IGNORED

Piaa 1100X replacement

bmwdoc

I have the EZ mount Piaa 1100X on my RT, the ones that mount under the fairing. They have been great, but recently one of the bulbs blew. I have a replacement but I cannot see how to get the old one out. Can anyone help me here? Thanks

There should be two screws on the sides of the light housing. Remove those and the lamp should come apart. The bulb is really more like a miniature sealed beam. Once you're inside, you'll see how it goes together.

My bulbs have burned out also. Where did you find your replacements? I have seen them at White Horse for $44, is this the best price that anyone has found? Thanks

My bulbs have burned out also. Where did you find your replacements? I have seen them at White Horse for $44, is this the best price that anyone has found? Thanks

The markup on bulbs, especially PIAA Superwhites, is outrageous. A quick Google search on "PIAA Superwhite 55w" turned up a price of $24.95, and even that is too much, IMHO. As another example, by persistent shopping around, I recently got four Osram Silverstars (three for the R12RT plus a spare) for a total of $40. Some folks pay that much for just one bulb.

The markup on bulbs, especially PIAA Superwhites, is outrageous. A quick Google search on "PIAA Superwhite 55w" turned up a price of $24.95, and even that is too much, IMHO. As another example, by persistent shopping around, I recently got four Osram Silverstars (three for the R12RT plus a spare) for a total of $40. Some folks pay that much for just one bulb.

I tried your google search and was unable to find the $24.95 price. Is that for a replacement of the BMW driving light bulb or the Add-on PIAA light set that BMWDOC is asking about?

I also have the EZ set and both bulbs went out in a year. Replacement bulbs were over $80 and now one of the new bulbs is out after only 3 months. Beginning to wonder if these bulbs are suitable for motorcycle use. frown.gif

Here is the link I found for replacement bulbs for the PIAA add-on lights: PIAA Bulb

I noodled around a bit and found several sources for these bulbs at under $30 each. This price is for the Platinum series H3 bulb (part 15455), not the "Super Plasma" bulb (15555), which is more expensive. I have not used these vendors and cannot comment on whether they are good sources. I can say that by shopping around I have always been able to cut the price of bulbs WAY below "recommended retail." This also goes for the complete PIAA 1100X Platinum kits, which can be found, for example,on ebay for about $160 including shipping.

I also have the EZ set and both bulbs went out in a year. Replacement bulbs were over $80 and now one of the new bulbs is out after only 3 months.

A while ago someone suggested going to Home Depot or a similar type of store, and buying Phillips or other brand 50 watt MR-16 spotlight bulbs. They are about $5.00 each, and are supposed to work very well in the PIAA 1100s. I bought two as replacements, but haven't had to put them in yet. You have to use a rubber "O" ring to seal the bulb to the lens.

1765479024_581456-halogen_bulbs1.jpg.faf49e97edcdcb33e7cf0bcfdb356e59.jpg

Someone was me.

No o-ring is required between the old lens and the Phillips bulb. The bulb is already sealed and fits/fays up against the lens when the brass colored retention bracket is snugged down. I've been using them for thousands of miles since the PIAA's burned out.

Here is the link I found for replacement bulbs for the PIAA add-on lights: PIAA Bulb

I noodled around a bit and found several sources for these bulbs at under $30 each. This price is for the Platinum series H3 bulb (part 15455), not the "Super Plasma" bulb (15555), which is more expensive.

I think we are talking about two different things- the 1100x bulb is a little sealed beam deal. I could not find these on your site or any others I checked. They all carry the 1100x sets but none have the replacement bulbs.

Only source I've found so far are Whitehorse and Cyclegadets,both at over $40 per.

The good news (for me) is I called Cyclegadgets to complain and they told me the bulbs were warrented for one year and mailed a replacement based on their sales records. smile.gif

The Phillips MR-16 is interesting - I'll check it out. Can't go too wrong for $5. thumbsup.gif

I think we are talking about two different things- the 1100x bulb is a little sealed beam deal. I could not find these on your site or any others I checked. They all carry the 1100x sets but none have the replacement bulbs.

You are right. Sorry for confusing the picture. The correct replacement bulb for the 1100x lamps is PIAA part number 15352. The best price for this model I saw was $33.46 at this vendor: PIAA BULB 15352

Archived