IGNORED

Harbor freight tire changer.

Marty Hill

Was at Randy's house several months ago and it would not accept the 12gs wheel. Is there a new option or something that will allow it to do the 12gs wheels? Has anyone with a 12gs done a tire change?

TIA.

I friend has a GS1150, and we did his tires this summer on my HF changer. You're right the rim won't clamp in place.

We hacked up a fix. Lightly clamp the rim with the HF clamps. Drill a 5/8" hole in a 12"x12"(or 12" round) piece of plywood, and place it on top of the rim. Put one of the center rods in the machine, through the plywood, and tighten it down well. Use a pair of vice-grips to grip the rod and clamp the plywood down on top of the rim. That held the rim in place well enough to pull the tire and cause no damage.

Not with a Harbor freight but I have with my Coats 220.

Did my buddies 12gs and then balanced them with the Marc Parnes kit.

BalancerOnWheel2.jpg

Although the photo actually shows my R1200RT on it.

I did notice that the rim width is pretty thick on the GS wheel, with the spoke nipples on the outside of the rim, as compared to a normal tubeless wheel.

John and Chris,

Thanks for both answers/waiting to hear from others if there is a part that keeps you from building your own. The coats looks great/a bit pricey for me/50 year BE point. dopeslap.gif

Archived