IGNORED

What helmet should I purchase?

sdemeyer

Greetings list members,

I'm in the market for a new helmet but do not know what brand/ model is good for my price range of around $250.00.

As there are a bazillion different models to choose from, can anyone recommend a good brand? My only real requirement is it must be full face. Of course it would be nice if it was quiet, easy to change shield and large enough to install speakers.

Thanks,

Scott

Try them all on. I have an HJC and a Caberg. I like them both but prefer the Caberg as the HJC makes my head itch (no comments...hehe). Your best bet is to try them all on and not just for 10 seconds. Go to a dealer who has a bunch of different helmets and wear them around for a few minutes. People will look at you strange (maybe) but it sucks having an uncomfortable helmet on!

Definately try them all on. I'm a good example here. The Shoei HJC, and Arai helmets I tried, sucked to me. the Scorpion helmet I tried fit my head like an awsome glove. YMMV of course. smile.gif

Another vote for trying as many as you can. We all have different shaped heads, and helmet manufacturers make different shaped helmets. Sometimes different models from the same maker are a different shape. The key is to find a helmet that is comfortable. Some light pressure on the cheeks when new is desirable - this will give with wear and ensures a good fit. Pressure anywhere else is not and can lead to severe discomfort after an hour or so.

Cya, Andy

The best helmet, hands down, is the one that fits your head. Do some research (online) as to what brands exist then head out to the stores and try them on. Then go home and think about it, then head out and try them on again. Plan on taking some time, a few minutes of helmet time doesn't mean much. I made the mistake of not wearing the helmet I bought for long enough in the store and now I need to get another one. A $175 purchase has turned into a $300+. (OUCH!!!)

The Helmet Shop is a good place to research what all is out there. Not all brick and mortar stores cary all brands so you'll have to shop around.

Good luck,

Dean

Ditto on trying them on!!! walk around the store / shop for 15-20 min with it on. Yes you will look silly, but for the few moments that you do will lead to hours of comfort, if you don't it may lead to many many hours of discomfort. thumbsup.gif

I have a Nolen flip up. Also a shoei, a couple of Harley half helmets and some tupperwear bowls from the days of needing to taste bugs and inflate my ego. By far and away my Nolen is my Fav! I will be looking to buy another... possably... at the Motorcycle show in Seattle Des 2&3rd (I think those dates are correct) If you have something to hold you through till then, it might be worth it to see all at once. Heck I'd even lend ya one, execpt my Nolen till then if needed. grin.gif

Welcome and good luck...

Thanks Guys,

My helmet will do me fine until the Dec. show. It's just a teensy bit small and fogs up easily.

Where in Seattle is the show ?

If you like to ride with your visor up, don't buy an Arai. Behind the RT's windshield it's a must for me. My old Arai was no problem, it stayed up. They re-designed them and they just won't stay up anymore. I switched to shoei .

Normally its at the Qwest events center, by the Seahawks feild. If you need anyother info feel free to PM me. I'll be riding up from the Des Moines area (south of Seatac) saves on parking, and cuts down on what I can buy grin.gifgrin.gif

Scott,

If you have time look to see if you can get your hands on Motorcyclist Magazine for July 05. They had a write up on helmet testing and the different standards, Well worth asking around to find one.

It went into detail on what materials they use and what combinations work the best..

Good Luck

Plenty of advice so far, all good.

IF helmet would be selected based on the looks only, this one would on my list. Pretty nasty blush.gificondamnhmt05.jpg

You think that would go nicely together with a yellow 1100S ?

--

Mikko

Another vote for the Nolan. I have a Nolan 100e flip up, Shoei and HJC. The Nolan is the favorite because

Flip up is convenient,

Liner is removable for washing and is cool max I think,

Fog shield that clips inside visor really works.

Removable chin guard helps in cold weather.

Quick buckle is more convenient to use than D ring (except for locking the helmet up.)

Venting is respectable.

It fits me

Weight is OK

None of them are as quiet as I would like.

Good Luck!

First priority is that it fits properly and is comfortable. After that it's down to the features you want.

Double D or seat belt type fastening?

Quick release visor?

Removeable washable lining?

Venting?

Weight?

I've tried on many helmets and owned several, but if you have an Arai Signet-shaped head (like I do) you'll be in heaven the first time you try one on. For me, there is no other helmet. If only Arai made a flip-front... I miss my SyMax, but it just pressed on my forehead too much if I rode more than an hour.

Was in the same boat recently...did my research and the Scorpion won...great helmet and a great price - around $250 in the SE.

just my 2 cents...

I got an HJC flip up and am very happy. Being able to put the helmet on over my glasses was key, and a flip up goodbye kiss at the door is better than a pat on the ars! grin.gif

Comments about noise on a full face are irrelevant to me because I ride with the faceshield up and the RT provides lots of wind protection. i bought two one local to get the fit right, and one through ebay for SWMBO - saving about $60 on the second one.

Fit is obviously important, but the above referred to articals are interesting in that the Snell rated helmets really are too stiff for most non racing crashes and don't crush down enough to offer protection in the typical street rider accident.

Good luck shopping

Hey...I have that helmet...hehe. No, I really do. It is actually a good helmet. I use my flip-up Caberg on the RT and the Icon on the Duc. It just looks good on the Duc. thumbsup.gif

...it just pressed on my forehead too much if I rode more than an hour.

You know you can "spoon" a helmet if you've got "hot spots". Pull the material liner out of the way and gently press on the styrofoam material with the back of a spoon to mash it in a little. Take it easy, stepwise, try it on a few times as you work it so you don't over-do it. Of course you don't want to slice and dice enough to alter the safety of the helmet, just a little in areas where pressure spots bother you. I've never owned a helmet of any brand that didn't need a little "fine tuning" for a perfect, all day fit.

As suggested above, try on as many as you can, then select the best fit, but don't be afraid to do a little customizing on it (for your head or in-helmet speakers).

Doug

had the KBC rep in today there is a new one (good thing i wrote down the model dopeslap.gif) that is a full face flip up and the design allows you to ride with the face up if desired w/out and air scooping, of a sy-max (nice helmet)

he had some nice ones next week or 2 we will be having the ARAI and IKON reps. nice stuff like a new mc finding what wroks for you will be the final choice

I put 30K miles on my 02'RT in the last 2 1/2 years in a Shoei Sychrotec with few if any complaints (listed below).

Like everyone is saying, try on numerous helmets if you can before you buy; every head is different; mine is a shoei head. Some have arai heads, other hjc, etc.

buy a helmet for it's fit and safety, not based on the price. it never ceases to amaze me how many guys out there riding $17k motorcycles complain about an extra couple hundred bucks when it comes to the most important piece of safety equipment we ever buy for riding. my advice; price should be your SMALLEST factor. if you have to buy a cheap on, keep saving. After all, unlike arms and legs, fingers and toes, you only have one mellon and one shot to protect should the helmet ever be needed (deity forbid), so compromise in you quest to protect it. not saying you have to spend $1K on one, but stronly urging you to pick one based on it's safety features and how it fits your head first. by the way there is something to be said for more expensive helmet. manufacturer like shoei and arai spend countless hours and tens of thousands of dollars each year on r&d testing and improving their helmets each year in numerous crash testing scenarios. in turn for their dedication for making you safe, you're asked to pay a couple extra 100. are their other low cost helmets out there just as good? maybe, but again, this isn't a risk i really want to take with the keeper of my girl watchers.

ONLY COMPLAINT, but one I'm pretty sure they've modified since I purchased in late 02':

when I purchased my shoei, they didn't offer a removable liner for it. needless to say it now smells like a dead animal resides inside. my wife mandates it be kept in my garage w/ my baby (rt that is). I've tried everything to make it smell better (fabreeze, lysol, taking a dump in it; pretty much everything short of an excorcism; no luck.

long story short, a removable liner would be pretty dang useful. I haven't checked but am pretty sure the sychrotecs included them over the last couple years.

the quick release system for flipping the face up is nice; easy one-handed opening means you don't even have to take your hand off the clutch for that occassional need to hock a loog at the stop light (or spit your copenhagen in my case).

no problems with the sheilds either. the quick release ability on the newer shoei is a great feature for removing the sheild for cleaning; just put it in the highest (full open) position and unclip each side; it pops out and reinstalls nice. regardless of which you choose, examine the shield removal process; although the quick release wasn't a reason for my even buying it as i didn't even consider to look for it, i'm super glad i did. I have 4-5 different shield i run during different times of the year, depending how much daylight and direct sun i get, and the feature really makes it a snap when i'm time to switch for the season. by the way, the new high-res orange shields offered by shoei are sick. it's like wearing a pair of rose colored bolle's or blue blockers. the shield's not polarized, but the contrast really makes everything stand out. i'm all for anything i can add to increase my visibility while riding, especially among the crazies on socal freeways.

relates to another great feature; shoei offers numerous shades and coatings for their shield. you can mirrored, blue, mirrored blue, clear, light gray, dk gray, greens...you get the idea. replacement shields are around $25.

would suggest doing what i did after you researched which you're going to buy. get the make model and size (and year if possible, because some manufacturer's make subtle improvements each year (air vents, hardware, etc.).

next, do your research online and don't buy the first on you like from you local dealership, they gouge customers so hard that both of my dead grandmas feel it.

after i knew what fitted me and what i wanted, i started my online research; funny how the same helmet retailing for $500 at my dealer was found at www.helmethouse.com for a little over $300. do your homework and you'll reap the benefits (up to and including saving your life).

by the way, i like the design of the synchrotec. it looks pretty futuristic when see it, the vents on either side of the chin give it a saleen s7 look. the upper and lower air vents are low profile enough to still work efficiently and the upper is slim enough as NOT to make like i donned a fake shark fin in order to look cool. beemer riders who've ever been passed by knee draggers running 120 with what looks to a tv antenna sticking up out their helmet can appreciate that one...

take care and good luck.

Capone (a.k.a. CHICAG OBOB)

If Shoei fits you I have a very good experience with RF-1000. It had good reviews and most of all the Shoei customer service is second to none. I have a little fogging problem which they were most helpful in resolving. Helmet is light, has a little spoiler on the back which make is very stable at speed, whisper strip and chin curtain make it also very quiet.

I also have less expensive Scorpion but it's not as good as Shoei.

Mark

Keep in mind that Arai makes 3 different shell shapes and Shoei makes at least 2. Saying "I have an Arai-shaped head" only tells 1/3 of the story. You need to get the right size AND SHAPE. From their website:

The Astral introduces Arai's new "Intermediate Oval" shell shape. It bridges the fit gap between the Round Oval shape of the RX-7 and Quantum series, and the Long Oval shape of the Signet GT, Tracker GT and Renegade. The Astral is designed for riders who need a longer interior shape (front-to-back) than is common with the Round Oval fit, but who also need more interior width (side-to-side) than the Long Oval's distinctly narrow interior. Which means that you now have three Arai shell shapes to try on and choose from, to find the one that fits you best.

Changing an Arai sheild only takes about 5-10 seconds if you are shown the right technique. See the video at Arai shield change videos

If Shoei fits you I have a very good experience with RF-1000. It had good reviews and most of all the Shoei customer service is second to none. I have a little fogging problem which they were most helpful in resolving. Helmet is light, has a little spoiler on the back which make is very stable at speed, whisper strip and chin curtain make it also very quiet.

I also have less expensive Scorpion but it's not as good as Shoei.

Mark

Not to hijack the thread but....What did Shoei tell you regarding the fogging problem? I also have the RF1000 and am very happy with it.

Thanks,

Another vote for the Scorpion EXO-700 and EXO-400. Both are Snell approved and the face shield is ANTI-FOG and really easy to take on and off. These helmets fit like the high-end helmets and have a 3-YEAR WARRANTY!! Scorpion customer support is outstanding. Visit their website web page and find a dealer in your neighborhood.

Archived