IGNORED

Moving to California - Need to Ship my Bike

TBoneTom

Oh how sad. I will be leaving Michigan and the cold and moving to California (Santa Rosa). The sad part is not that I am leaving my friends and family who are preparing for another long and cold winter, but the fact that I cant't drive my bike to my new digs. I will have to have it shipped to me.

Does anyone know of or has anyone used any movers for your bikes that you could recommend. I have found a few but they seem unfriendly and I don't want to just give my baby to some totally cold and rude stranger I can't trust.

Thanks for the help!

T-Bone Tom

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Can't help you with the shipping. But the riding is not over, over here, yet. (I never really ends.) When you want to see some of the roads in the North Bay and Beyond there's a bunch of us around here who can give you some ideas.

I moved out here almost 2 years ago now, and I was going to ship my bike from Boston. Instead, I put it up for 3 months until I could fly back and ride it out here. I am very glad I did; it was the ride of a lifetime that I'll never forget.

I left Boston in mid-March the day before a major snow storm hit town. That first day I rode in the cold all the way to warm, rainy mid-Tennessee. From there, it was a nice ride in the warmth to LA.

I highly recommend you consider this. The best shipper will be you on your trusty mount enjoying the experience of a lifetime. Put the bike up in a friends garage on a battery tender if you must until you can fly back and get it. thumbsup.gif

I concur with beemerman2k. If you can afford the time away from the job, DO IT.

Additionally, even the best movers can have accidents. My very detail-oriented mover wrapped my bike in blankets after loading it into his custom trailer with hardwood floors. When I picked up the bike, I learned that a loading beam fell inside the trailer and tore the mirror from my RT.

Ride it yourself and save the hassle and expense of repairs and claims. Enjoy the ride instead!

skinny_tom (aka boney)
You can hire me to ride your bike. All I ask is that you pay for my meals. I will pick up the hotel, gas and airfare expense. thumbsup.gif

Andrew

Well, that makes him cheaper than Marty Hill (last time I heard offers like that anyway). grin.gif

I was going to suggest you contact him, but now...

Well, that makes him cheaper than Marty Hill (last time I heard offers like that anyway).

I think it makes him less expensive than Marty. It makes Marty cheaper.

I just had a 1999 R1100RT shipped from Florida to Colorado using Eagle One Express. They were very professional and provided "door to door" service for $200 less than another company (Federal) that is highly recommended by other riders...and for the same door to door service.

You can hire me to ride your bike. All I ask is that you pay for my meals. I will pick up the hotel, gas and airfare expense. thumbsup.gif

Andrew

You'd actually CHARGE him?! eek.gifdopeslap.gif Hell, if I could take the time off from work and school, I'd do it for FREE! tongue.gifgrin.gif

Oh how sad. I will be leaving Michigan and the cold and moving to California (Santa Rosa...

Can I interpret that as "How happy I am of leaving Michigan's miserable weather and head down to beautiful Santa Rosa in sunny CA?? grin.gif

I used Haulbikes.com to ship my RT from CA to AZ. They did $700 damage to the bike due to inexperienced drivers. They paid the claim but it took over 2 months. I believe there must be better transporters out there. Good luck.

You are correct. Ok, I will pick up the whole tab. You can't beat that!!
So why don't you just get on your own bike and go for a ride - it would be a lot cheaper!

I'll ride the bike from Michigan to Cal for the airfare back grin.gif (My RT is out of action)

Just offering a solution to the guy that is free.

Airfare and Hotel stays are free for me and I have plenty of vacation. So it would only cost me food and gas. In my situation, its actually cheaper to ride someone else's bike.

Never been to Michigan. Sounds like it would be a fun trip.

Sounds like you should concentrate on fixing your bike.

Airfare and Hotel stays are free for me and I have plenty of vacation. So it would only cost me food and gas. In my situation, its actually cheaper to ride someone else's bike.
That sounds nice!
Sounds like you should concentrate on fixing your bike.
I wish I had some influence on that, damn dealer, 8 weeks now (let's not discuss this here, it's been covered elsewhere).
You are correct. Ok, I will pick up the whole tab. You can't beat that!!

Geez, you gave in so easily. And I was hoping to see the list of restaurants you were going to hit on the trip! grin.gif

Archived