IGNORED

windscreen Idea

Felix

Hi,

I have for awhile been toying with the idea of finding a way to make the windscreen go into the "down" position once you pull the ignition key out and back up to the setting it had before when you put the key back in. Just thought it would be pretty cool instead of using the button. Would this be too complicated to achieve?

Felix

Blue Beemer Dude

The Yammy FJR screen goes down when you turn off the bike, maybe you should buy a Yamaha? smirk.gif

Seriously, that shouldn't be too difficult to do - a little logic circuit that when the power is off on circuit "a" energize circuit "b" for a few seconds (to put the screen down). Putting it back up in the former position could be difficult though, as you would somehow need to remember where it was.

But this is the same technology that they use for seat/mirror memory in cages, right? I've always wondered just how that works, especially the mirror...

I just leave the screen wherever it lands though.

Michael

Oh yea? I've had a similar idea! How about the ability to automatically change position with speed? 0 MPH= full down 25 MPH = half way >55 MPH = full up

...or whatever relationship desired between speed and shield position. Would take some type of feedback to sense the position. I like to lower mine some as I come off the highway and drop it all the way when stopped. What do you think? An idea for a new product? I know how to do it, but I'm not sure I want it bad enough...

By the way Felix, you have a beautiful country, a lot like where I live here in the US..

russell_bynum
Hi,

I have for awhile been toying with the idea of finding a way to make the windscreen go into the "down" position once you pull the ignition key out and back up to the setting it had before when you put the key back in. Just thought it would be pretty cool instead of using the button. Would this be too complicated to achieve?

Felix

What's the purpose? Why not just leave it in the position you ride with it in? Is there some benefit to having it retract when you pull the key out?

What's the purpose?

Is there some benefit to having it retract when you pull the key out?

Get with it Russell crazy.gif

It's a BMW grin.gif

Seriously, that shouldn't be too difficult to do - a little logic circuit that when the power is off on circuit "a" energize circuit "b" for a few seconds (to put the screen down). Putting it back up in the former position could be difficult though, as you would somehow need to remember where it was.

What if this same logic board energized the motor in the up mode the same amount of time that it took for the down mode to trip the down limit switch.

That's providing that up/down speed is the same.

russell_bynum
What's the purpose?

Is there some benefit to having it retract when you pull the key out?

Get with it Russell crazy.gif

It's a BMW grin.gif

Huh?

(Note to Eric: I'm excessively dense.)

Hi,

Felix

I think that the question is not "would it be too complicated to achieve" (it actually would be easy).

The question really is "Exactly what would it achieve" other than perhaps impressing the local kids.

Bob.

Russell, I'm just being a smart a$$.

I would not find this function useful either but some of use tend to be gadget fanatic's & I.m trying to emphasis that fact tongue.gif

Calvin  (no socks)

It is possible to do this. There would have to be a calibrated potentiometer on the linkage of the screen to report the actual position to the programable controller. This is how some convertible tops and automotive mirrors with memory work. The memory and re-programable unit would have to be weather proofed after it was confiscated from a donor auto. If I were to attempt to try this feat I would have many hours in design and wiring the actual bike.......Time that would be better spent Riding... grin.gif

...you said it, Ken, you said it clap.gif

As a professional diver, I am used to work with all different kinds of (air) densities wink.gif

It was just meant to be something that I thought would look cool when I park the bike in front of my favourite café cool.gif

From the response I got, I gather I was not alone on this one. I have always called the button for the windscreen "The Batman Button" smirk.gif

I was supposed to do the 36.000 mile inspection next week, but the poly-v belt "gave in" two days ago (snapped on the middle of the Danish/Swedish bridge) - after 36.500 miles - so the bike is at the mechanic getting the service done and since he had to peel everything off anyway, he might as well do the whole thing (the mechanic services the Danish police so Bimsey is in really good - and cheap - hands here). Since my own personal Tech Daze went down the drain I am now stuck with three days with nothing to do, so I thought I might give this windscreen idea a go, weatherforecast is baaaad anyway. Thanks for all the input guys, I will let you know how it goes.

Best wishes from

Felix

Forget the windshield. Go for a hydraulic suspension that lowers the whole bike when you stop. That's where the real bling points are made.

I wonder if new system on the 12RT could be perverted to this purpose?

Proximity sensors would be overkill for this task as close would be good enough.

Some one jump in & correct me if I'm off base, but here goes...

SPDT 12vdc relay that the coil is powered via a ignition switched source. The power source for the 2 poles would be fused & always hot. The N.C. of one pole would be connected to the windshield down circuit. The (down) limit switch turns the motor off.

The N.O. of the other pole would feed an electronic timer that in turn would feed the windshield up circuit for a predetermined time(how ever long it takes the up mode of the windshield motor to achieve the position that you find appealing) After the timed on event, normal operation is restored.

Note that you would have to install diodes to prevent back feed issues.

russell_bynum

Bling ladies and gentlemen, bling!

It's a friggin' BMW. Putting bling on a BMW is like putting neon under a Grand Marquis.

Who are you going to impress? The Cruiser guys will think you're even more of a gadget-laden sissy, and the sportbike guys will still think you're an old fart on a GoldWing. I guess the GoldWing folks might get a kick out of it.

dopeslap.gif

Russell, I'm just being a smart a$$.

I would not find this function useful either but some of use tend to be gadget fanatic's & I.m trying to emphasis that fact tongue.gif

I would like a bike that would complement me on my riding style as I dismounted and say things like "Have you lost weight?" as I got on. thumbsup.gif

russell_bynum

I would like a bike that would complement me on my riding style as I dismounted and say things like "Have you lost weight?" as I got on.

LOL!!!!!

[

I would like a bike that would complement me on my riding style as I dismounted and say things like "Have you lost weight?" as I got on. thumbsup.gif

Oh great, just what I cool.gif need - a sarcastic bike !

Forget the windshield. Go for a hydraulic suspension that lowers the whole bike when you stop. That's where the real bling points are made.

I wonder if new system on the 12RT could be perverted to this purpose?

Better be sure to shorten the sidestand with that mod!

Well Felix, to come to your defense, I think it’s a neat idea. Almost every material possession outside of food and shelter is someone else’s bling. If you don’t believe me, you must not have any Amish living around you… I say if you like the idea, go for it!

I remember watching a guy get out of his car, pressing a button and having the sun roof and windows close up. I may be pretty lame, but that seemed cool to me.

In my opinion (after a little thought), Eric’s idea seems to come close, but I’d use a proximity sensor, which would eliminate the need for a timer. I have not looked, but I assume that there is a suitable location for a prox or switch to ensure it is fully down.

Auto-down would be easy. Add a time-delay relay across the down button circuit that closes upon ignition off and supplies power to the OEM down relay. (Up and down relays are separate.) Set the relay time to well longer than the max time needed to go from full up to full down. The OEM down current limiter will take care of the rest.

Auto-up to a previous position would be a bit trickier, but some of the ideas mentioned could work.

Well Felix, to come to your defense,

I say if you like the idea, go for it!

Here-here.

Felix asked for our advice on how to get the job done... not what we thought of his idea.

Jerry Johnston

I've always lowered mine when I park figuring the mechanism is more durable when all the way down - just in case some bystander tends to try and pull on it. Probably doesn't make much difference but I feel better about it. wink.gif

russell_bynum
I've always lowered mine when I park figuring the mechanism is more durable when all the way down - just in case some bystander tends to try and pull on it. Probably doesn't make much difference but I feel better about it. wink.gif

Actually that's a good point. I once had my RT slip away from me and fall into a gas pump and wound up resting against the pump on the (raised) windscreen. It broke the mechanism. I would imagine that if the screen were down at the time, it wouldn't have caused a problem.

Archived