IGNORED

R12RT Questions

Dubyael

Hi All,

Recently got my RT (Mid Sept)and just returned from a weeklong ride. Great machine. But could use some sage insight.

The bike now has 7500 miles on it and the trip computer no longer automatically updates avg MPG or avg speed. I can depress the BC button until it begins to work again, but it only works for a bit, then locks on an apparent arbitrary number also the oil level check only works intermittently. It's quick to determine a low oil condition (even when it's not low) with the displayed exclamation point (<!>), but does not consistently indicate a healthy oil level when warm and stationary (---) vs (Check mark). Have any of you experienced this? Also, I typically engage the cruise at say..75 MPH and work that as my lowest target speed, then work the throttle to my current speed (greater) as conditions allow. When the machine was new, I could allow the cruise to drop down to the 75 MPH mark and it would be spot on at 75 MPH, now it drops down to 68 or so. Obviously it's not right, but I've had other bikes that had "nagging issues" like this and I learned to live with them. Should I just ignore this or start the process of warranty repair? Seems a shame to pay this much for a machine and have anything not right. But if I'm sounding too snivelly, no worries..Thanks.

The oil level must be very near the TOP of the sight glass for the <!> to go away. Remember that the oil level indicator only works when the bike is fully warmed up and idling for more than 10 seconds. I'll be willing to bet that your oil level is near the center of the sight glass?? Mine shows low oil <!> when the level is near the center of the glass. Add a small amount of oil when the bike is cold and on center stand to bring level to top of sight glass and I'll bet it clears the problem.

Don't know about your cruise problem. My cruise works flawlessly. I hold the button forward to increase speed and pull it back to decrease speed. I rarely touch the throttle once I set the cruise. It will do some funny stuff if I force the throttle off (towards idle) while cruise is engaged. I just stopped doing it. Use the button to slow instead or touch the brakes. Maybe too much slack in the throttle cable from the cruise servo motor??

I don't use the trip computer much, but last time I checked it was still working.

Maybe a trip to your dealer is in order??

My BC works the same, kind of detects an average gas consumption, then if I want to update I must depress again.

The oil level display only works when the bike is at working temp, no side stand leg down, and let run for 30 seconds.

The cruise control works fine, press the button up for setting a speed, and press down for resuming to the former speed setted before I released the CC by using any of the brakes.

Good copy, here. Thanks everyone.

Pretty sure there is malfunction in the BC as it will go for hours with no readout on the oil level and arbitrarilly come on indicating a check mark display. All this while at 80 MPH. I've only had it display correctly at a stop, sidestand up with the engine at operating temp 3 times. The ambient temperature has also displayed a possible ice condition when ambient was read out at 48 degrees Farenheit. I'm no meteorologist, but that seems a bit high even given allowances for shade and mountain passes. But better safe than sorry. Have also noted the oil sight glass level to be from the top of the ring to 3/4 to center will trip the <!> alert. Along that subject, have had the bike serviced at 600 and 6000 miles at 2 seperate dealerships and both times on the ride home the oil level resulted in the <!> display. Have changed the oil/filter twice myself (2K and 4K miles) and per the manual refilled with 4 qts and the alert has yet to go off. Suspect either the large capacity oil delivery systems used at dealerships need recalibrating or the mechs are erring to the side of caution and adding between 3.75 and 4.0 qts so as not to over fill. Appreciated, but irritating.

Again, I'm not bitching. The bike is great clap.gif, just wanted to share my experience as well as ask the audience for thier advice and guidance.

Thanks all. Bill/Scottsdale

Archived