IGNORED

Removing battery for winter R12RT

Richard G

Is it advisable to keep the battery in the bike for the winter on a R12RT with the Canbus system?

Does the computer and all need to be powered or can I take the battery in the house and put it on my Battery Tender like I do with my older bike?

Will the computer need some kind of resetting when the battery is put back in?

Thanks Rich

Your best bet is to leave the battery in, in my opinion. I have a little grey charger that I got from my BMW dealer that is specificallly meant to work with the CANBUS system on my ST. I believe the 12RT has the same setup. With this charger, as long as your battery is not dead, you simply turn the ignition on, plug the charger in the accessory jack on the side and then turn the key off. The charger will keep the battery in good shape pretty much indefinitely. The thing costs $120 but I guess that's the price of convenience.

If your battery is DEAD this will not work. You will need to access the battery directly and I don't think the little grey charger will help.

I don't think there's any really good reason to take it out ether. As long as it is kept charged, even in freezing weather it should be fine. Besides, you might get lucky, even in NJ and get a few riding days in here and there.

It is my humble advise that you do indeed leave the battery in. Furthermore it is strongly recommended that you start it up once or twice a week minimum. While your glorious machine is warming and charging the battery, it is encouraged that she be run through the gears for at least an hour if not longer. On really bad days it is permissible to do this for a shorter time, but then it should be let to rest and again run. This will of course be proceeded by the need to acquire some first rate weather wear. Remember this is an investment and needs to have proper attention if you expect to retain its value in relation to your gratification. Having performed this type of regiment for several years I can attest that my investments are all wonderful and fully charged. cool.gif

It is my humble advise that you do indeed leave the battery in. Furthermore it is strongly recommended that you start it up once or twice a week minimum.

If I recall the manual correctly, then they recommend that you run the engine once every 2 weeks if the ignition is in the off position, and every 4 weeks if it is in the handlebar lock position. Also, I don't think just running the engine at idle is going to charge the battery at all - the alternator needs higher rpms than that to generate enough current.

Of course, riding it more regularly is certainly fine, and is, after all, what the bike is made for.

Jay

Archived