I am stopping for more than a few minutes. I have noticed that the oil level is consistently about 10% of the way above the dot and 30% of the way under the dot.

Is this normal?

313-Matt

PS - I will say that I like seeing the red synthetic in the sight glass. But that is the kind of "show" or "bling" I like in and on my vehicles.

thumbsup.gif

Kinda normal....

Bike must be operating temp (5bars), Let sit side stand 10-15min. Look at site glass, shold be covered w/oil. You're good. You don't need to worry any further.

However for the full monte, now place your bike on the center stand, oil level should be at or near the center dot. You're done!

Please note the bike has got to do the sidestand for 10 minutes to be able to drain the oil cooler, for a proper reading.

Do not spend too much time fussing about oil. Ypu WILL get a different reading every time!

Now.....Watch out for the rest of the replies tongue.gif

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Gordon is right. Put it on the side stand. When you go to ride it next time, make sure you can see oil. Ride.

No no no don't believe these guys. Search for "chants" and "rituals" on this board and you will receive superior wisdom re oil changes and oil level measurements. grin.gif

My method that works consistently...

Coming back from a ride with oil at operating temperature (5 bars), I park my GS in my level garage on the sidestand for about 10 to 15 minutes.

I then place my bike on the centerstand. A few minutes later, the oil level is at the top of the red circle.

My GS takes 3.75 liters of oil. When filled "cold", that places the level halfway between the dot and top of the red circle. When hot (oil expands), it places the level at the top of the red circle...every time.

When I top up my oil (don't have to anymore), I do it when the engine is "hot" and to the top of the red circle. The next morning when the oil is at ambient temperature, the oil level will be down about 5 mm, halfway between the dot and the top of the red circle.

Look at glass + see oil = ride the bike.

These little engines have as much oil in them as many V-8s. It's just not that critical. Unless you haven't seen any oil at all in the sight glass in a month of riding, nothing is going to be wrong. The danger to the engine is more being overly-paranoid when it looks a bit down, adding some when it actually didn't need it, and ending up over-filled. Which will cause problems.

...but to answer your question...do what globar rider does. works for me. there's a tad more harm in over filling so after the song and dance if you see oil at all you're good.

What is the proper method to check my oil level? I couldn't find it in my "Service and Techincal Booklet" and my riding manual is in German. My Haynes says to put the bike on the center stand, wait 5 minutes (or something like that for the oil coolers to drain) and the oil level should be inside the circle.

Sound easy, right? Well, I am not getting consistent readings.

I did an oil change, and had trouble with the filter. (Long story - see the stuck filter thread.) So I left the old filter on and added fresh oil. I filled (on the center stand - slowly) until the oil was at the center dot. I capped everything up and took it for a short ride. 10 mins - just enough to get it warmed up. I waited the 5 minutes and it was at the center dot.

Think I did it right? Think again. I rode it to work the next day, and around to some meetings, maybe 40 miles altogether. That night, being the fastidious (read: anal) person that I am, I popped it on the center stand and waited. The oil level was above the top of the circle!

So what did I do wrong?

Since then, I have gotten the filter removed, and that drained enough oil so that it is inside the circle.

So now I am watching the oil level like a hawk. I'll be popping the thing on the center stand anytime I am stopping for more than a few minutes. I have noticed that the oil level is consistently about 10% of the way above the dot and 30% of the way under the dot.

Is this normal?

313-Matt

PS - I will say that I like seeing the red synthetic in the sight glass. But that is the kind of "show" or "bling" I like in and on my vehicles.

thumbsup.gif

Sounds like you and I were made from the same mold. You must be one good looking fellow. grin.gif

Seriously, I did the oil level paranoia too. My RT's oil level seems to go up and down just like yours. It's hard for us Type A personalities I know but quit worrying. Just ride the bike and enjoy it. Check the oil every few hundred miles and you'll be fine.

Sounds like you and I were made from the same mold. You must be one good looking fellow. grin.gif

I like to think so! wink.gif

I just asked my spouse if I was a "gook looking fellow" and she said "Sure. When you aren't working on one of 3 motorcycles!"

grin.gif

313-Matt

"I thought you said the BMW would not need any maintenance." -313-Matt-Spouse.

Clive Liddell

Matt,

I missed this thread earlier... If your R850R is like mine, they don't have a thermostat and thus IMO run too cool all the time. A bonus however is that the oil level in the glass is very consistant. My model also has the (again IMO) very efficient oil seperator in the breather system and I never get any oil in the air box. The downside of this breather system is the small oil transfer pipe which loops over the alternator belt and needs to be R&R (o-rings etc) to replace the belt. I still have the original belt on at 80000km and it seemed like new last time I looked. In fact, I have only had to replace a tail light and a head lamp globe on this bike apart from routine maintenance, which for me does NOT include lubing splines etc.

thumbsup.gifGordy's right, sidestand is the trick. If you see oil while on the sidestand, ride her.

I've read quite a few of these threads. Someone always recommends checking oil with the RT on the side stand. I have to get down on my hands and knees to see the oil window with the bike on the center stand. Seems like you would have to belly crawl to see it on the side stand. What is with that anyway?

Archived