IGNORED

Autocom UHF Radios

ColB101

Welcome to the board....Maybe fill out your profile so we know who you are. grin.gif

You should get alot of replies on this. I personaly use a Ham radio on my RT or my GS. Mainly because I can use it for bike to bike even with non Hams because it operates out of band and I can program what ever frq's I want. Also Ham works in areas where cell doesn't. And Ham repeaters cover several hundred miles. Yes you need a license but since the recent FCC rule change obtaining your license is extremely easy. Also the truckers are using Ham radio more now since the regulation changes.

Like Mike said, help us out and fill in your bio so we know a little bit about you. You know enough about us to ask for help. It only seems fair.

As for the radios, the Kenwood FRS/GMRS radios are excellent products. So are several of the Motorola models. Autocom offers interface cables for both of these brands.

Most folks seem to go with the Kenwoods suggested by Autocom but don't lose sight of the fact that they also suggest ICOM radios as well... I'm very happy with my GMRS/FRS one... A nice thing about some of the ICOMs is that you can transmit at 4 watts.

One advantage of the Kenwood GMRS is that Autocom offers an integrated power/audio cable so you don't need to use batteries or have a seperate power cable. Works great.

Just remember KIM

Kenwood

Icom

Motorola

In that order

There are various brands out there and each brand has various models so its no wonder there’s some confusion, however in my thirteen years retailing two way radios in the UK and eight years using them in my construction business before that, Kenwood always delivered the best overall package for me. I did use some top notch Motorola transceivers in mining in the late 70s that seemed good, but they don’t count against what we are talking about here today, and I have virtually NO complaints from my customers with Icom or Kenwood, which says a lot.

Icom are up there with Kenwood and while I would prefer not at say anything negative about Motorola, I will say they have improved quite a bit recently which they needed to in order to get my vote, and now some of their lines do.

That is based on UK products and the USA products may not be the same, but TopGear have a habit of caring about customer satisfaction and don’t like any complaints so their advice will be very good, as most advice is on this board.

An Autocom Pro-7 can bike power either a Kenwood TK3101/TK3201 or Icom F22SR as both will run on the 9 volt output and so we make special powered interface leads for these.

This link may be of some use http://www.autocom.co.uk/pdf/2q03/radio_interfaces.pdf

but please note the latest interface lead we make for Kenwood now have a false battery pack to make connection even easier.

Hope that’s of some help

Autocom-UK-Tom

Archived