IGNORED

Garmin on 1150RT

JRoper

I have a Garmin GPSMAP 296 which is the same as the GPSMAP 276C with the addition of an aviation database. I want to mount this GPS between the handlebars of my 2004 R1150RT. My question is will the mounting hardware for the Navigator II sold by BWW work with this GPS? I stopped by my local dealer but the parts guy wouldn't open up a sealed Navagator II box so I could check out the parts. I may have to wait until my salesman gets back from vacation. I just spent $14K with them, you'd think they would open up a damn box for me! Anyway, if I use the Garmine marine mounting bracket, I think it will fit nicely and the cables should work too. Has anyone tried this with a GPSMAP 276C? Does the hardware supplied with the Navagator II allow the voice commands from the GPS to be transmitted to a Autocom? I have attached a JPG image of the mounting kit from BMW.

580198-R1150RTNavigatorIIKit.thumb.jpg.caff10c7b9263447b7d6ac401d892df7.jpg

I have a Navigator II, and I have to say that the mount location isn't exactly ideal. You have to look down quite a way to see the GPS, the view of the GPS can be blocked by your tankbag (if you use one), and you can't use a BigMak flip-up tankbag with a GPS in that location.

That being said, the cradle in the Nav II is the same as the one in Garmin's motorcycle kit for the 2610. If you can determine whether the cradle for your unit uses the same hole pattern as that, then you'll know whether you can attach your unit using BMW's mount. Then you'll just have to find some way to get one, since they're not sold separately.

If I were you, I'd just go with a RAM mount instead. Or splurge for a Gadget Guy mount.

On your other question, the Nav II provides an audio output, but it's on the extra four-button subpanel BMW provides. I wouldn't bet on it working with the 296. However, Garmin's motorcycle kit for the 2610 provides an audio jack. Perhaps they have one for the 296.

I have a Navigator II, and I have to say that the mount location isn't exactly ideal. You have to look down quite a way to see the GPS, the view of the GPS can be blocked by your tankbag (if you use one), and you can't use a BigMak flip-up tankbag with a GPS in that location.

That being said, the cradle in the Nav II is the same as the one in Garmin's motorcycle kit for the 2610. If you can determine whether the cradle for your unit uses the same hole pattern as that, then you'll know whether you can attach your unit using BMW's mount. Then you'll just have to find some way to get one, since they're not sold separately.

If I were you, I'd just go with a RAM mount instead. Or splurge for a Gadget Guy mount.

On your other question, the Nav II provides an audio output, but it's on the extra four-button subpanel BMW provides. I wouldn't bet on it working with the 296. However, Garmin's motorcycle kit for the 2610 provides an audio jack. Perhaps they have one for the 296.

Thanks for the info. On my last ride I noticed that looking down between the handle bars was a bit low like you said. I like having the GPS up on the dashboard of my truck so I can make sure I'm on the right freeway ramp. After some more research, your suggested Gadget Guy mount looks like the best. It's expensive and difficult to install, but will be the most professional looking installation. I found a motorcycle cable for my GPS that has a audio lead so I think I'm in business.

Archived