IGNORED

R1150R vs R1150RT

jalal

Hi there,

I am trying to find the differences between the R1150R and R1150RT. Obviously the RT is more suited for long distance travel because of the awsome fairing, but what are the other mechanical differences ? From the spec sheet, the R has the 85HP engine, but the RT is 90. Does the R have the GS engine which has more low end, and a bit less top end ? What about t suspension , and gear ratio ?

thanks!

I can't give you solid spec differences but I can tell you that the R is quite a bit lighter and that offsets the HP difference. I switched fron the R to RT after 5,000 miles and I don't remember anything significantly different about the gear ratios from a riding standpoint. I could never get comfortable with the wind noise with either the touring windscreen or the sport type even with earplugs. The RT feels quite a bit more top heavy.

The R1150RT has 95HP. The R1150R has the same engine and drive train as the R1150GS. The R1150R is much lighter and lighter feeling than the RT, even with saddlebags and a windshield. The RT with the large gas tank high up and big fairing with all the pieces for the electric windshield is a very top-heavy bike compared to the R. The R1150RT has fully integrated brakes (Hand or foot activates both wheels) the R has partially integrated: hand does both wheels, pedal is rear only. I love my change-over from the R1100RT to a nicely equipped R1150R.

I have an 04'RT and my wife an 04'1150R. Being lighter the

1150R is quicker in the low to middle range . If ride comfort is an issue for you nothing comes close to the RT.

The R is much easier maintenance wise because of the fairings on the RT. Her 1150 has a taller windscreen that helps in the rain for the head and shoulders but everything else gets soaked. RT has a larger tank that is

usually good for 250mi vs 190 for the R. Finally instrumentation on the RT has everything , gear, oil temp,fuel, clock etc..

Phil

I've had both. The R was just to open air for me. The RT's top gear is more of an overdrive than on the R. I also like the way the RT feels on the highway. The added weight keeps you from getting blown around.

I had an 03 R1150R before i had my current 04RT. The R is not a good bike for 2up riding and definately not for 2up touring - the size, suspension setup, and lack of weather protection make the R a fantastic all-around naked street bike, and if it suits your individual taste a good tourer for one person. The R feels very peppy despite the fact that most rice rockets can run circles around it. It is very nimble and has a light feel to it, and a lot of great low-end torque.

The RT is a purpose-built tourer - from the frame up. It is NOT just an R with a fairing, it is a well thought out touring bike with adjustable suspension, one of the most robust electrical and charging systems ever put on a production bike, and outstanding weather protection. All this gear does come with the price of "top-heaviness", but it is really an outstanding bike. It has beautiful, "muscular" lines and you can still have fun with it on twisty mountain roads.

I don't know whether it impacts you guys like it does me, but I never really cared for the -R instrument cluster/dash very much. I guess that it is consistent with the -R being a "naked bike", but I personally like the "real" dash of the -RT significantly more.

Tom

I have owned both. I first had a 02, R1150RT. I did not care for the power assist brakes and also did not like the linked brakes. Once you're moving, the RT handles beautifully with a great ride in all kinds of weather. At parking lots speeds, it's not so friendly due to the touchy brakes and top heavy weight distribution. I decided to sell mine and buy a non-ABS, 2002, R1150R. It's much lighter, doesn't feel top heavy and has brakes that I like. The brakes are also cheaper and much easier to maintain. I have a Cee Bailey windshield, heated grips (with handguards to keep the cold off the top of my hands) and a Givi trunk. The ride is comfortable, quiet and the bike is much more agile than the RT at parking lot speeds and in city traffic. The RT is more suited to two-up riding than the R. I am strictly a solo rider.

I would suggest that, if possible, you test ride both to see which suits you best.

I also have had both. I had a 99 R1100RT and put 60,000 miles on it. In May of 03 I had a problem with it and traded for an 04 R1150R. I loved the RT and thought it was a beautiful machine; it was black. As much as I liked it it was top heavy and I hated taking the side panels off. I really liked the electric windshield. As for the R, I don't think it is as pretty but it handles much better. I have the touring windshield and handguards. I've ridden in just as cold of weather (20 degrees) and kept comfortable. I have done a 825, 827, and 739 mile days on the R. I never had the opportunity to do that many miles on the RT at one time and did do some 600 mile days. Reason being I usually travel with my wife and it is harder to do the miles when riding with someone else. My R gets better mileage than the RT did. For me, the R probably is the better choice for function.

Archived