IGNORED

R1100RT poor performance update

Brycesdad

Thanks to all of you for your input. tonight I pulled of the tupperware to do a zero-zero adjust and found that the screws for the tps are GONE!! I'll have to pick some up tomorrow. does anyone know the size that they are?

Rick Miller

russell_bynum

?????????

Are we talking about the same thing? The TPS is a black sensor attached to the left throttle body with two screws. Are you saying that those two screws are missing? So there's nothing holding the TPS on?

Joe Frickin' Friday
Thanks to all of you for your input. tonight I pulled of the tupperware to do a zero-zero adjust and found that the screws for the tps are GONE!!

I recall from your other threads we had some confusion about terminology.

As Russell notes, the TPS is the small black rectangular item present on the LEFT throttle body only; there is no TPS on the right throttle body. There are two screws that lock the TPS housing in a particular orientation.

On each throttle cable pulley, there is a stop screw; I recall from your previous threads that you had fiddled with these.

On each throttle body, above/outboard/upstream of the throttle body itself, there is a brass screwhead about 3/8" in diameter; this is the idle air bypass screw.

Can you confirm again which screws are missing?

So there's nothing holding the TPS on?

Well, it might explain the poor running if the TPS is dangling at the end of a cable.......

<sigh> who coined the phrase that a picture is worth a 1000 words.... <sigh>

Stan

Yes, The tps screws are missing, not dangling there but in place free to rotate or move

Boy! If only all the service questions were that easy to answer.

dopeslap.gif

Pilgrim

russell_bynum
Yes, The tps screws are missing, not dangling there but in place free to rotate or move

Is there any way you could post a picture of this?

In the picture below, you're looking at the left throttle body. Directly under the person's right hand, you see the black rectangular doohickey with the electrical connector on the bottom of it. That doohickey is the TPS. There are two screws holding the TPS in place. The one on the trailing edge is visible in this picture because it's got a bit of bright blue paint on it.

The other is on the leading edge and is not visible.

DSCN0048.JPG

Are those the screws you're talking about?

russell_bynum

Holy Toledo.

Yeah, you definitely need to resolve that.

You'll need to do a 0=0 (including a TB sync) when you're done.

ShovelStrokeEd

That high tension lead looks like crap as well, right where it crosses over the clamp for the throttle body. Appears to be burnt and cracked. You are certainly gonna need a couple of screws and flat washers. Have to get the dealer to give the PN's details, they are pretty darn small.

Then a full zero=zero job for you.

Well it's not too often a new person comes to this board with a totally new problem / situation, but you get this week's award! I have never seen a TPS loose both screws on its own. Definitely a service _uck up IMHO. You didn't say in your other thread if you bought the bike from a dealer or not, but if so, I'd raise some noise there if it was me.

I didn't buy it from a dealer, I bought it as a rebuilder. light damage from right side sliding on pavement. I rebuild a couple bikes a year but I thought this one would be a nice one to keep for me. Never had a BMW before

Archived