IGNORED

BMW Tool Kit and Spare Keys

Pickaxe

I'm collecting a new 12RT on Monday and leaving my 12GS in part exchange. Am I right in thinking that, BMW no longer provide a reasonable tool kit, tyre repair kit and proper spare key ? Just want to be correct before I moan at the dealer.

Yep. Actually the ST should come with a small basic toolkit, and a plastic key in addition to your regular key. The RT does NOT come with a took kit [saw it was $80 at some site] and only ONE key. It might come with the plastic key too. Our dealer was pretty peeved about it -- said they're getting awfully cheap, doing stuff like that. My "market launch" ST didn't even come with a tool kit, thought it DID come with two keys AND a plastic key. eek.gif

When I got my ST from Blue Bell in Crewe they advised me that although I'd only get one metal ignition key, if I wrote to BMW and criticised the policy they (BMW GB) would probably provide me with a second metal key for free.

So I duly emailed BMW GB with a polite note and a grumble (lovely bike, very happy, but for the money etc.., my previous cheap Yamaha FZ6 had two keys blah blah), and lo! a couple of weeks later Blue Bell got a new key for me.

Whether you get one metal key or two, depends out of which production batch your dealer got the bike. For about the last six month the bikes come with only one metal key. If your bike was at the dealer or BMW's warehouse for a while, you might still get two keys. This goes for all model hexheads and new K bikes.

My R12RT came with a small tool kit, and when I made a little noise about the cost of a second key, the salesman said "you're right, you should have a 2nd key", and got me one.

all the best,

Mike

I'm collecting a new 12RT on Monday and leaving my 12GS in part exchange. Am I right in thinking that, BMW no longer provide a reasonable tool kit, tyre repair kit and proper spare key ? Just want to be correct before I moan at the dealer.

When you trade in the GS, tell them you want extra $$$ for the tools and spare keys. wink.gif

Yep..

I just traded in my LT for an RT. I also have an R12GS, one of the first that actually came with a decent tool kit that I can just move back and forth between the two bikes. For sure, keep the tool kit from your 12GS.

My '06 R12RT came with the poorest excuse for a tool kit I've ever seen. What an insult. And, only one metal key with a plastic 'chipped' wallet key that won't work in anyone's wallet due to the bulbous end of the thing. Another insult. 20 grand for a motorcycle, and you only get one key. 's boo-sheit.

Over here they supplied the second key without any complaints from the dealer. (in fact they got it without me asking) But the tool kit... dinky little thing, gotta get the extended version, trying to hunt down a Torx t-bar set now...

Bry

Stole the tool kit from my GT, Plan on bitchin' 'bout the key cheapness. Ain't she wunnerful, tho? I think the Krauts jes luv to hear us overfed, sperled 'Mericans cry. Pardon my gramma, I's a little loaded. wink.gif

Yep. Picked up my GS yesterday (what an amazing ride) and I got One metal key and one plastic key. pretty lame

Dang.. at least I got 2 keys and a tool kit with my '05 12GS.

Youd a thunk that they could pitch in a half way decent tool kit for 21 thousand dollars on the R12RT...watup with that huh? confused.gif Hey...lets find out who made that decision and take em out back and beat the sh!t out of em...what ya say, are ya with me..hehe thumbsup.gif

Oh yeah, BTW does anyone know what the cable with the eyelets on each end is for...I hope its not the cable used to lock the bike.. wink.gif

It's the helmet lock. Just loop the cable through your chinbar, and hook it on the hook under the seat. This is for GS's, but probably for RT's as well.

Jim cool.gif

I think it is a shame that BMW provides only one metal key and no real tool kit for a motorcycle that approaches $20,000. That seems to be unnecessarily cheap to me.

Moreover, the 2006 R1200RT base price is for a stripped bike. Even the basics like cruise control and heated grips are options now. At least the brakes, license plate bracket, and saddle are included. Why is this? To keep the alleged MSRP of the R1200RT down and lower than for 2005.

All the above does is annoy BMW riders and buyers.

Even the basics like cruise control and heated grips are options now.

Always have been options over here along with the radio, heated seats, ESA and on board computer. Personally I prefer this flexibility as I can choose what to add and not end up paying for things I don't want.

Paul

After I showed the local dealer my title DL and registration I was allowed to order a spare metal key from Germany, hasn't arrived yet I hear rumors of $53 Canadian, we'll see- Ride safe

Archived