IGNORED

The Valves The Valves --- I did it!!!

bmweerman

Just had to post 'cause I'm so "frickin" happy!

Adjusted the valves, with a lot of help from my friends, (this means you dear readers) thumbsup.gif and my step daughters tiny little fingers. grin.gif

Repaired the the stripped head bolt, With a LOT of help from my friends, (extra special thanks to eagle mike) clap.gifthumbsup.gifand the wife and I went on the midnight Bakersfield to LA run last night.

Couldn't believe how great it ran...!!!

Still waiting for the carb-tune to arrive from the UK to finish the second half of the service and that should be REALLY awesome!!

Thanks again to all!!!!

Cameron

I bought a 1150RT new in 2002. I have had the tupperware off numerous times and the tank twice. I do all my own maintenance when it comes to routine stuff like oil, batt, air filter etc. I even installed a Teclusion unit. I used to do the valves on a 1971 Norton Commando, but I have never had the valve covers off the RT. Is it really hard and did you really need your daughters tiny fingers. A friend has an 18 y/o daughter with tiny fingers, maybe I could borrow her for the afternoon. My next big challange will be the removal and distruction of the charcoal canister. But, I will have to take the plastic and maybe the tank off again, oh well!! <<<<<Softtail>>>>> dopeslap.gif

No actually it was easy! I used the "Oilhead Valve Adjustment for Dummies" instructions which are freely available on the internet. However, I can't find the link but I do have the PDF file on my hard drive so if you want it PM me and I'll gladly e-mail it to you!

And no, I didn't actually need my step-daughters tiny fingers, she is just nuts for all thing mechanical and wanted to get her hands in there. For me the whole busineess of getting all the valves adjusted equally using feeler gauges seemed like more art than science and she had a lot more sensitive "sense" (?) of when all the gauges had an equal amount of friction.

It's really not hard and actually pretty fun.

WARNING...the head bolts are easier to strip than I ever thought possible!! However, there is a fix for that (thank the Maker) if it does happen.

My little adventure with stripped bolts is here

Hope this helps...Have FUN!!!

Cameron

russell_bynum

And no, I didn't actually need my step-daughters tiny fingers, she is just nuts for all thing mechanical and wanted to get her hands in there. For me the whole busineess of getting all the valves adjusted equally using feeler gauges seemed like more art than science and she had a lot more sensitive "sense" (?) of when all the gauges had an equal amount of friction.

Hunters and Berrypickers

grin.gif

russell_bynum
ROTFL!!! Thanks! and so true!! although Patti DOES have her own gun eek.gifgrin.gif Go figure.

Women typically make excellent shooters. I'm not sure if it's a (lack of) ego thing, or what but I've heard from quite a few firearms instructors that women are better students than men.

BTW cool superbike pix...video won't play on work computer but will check it out when I get home!!

Looks like it was AWESOME!!! thumbsup.gifclap.gif

Women typically make excellent shooters. I'm not sure if it's a (lack of) ego thing, or what but I've heard from quite a few firearms instructors that women are better students than men.

I think it's because women typically have lower blood pressure. Their heartbeat doesn't make the sight picture jump around as much.

russell_bynum
BTW cool superbike pix...video won't play on work computer but will check it out when I get home!!

Looks like it was AWESOME!!! thumbsup.gifclap.gif

Yeah, it was a blast. I highly recommend it.

Here's the professional pictures from that day. (The ones in the other thread were ones that Lisa took on Sunday. These are from the professional photographer from both days.)

I think it's because women typically have lower blood pressure. Their heartbeat doesn't make the sight picture jump around as much.

actually it's more of them being willing to learn vs. i know it already and don't need anyone telling me what i need to do to improve myself

SORRY FOR THE HIJACK

but i prefer to instruct women vs. men when doing ccw and other firearm related education. men take more time to un-learn bad habits, then women do learning new ones.

I think it's because women typically have lower blood pressure.

They may not get high blood pressure as often, but I think most of them are carriers.

Archived