IGNORED

12K service, anything I should look out for?

Motorrad4fun

Tires, oil/filter change, valve adjustments, final drive fluid change, brake/clutch fluid change, coolant change.

Check wheel bearings, steering bearings, lube side/centerstand..

12,000 mile service, it should be a good one.

Tires, oil/filter change, valve adjustments, final drive fluid change, brake/clutch fluid change, coolant change.

Check wheel bearings, steering bearings, lube side/centerstand..

12,000 mile service, it should be a good one.

You forgot that the air filter needs to be changed. Think about getting a K&N, save you some cash down the road.

You don't need to change the brake/clutch fluid or the coolant. Those get changed every 24k. Change the fluids and filters yourself (tranny, final drive, and engine). Have the service tech adjust the valves - depending how hard you push the bike you might have anywhere between 4-10 valves out of wack.

ONON-

Mark

ShovelStrokeEd

Or, you could have none that need it.

Checking the valve clearance on a K bike is a trivial task. It can be done in less than an hour if you employ a couple of tricks. Now, replacing shims, unless you are familiar with removing and replacing cams, is another story. I would do the valve clearance check myself prior to bringing the bike in to the dealer. Keep records of the clearances you measure and you will be able to tell which, if any, valves require a shim change. Plus or minus 0.002" isn't going to hurt anything and you could save yourself quite a few bucks.

Archived