IGNORED

Garmin Quest On R12200RT

RoyTemple

I just got a Quest 2, sight unseen, since no local stores carry it. I thought I would wait until I saw it to deal with how to mount it to the bike. Now that I see it, the power cord is attached to the cradle and the included cradle does not look like I could easly attach it to the bike. I already have some Ram Mount parts but see that thier Quest mount does not have the power cable. I think I saw in other posts that the cable can be detached and moved to the Ram cradle but that the tiny screw will easly get lost. Having now seen the tiny screw, I would agree with that. Garmin does not have the power cable availabe as an accessory so I guess I would have to buy an entier second Garmin cradle to get one.

Garmin also has a "motorcycle" mounting kit for the Quest that looks good and includes a power cable but with bare wires so I guess to use the vocal directions feature, I would have to wire it up to helmet speakers. This kit looks like I would need to use the Ram system or something else to mount it to the bike.

I am considering the RCU shelf as well and think maybe I could use the included Garmin mount glued or screwed to the shelf if I went that route.

Anyone got any experience with this or suggestions? I also want to use the Quest in one of my three 4 wheelers as appropriate and as near as I can see, the orginal Garmin mout would work fine for that.

Thanks in advance!

What worked for me on my R12ST was to buy the pukka Garmin Quest motorcycle mount, which happens to connect neatly to the pukka BMW sat nav mounting bracket (which I also had to buy of course...).

The Garmin mount includes power and an audio out connector for helmet speakers, Autocom etc.

BTW, that sounds like a really impressive bike you've got there... a 12.2 litre engine must give it some real get-up-and-go. smile.gif

I rented a quest 2 that came with the Garmin motorcycle cradle.

The cradle was then attached to the bike using a RAM mounting system (ball on the back of the Garmin cradle).

Worked very well on my 5K mile treck (easy to remove and slip in your pocket when parking the bike)..etc.

Thanks for the info and the photo! That looks close to the setup I would like. ! have ordered the Garmin motocycle mount kit. You photo does not show how the ram system attaches to the bike but it looks like it's the ball attached to the handle bar. Is that the case? Also, how is the Garmin wiring hooked up to the bike? Did you use helmet or in ear headphones to hear the audible driving directions?

I'll try to post a photo and information when the kit comes in and I get it installed. thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the photo of your Ram mount setup. The Garmin Motorcycle mount kit came today and I was able to use my existingin Ram mount parts to get it on the bike, similar to what you have but I have the ball clamped onto the handle bar with the hose clamp type mount.

How did you wire the power, directly to the battery? The insert with the kit warns that installation by other than a "experienced installers at a qualified installation facility" voids the Garmin warranty. It seems to me it's just a hard wire to the battery with red to positve and black to ground.

Roy, I wired my Quest directly to the battery leads that feed the 12v accessory plug on the dash, easy to reach, and already fused at the fuse block. I left the Garmin fuse inplace, but sealed it with a piece of heat shrink to keep the moisture out. Yes I know that if/when the fuse blows it'll be a few minutes of work to get to the fuse, but I still remember how to use the ol' mark1mod1 eyeball to read a "real" road map....The Garmin motorcycle mount has worked well for me, almost 4K miles since the install, no wiggles, no jumps, seems very secure.

BTW, I mounted mine on a homebuilt shelf similiar to a RCU shelf. No problem with the visability of the unit, no looking down to see it either. I was going to hook up the audio to a helmet speaker, but after riding without the audio I've found it isn't absolutely necessary. If you miss a turn, the Quest will recalculate the route quickly. Here's a hint, make the recalculate route "automatic, silent". Makes getting "lost" all the more fun! grin.gif

Archived