IGNORED

RCU Accessory Shelf Kit

questrider

Aluminum_Butt

Existing holes, BUT...

Seriously consider something else if you're going to mount anything heavy on it (GPS). The deflection and vibration are terrible. I've had people disagree with me on this, but after some review I'm pretty sure they all had 1100RT's and the mounting is completely different.

Gadget Guy mount is rock solid, but expensive. BMR's copilot shelf looks good, too, but I've not had direct experience with one.

No affiliation disclaimer applies. I like a lot of RCU stuff, but not the 1150RT shelf.

Bill in Vermont

I tried to mount a Garmin 2610 on the shelf- way too much deflection, so went with the bracket that goes on top of the clutch reservoir with RAM mnounts and love it. A Valentine radar detecter on the other hand worked fine on the shelf.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I guess I should explain the use I need for a shelf or something like it. I would like to have somewhere to mount both a still digital camera and/or a digital video camera. I've seen the mounts a lot of you use on your GS bikes up front on the beak, but I have no idea where you would mount a camera on an RT. It's the same old story, too many good views/picture opportunities as you're riding, but not exactly in the position to take pictures, and/or there is no where to safely park on the side of the road. If I could just snap a frame or two while I'm cruising, that would be great, but where the heck do you mount it? And next year, when I take a trip out west to Utah, California, and Arizona, I'd love to mount a digital video camera and have a few movies of my rides as I've seen a lot of you post. Hopefully by then I'll have my GS and I'll hit David up for his "beak blueprints" but until then, how would you mount a camera on an RT?

(A moderator could change the title of this thread to better reflect the discussion if they so desire.)

russell_bynum

Thanks for the input, everyone. I guess I should explain the use I need for a shelf or something like it. I would like to have somewhere to mount both a still digital camera and/or a digital video camera. I've seen the mounts a lot of you use on your GS bikes up front on the beak, but I have no idea where you would mount a camera on an RT.

I'm doing exactly that.

I've got an RCU shelf on my R1100RT that I keep my V1 on. I recently also added my digital video camera as well.

In order for the camera to clear the windscreen, I cut a hole in the screen (I had a spare) that the camera pokes through. This has the added advantage of not forcing the camera to look through a windscreen (glare, scratches, etc).

It works OK. The shelf does flex/vibrate more than I'd like, but the videos are certainly usable. The camera has built-in image stabiliation, and I'm sure that helps.

I use the RCU to mount my SPIII with no real problems. I did affix a piece of heavy closed cell foam to the front base of the shelf and the front part of the GPS bracketing resting on that, while the rear part of the bracket is attached to the shelf via RAM mounts. This mounting system significantly dampens out the GPS' gyrations over rough roads. I too have a MiniDV camera, but I also use a helmet cam in conjunction with it. The helmet cam is also attached to the RCU shelf via industrial velcro and sits behind (toward the wind screen) the GPS while the DV camera itself sits in my tank bag.

BTW, is that odometer reading accurate? 12 Miles????? Ride much?

Dan

Mine mounted on the existing bolts on my R1150RS.

I have an Iway500 (2lb+) on the shelf w RAM mount on 1/2" foam. Deflection yes but I think its a good thing to reduce initial shock on the unit.

Went with the BMR mount. Also the TourTech GPS mount. My 276c is very happy and is right where I can see it grin.gif. Only draw back is that in hot weather the wind screen doesn't go down far enough! eek.gif

It mounts with the existing hardware, no drilling, etc. smile.gif

BTW, is that odometer reading accurate? 12 Miles????? Ride much?
It's not my bike. That picture is from BMW of Salt Lake. I'm assuming they installed the RCU shelf on a new RT for the picture.

The RCU shelf can be marginal for a full-size GPS like a 2610 or 276, but an easy mod is to run some aluminum channel along the underside to stiffen it up. This works very well; I have a 2610 and a Valentine on mine and it's all pretty solid now.

Archived