IGNORED

1200 RT vs gold wing

sjn7708

Considering changing from gold wing to 1200 RT since I like the 1200 GS so much. Any opinions appreciated

I have a 1200GS and 1200RT. I traded my K1200LT in for the RT. I am a former Goldwing owner as well.

The RT and the Wing don't compare, really. They are two completely different bikes. You may as well compare the GS with the RT.

The Wing is a great touring bike. It has loads of room, is super comfy, weighs a ton and sucks gas like it's cheap.

The RT weighs nearly 300 lbs less than a new Wing with about the same horsepower, gets 50% better fuel mileage, and performs way better in the twisties. The seating position is considerably different, and may take some getting used to if you've never ridden that position.

I like my new RT just fine. Over the years I've learned to tour with minimal 'stuff' and no longer need all the extra room, but I'm going to get a top box anyway so I can store a helmet safely away out of sight.

If you're looking for a sportier ride, the RT will give it to you over the Wing. You will also appreciate the huge weight difference. My LT and your Wing are close in weight, and I really like this part. In fact, after riding the RT I was ready to go throw rocks at that LT : )

When all has been said and done though, you just have to go for what you know. If you know you want that RT.. then just do it. I don't think you'll be sorry.

I have a 1200RT and my previous bike was a 1500 goldwing (165 000 Kms) .

After 5000 kms on the RT, i can made a comparison :

. weight : the rt seems to be so light .... Great in small corner ...

. fuel mileage : 5.6l/100km, average. At the same speed (european habits), 8.5l/100 km for the gold

. confort : the seat of the rt is much more hard compared to the gold. However, the riding position is quite good

. seat height : OUps ! very high (the bike has been design for german guys and not for japanese guys grin.gif)

. engine : much more vibrations on the rt (which is logiqual). i've tried an lt before i've bought an rt, and i found the vibration on the lt much more unpleasant (high frequency vibration). In fact, after several the break in period, the engine becomes more soft.

. Damping : bad point (for me) : my bike has the ESA option. for the spring settings, it is ok. But for the oil setting, the damper is too smooth ...

. Beam settings : the settig is very hard to find.

. Lugage capacity : much more better on the gold, for sure.

. Protection : there is a big problem on the goldwing: on the rain, some water is going just directly on you ankle. On the rt, the protection seems to be much better.

. You can ride up to 450kms before having a break at a gas station. For the goldwing, impossible !! (21liters only),

. Brakes : Big difference : lighter weigth and 'special blw assistance' is much more efficient compared to the gold wing disc.

. horn / turn / high beam buttons location : very hard to deal with after 20 years with japanese way. frown.gif

i can summarize that i've bought a new bike because my goldwing has too much kilometers. As the 1800 gold is too expensive, my choice has been the rt (i was not totally convinced ..). Now, i can say i've made the right choice !

Archived