IGNORED

Who has Cut Down a Windshield?

TMH

When I got the RT I purchased a replacement windshield from Parabellum due to finding a "lightly used" one at a great deal. While some other brands got better reviews on this board, I ended up really liking the Parabellum on the RT.

So when I was looking for a replacement for the KGT, I again went with a Parabellum in +4 size. I couldn't find a used one, so I bought a new one from the manufacturer.

Well, 2 days after it arrives and gets fitted to the bike, up pops a used one on eBay for $40! Bummer, but I go ahead and purchase it anyway.

So is there a question in all of this? Indeed. The +4 windshield seems a little tall, so I bought the used one to try to cut down, and get something in between the stock and the +4.

Who has cut down a windshield before, and how did you accomplish it? I'm thinking right off hand to use 2" masking tape on both sides (inside and outside) of the cut, and a jigsaw. Any blade recommendations? Any horror stories, which might convince me to go to a plastics house (TAP Plastics is local) to get it professionally cut down? Or is it generally a piece of cake?

Thanks,

Tom

"I'm thinking right off hand to use 2" masking tape on both sides (inside and outside) of the cut, and a jigsaw. Any blade recommendations?"

I cut down a shield a few years ago using the tape. I believe I used a medium to fine wood blade. Too fast it melts and you do want to be able to sand out the edges easily. Again too fine and fast, it melts.

I used a dremmel with a cut off wheel as it has less vibration than a jigsaw.

I cut down a windshield on my old Triumph Sprint using this method several years ago. I then used a file and sandpaper to finish the edge.

I cut it several times until I got it to where I was happy.

Of yes, I used masking tape also on both sides.

The jigsaw works well. I find it's easier to follow a line than a roto-zip type tool. First, use two layers of tape on the shield as it can tear easily. Then draw a line on the tape where you plan on cutting using a flexible plastic straight edge that will conform to the curvature of the shield. Then on a flat surface, I shimmed the underside of the shield with a 2x4 wrapped in a towel so you can push down on it to hold everything. Use a fine blade ( I think the one I used was for metal cutting...) on a lower speed with no orbital motion if your saw is so equiped. Then file / sand the edge. Wet / dry automotive paper works well to get a polished edge. If you're real good, you can use a torch to polish the edges clear. This has worked for me on a couple of shields.

I took a +4 Parabellum to the local plastics place and they cut it down and finished the edge for me while I waited. Did a great job and charged me $12.00, a lot less stressful too!

Thanks for the input guys.

Sounds very doable if I want to, but also cheap and easy to have someone else do for me.

Now I just need to remember that old saying... "Measure once, cut twice", or something like that.

Thanks again,

Tom

ShovelStrokeEd

I use the blue painter's tape to lay out the cut. Actually use 2" wide tape to define the cut area and make my cutting mark on the tape. Extend tape out 2" or so past on either side.

I use a sabre saw as well with an 18 TPI blade. The secret is to mount the jig saw in a vise on your work bench, with the blade facing up and the handle securely clamped in the vice. Now turn on the saw and feed the windscreen into it like you would with a small scroll saw. You get much better control this way just remember to keep just a bit of downward pressure on the shield and go slowly.

I've cut about 20 windscreens this way. As always, finish with that neat little Makita belt sander.

Jerry Johnston

I've taped up the end of the screen about 5" worth, took a felt tip pen and copied the current curve only down a couple of inches. Used a band saw and sanded the edge afterward.

I use a Cee Baileys +4.5 and like it, but it's too much protection sometimes. I want the option of a shorter shield on the RT sometimes, but the original shield sends air right into my face when down. Can/should I cut it down further to get air hitting my chest? Any one doing that? Is it a good idea? I just don't like the buffeting and want the air. I'll use the CB if I want protection.

Archived