IGNORED

Radio Choices

Robp

I was curious to see what type (if at all) radios you have in your RTs? I am not a big bike radio guy (usually concentrating on the ride), but for those long slab rides or traffic it might be nice.

Will a standard stero work or is a beemer stero required.

Thanks for your thoughts.

rp

Rob, I have a KGT and find that my XM radio gives me all the info I need, to include Traffic and weather for Atlanta. No Boortz or Clark.

Ditto Autocom and satellite radio. So many more advantages to this approach than stereo.

When it's all said and done, probably lower overall cost, better sound quality (IMO) and you gain the extra space for storage.

I bought a used 1150RT that has the factory stereo in it. If you wear earplugs (and you should) and wear a full-face helmet (and you should), the stereo is useless at any speed above about 30 mph. You have to turn it up so loud to hear it that it distorts badly. I'm not sure if it's the amp running out of oomph or the speakers not being able to take it. In any case, I don't feel too good about blasting music or talk out to all the people around me.

I plan on getting earplug speakers if I ever decide I really want audio on the bike.

Rob, I put a sony radio/cassette in the dash pocket, a sony 6-cd changer in the right bag and a stubby sony 1-wire remote zip tied to the handlebar. I can control all functions from the remote. Works good for me and a bunch cheaper than the bmw option.

Mike

Rob, I put a sony radio/cassette in the dash pocket

Yep, this was the option I went with too. There now sits a Sony Marine remote control on the dash, and at some point I may look at getting a small, cheap autochanger.

Works fine through my intercom. And a tip for all those thinking about doing this. Don't bother with the expensive leads to connect a speaker output to an intercom. This lead only servs to step down the power from the stereo to the intercom. I found a lead with 2 din plugs one end, and a 3.5mm jack plug the other for a few pounds. I conected this to the pre-amp of the stereo and it provides a low enough level output to use straight into the intercom.

Steve

Archived