IGNORED

Question for Garmin 2610 users; my unit is not right...

Tasker

...and why should it be, after crashing into a ditch 30' deep? eek.gif

I put my 2610 into my truck yesterday, just to see if it worked or not since my accident, and this is what happens:

When I turn it on, it boots up normally. It locates satelites normally. When it tells me that it is ready to navigate, it does not show me the map of where I am sitting (roads, intersections, etc.), instead it shows me an arrow with a big circle around it. Otherwise, the screen is blank.

If I program in a route, say back to my house, then the map appears. As soon as I "end route", the map disappears again and the arrow with the big circle re-appears.

Is this thing toast?

Hmm...

Strange... sounds like some kind of software issue vs. physical damage. But Garmin Customer Service is usually excellent, you might even get a free repair. You might want to avoid mentioning the crash into the 30' ditch, though... smirk.gif

when a similar thing happened to my St Pilot 3 the unit was only reading the base map,hence the circle and arrow,can you program the card (does it have a card?)sorry i can`t help more but i`ve not used one of the later models.

Regards Del

Arrow with the big circle sounds like it's zoomed in so far you're not seeing any map detail. Can you zoom out and see maps?

A couple of other things to try: Go into the Menu page and hit "Reset all settings". Remove the CF card and reinsert it.

Hey Bub,

Sounds to me like it thinks it's back in Taiwan. When the units come from the factory, the home is set to where it was made. It can take up to a half hour to find it's correct position the first time.

Throw it in the truck, turn it on then leave it alone for a while. Chances are it will aquire the correct location again.

Of course, it may simply be pissed off at you for throwing it down that ravine.

Sounds to me like you're only seeing the base map, not the detail map. So eject and reinsert the CF card... see if that makes a difference.

Also, check the GPS satellite page and see how many satellites you're locating and the precision (2d or 3d) that's being rendered.

Just as a comparison, here's the screen on my 2610 with the CF card in:

580196-homescreen.gif

Here's the screen with the CF card out (and the track log erased):

580197-nocf.gif

(I happen to live close enough to the Interstate that it shows up on the base map).

Here's a comparison of the same screen zoom as before with the CF card back in:

580199-home800.gif

Note that without the CF card is in, the 2610 shows a larger circle of position error, even though the accuracy on the GPS Info page is the same. Kind of odd.

Going back and reading your original post, you said that you map reappears when you do a route, then disappears when you get to the end. Is it possible that when you do the route, it zooms out, so you can see the roads on the basemap, but then when you get to the end, it's zoomed in enough that you don't see any basemap roads?

Try this - with no route active, zoom out and see if you can see the basemap roads.

If it is a CF card issue, and it's not just dislodged, it's most likely damage to the connector, which means a trip back to Garmin anyway. The card itself is pretty much indestructible.

If it is a CF card issue

When I got home last night, I played around with the CF card slot on the back of the 2610.

The short story is that this is what the problem was, and everything seems to be okay now.

Apparently, when the 2610 took the hit, along with the bike, it caused the card to twist in the slot, causing a partial connection. It took a few times of pulling the card and re-installing it for it to connect enough for the unit to show the base map.

This morning, on the way to my office, it seemed to work fine.

Thanks to all of you who suggested a look at the CF card!

EB, my screen looked exactly like your screen before I checked the card situation out. I hope this is all that it needed! eek.gifthumbsup.gif

Archived