IGNORED

Portable/Temporary Garage

Rockster

This will be my first Winter in this house and I don't have a garage. I've been parking my Rockster on my brick patio in the back yard, with a cover, but I'd like more weather protection. Does anyone have experience with "instant garages" for motorcycles? <example> Any alternate suggestions? I don't want to spend more than $1000 -- preferably no more than $500. I can go up to 120sqft without a building permit.

Thanks!

It looks like you answered your own question in the original post (your example link). If you will only need it for 1 or 2 seasons until you get a structure built, it seems to meet all of your criteria. The Harley bubble is a pretty cool kit, but I think that's more for indoor storage.

well if you are handy, not counting the cement pad, I know I could easily build a 10 X 12 shed for less than 500.00

do you have the skills, and the back yard to do so? If so get going and get it done. If possible install a tap on your home gas line to feed the shed and install a gas heater. leave it set to 45 degrees. you will not see much of an increase.

then install a good zero clearance fireplace, and just heat the place, when you need to work, with wood.

if that is not an option, then any of those temporary sheds work fine. At least they keep the ice and snow off the bike. You can install a couple electric heaters in them, just to keep the bike above freezing. however, you will probably notice use of those items in your monthly bill.

Brother I feel your pain! I too need a place large enough for my bike and myself when I need to work on it. From what I have heard, CostCo sells what we call a Circus Tent. It's a cheap tarp with aluminum framing and collapsable walls, large enough to fit a car, for around $150. This may be my solution until the shed is built. Also, some of the hunting supply stores carry rather large canvas tents for pretty reasonable rates,they even have stoves to go in them for around $200. Let me know what you do and how it turns out. I don't want this to be the winter of our discontent. smirk.gif

Dean

For what it's worth, I simply use a Guardian heavy-duty cover over my bike out in the Colorado weather. Yeah, it gets a buildup of snow, but when it's melted off it's time to ride!

I have never used a battery tender, and never winterized my bike. I ride it at least every couple of weeks and it's not given me any problems. I don't think it can freeze! I've heard reports that the boxer will start at 10 degrees, but I'm not going ridin' when it's that cold! grin.gif

The only problem I've had is the flapping in the wind. The cover has not scratched anything, but I tend the put the cover on only over a clean bike. Some moisture gets in (blowing snow) but only on the bottom parts of the bike. The dry Colorado air keeps things from getting wet...

I had the chance to get an enclosed garage, but I passed it up and will cover the bike again this winter...

Later,

jan

Wow that cycle cover is nice, but once again at 475.00 + shipping for the large item, seems a handy person could build a nice shed for that price. And have room to work as a bonus. But I guess if you live in a first floor apartment or town home etc, maybe adding a storage shed is not an option.

In that case, those covers look nice.

another option is to post your location on every bike board you can find, and/or local newspaper, craigslist etc. looking for a garage to rent space in for the winter. I'm sure you can find somewhere safe to store your bike. the cost of a checp storage unit, might make sense too, if this is only for the season. Just a couple thoughts..of course, home is best, but...

Jerry Johnston

This won't help, but my mind wanders back to the days of the Issetta car - you know the little bug shaped three wheeler that the only dorr opened out the front with the steering wheel attached to the door. It came with instructions on how to preserve the shipping crate to make a garage out of it. Maybe BMW should look into that? grin.gif

Thanks for the suggestions.

The preferred solution is a garage, but I'm a part-time grad student and working full-time, so that's not going to happen soon.

I considered a shed / storage building and maybe I need to reconsider that option. I have room for one but the land is uneven and slopes. I wasn't impressed by the "floor kits" at Home Depot and Lowes so I'd prefer a concrete parking pad if I do a shed -- that's 1½ to 1¾ yards of concrete -- and the ideal place for a shed is also the future site of the garage. smile.gif

It sounds like I have several viable options, so I need to think a little and make a decision soon. Thank you for the advice.

Archived