IGNORED

Maintaining Tire Pressures

JamesB

Ideal: you would check your tire pressures each morning before you ride.

Actual: I have been more likely to "ping" them to see if they "sound right." I have checked them "regularly"--but the very act of checking the pressure often reduces it so I feel obligated to get out the pump. Not a big hassle--but enough that I didn't do it each time.

Solution: air tank & a filler gauge.

- previously a lot of the "filler" gauges were not very accurate. In the last few years, there have been some good ones (esp. on sites for auto racing supplies). One example, http://www.longacreracing.com/catalog/item.asp?id=840&catid=8

Got a small 5 gallon air tank from Sears ($42); a short accessory air hose ($8) and a high quality, 0-60 pound, filler gauge ($49-$69).

In the time it takes to just check the pressure, I can either push one lever & add air or push the release button and reduce air pressure. Takes seconds. No hassle and virtually no maintenance. The air tank from Sears even has an on/off valve so you don't leave the hose to the filler gauge pressurized. Not a cheap solution--but amortized over many years.... The short of it is, I'd rather check the tires than not. Not limited for use on the bike, either. (If you don't have a compressor, a larger 10 gallon tank means fewer fills at a local garage.)

I find it annoying to check tires often, but the Cycle Pump that I plug into my accessory outlet makes it handy at least and I can carry it on the bike.

I check my tire pressures about once a week at home. When traveling, or on a long Sunday ride, when I stop for gas I put my hand on the tires. A significant drop in tire pressure would noticeably increase temperature. Normal is very warm but you can still keep your hand on the tire. Dropping into the 20 lbs range makes it so hot that you won't keep your hand on. This way I can find any damage that just happened before it becomes critical. A gas station is a good place to find that you have a nail in the tire smirk.gif

Ditto what Paul said. For a quick and dirty check, checking the temperature after a ride is much more reliable than kicking them to see if they feel solid.

fortunately i have a compressor in my garage. i check mine every saturday. maybe every other week have to add a bit of air. takes 5 min max. have to hand pump my bicycle tires weekly so this is a peice of cake.

Before/after long rides and new tires, I'll check the pressures. On the road I check for damage, but not pressure unless I feel something wonky in the handling.

Why go through all that trouble with a compressor and/or tank? I picked up a high quality floor-pump (from Performance Bike) for $25 that has a built-in (and inaccurate :-( ) gauge. Twenty strokes of that (and easy action) takes my rear tire from 37 to 42psi. It's lighter and less trouble than a tank. Plus think of the environmental and health benefits! thumbsup.gif

Later,

jan

Why go through all that trouble with a compressor and/or tank? I picked up a high quality floor-pump (from Performance Bike)

LOL! I thought I was the only one. Sometimes it's just easier to use the manual floor pump (my bicycle tires get inflated to 120psi so it's a good one) then haul out the hose, fire up the compressor, & wait for it to hit pressure. Usually, I've finished both tires with the pump before the compressor (5 hp 25 gal) is ready.

Jim

for $25 that has a built-in (and inaccurate :-( ) gauge.

Damn...I went for the $5 model at Walmart. Heck, even if it breaks 4 times I am still ahead...hehe. thumbsup.gif

Why go through all that trouble with a compressor and/or tank? I picked up a high quality floor-pump (from Performance Bike) for $25 that has a built-in (and inaccurate :-( ) gauge.
I have a small rechargeable/mains Sears electric pump that I use, it's easy to move around and handles motorcycles, bicycles and 4 wheel appliances. What's more the pressure gauge in it matches my expensive fancy one exactly.
  • 2 weeks later...

Solution: air tank & a filler gauge.

- previously a lot of the "filler" gauges were not very accurate. In the last few years, there have been some good ones (esp. on sites for auto racing supplies). One example, http://www.longacreracing.com/catalog/item.asp?id=840&catid=8

Got a small 5 gallon air tank from Sears ($42); a short accessory air hose ($8) and a high quality, 0-60 pound, filler gauge ($49-$69).

In the time it takes to just check the pressure, I can either push one lever & add air or push the release button and reduce air pressure. Takes seconds. No hassle and virtually no maintenance. The air tank from Sears even has an on/off valve so you don't leave the hose to the filler gauge pressurized. Not a cheap solution--but amortized over many years.... The short of it is, I'd rather check the tires than not. Not limited for use on the bike, either. (If you don't have a compressor, a larger 10 gallon tank means fewer fills at a local garage.)

What great advice I got that filler guage and it is awesome. Could have gone the 5 gallon tank from Sears. Actually went there to pick one up, but got stupid and bought a small compressor they had on sale with a 7 gallon tank. Ok, I admit, I like pretending to have my own gas station.

Still, the annoying thing about checking your tire pressure is the odd angle of everything associated with tire pressure. You try to check the pressure, and some leaks out. Perfect example of that old physics saying about the very act of observing something changes the thing you are observing. That filler guage he mentioned is great. You stick the filler on the tire valve. You can read the pressure. You need to add a little, you squeeze the trigger. You have too much, you bleed off some with a button on the side -- but you don't have to remove the air hose and go back and forth between the air hose and the pressure gauge. It's great. I'm real happy with it. Thanks for the tip.

Why go through all that trouble with a compressor and/or tank? I picked up a high quality floor-pump (from Performance Bike) for $25 that has a built-in (and inaccurate :-( ) gauge.
I have a small rechargeable/mains Sears electric pump that I use, it's easy to move around and handles motorcycles, bicycles and 4 wheel appliances. What's more the pressure gauge in it matches my expensive fancy one exactly.

That sounds like the most practical solution. Unfortunately, I'm an apartment dweller on the second floor (without, at that time, a garage), so the bike pump was by far easier. If my pump's gauge was accurate, it'd be my perfect solution! thumbsup.gif

Bob,

Do you happened to have a Sears part number? (for the pump that is)

Regards,

Mike O

Check mine before every ride, unless I'm just headed on an errand and have checked them within a few days.

I have a compressor right next to the bike.

I'll generally lay down and spin the tire 360 first to check on tread, possible "stuff" lodged in there, etc., before checking pressure.

I carry a Cyclepump in the bike, subscribing to the keeping the elephants away theory.

On a trip, I'll check them every third day or so, and in between use Paul's "hand on the tire" method at gas stops.

Archived