IGNORED

1200ST Throttle return

MarshMan

I have about 4,500 miles on my ST. My throttle return is sticking, although everything else seems fine. Not a ton of wrenching experience on bikes, although I'm reasonably mechanical. Is this something I can correct myself? Anybody have any suggestions. All help appreciated.

Anita, I would suggest that you have your dealer look at the problem, clearly a warrenty item, and also, there is a throttle assy recall. My ST has over 14,000 miles and the throttle is very smooth.

That was happening to my ST. I was beginning to take on the disasembly of the throttle when luckily I found the problem to be caused by the handgrip gradually sliding to the outside and engaging the end weight. Problem corrected by just loosening the endweight and allowing it to move a couple of mm. You need the proper wrench for that. I don't know how to get the handgrip to slide back to it's original position.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll let you know how it turns out. I called my service dept, guy suggested checking to make sure that nothing was amiss with the throttle cables whee they join the throttle body (bodies?) near the engine.

I didn't think this was such a helpful suggestion, since as far as I can tell you can't get there without taking the fairing off--true? In any case, the problem seems to have disappeared for the moment. Hmmm.

I am unaware of any throttle recall, although I did get all the stuff on the ABS brakes. Are you sure about that? Dealer didn't mention it either.

By the way, I will be changing my screen name for two reasons: AnitaBeemer was cute pre-BMW. Getting less cute now, especially since about 50% of you think I'm a lady biker.

I am unaware of any throttle recall, although I did get all the stuff on the ABS brakes. Are you sure about that? Dealer didn't mention it either.

I never got a notice for the throttle recall either. But a week ago, when I had my ST in the shop for another warranty issue, the recall throttle work was done at the same time.

You may want to call the service folks, give them your VIN number and see if your ST is being recalled too.

Archived