IGNORED

NASA commander Alan Poindexter....NO SEX!

Whip

Dave McReynolds

Human beings are such funny creatures. You know that every astronaut that has ever been sent into space is looking for the right opportunity to have sex up there, which probably includes Alan Poindexter. It is totally predictable what he would say (well, maybe not totally predictable, look what Gen McChrystal and associates said) in an official interview, and also totally predictable what would actually happen, given the opportunity.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Human beings are such funny creatures. You know that every astronaut that has ever been sent into space is looking for the right opportunity to have sex up there, which probably includes Alan Poindexter. It is totally predictable what he would say (well, maybe not totally predictable, look what Gen McChrystal and associates said) in an official interview, and also totally predictable what would actually happen, given the opportunity.

Given that astronauts are the public face of NASA, I'm pretty sure the agency chooses them based on not just technical ability, but on their personal merits. ISTR that the Mercury Seven were even sent to charm school before they made their public debut. Note also that Bill Oefelein was dismissed from the astronaut corps for his affair with fellow astronaut Lisa Nowak, despite the fact that he hadn't broken any laws.

Also considering that most (all?) astronauts are married, it's probably best for NASA to just proscribe any sort of low earth orbit bedsport; taxpayers do not want to hear that their tax dollars are being spent so that a few high flyers can commit adultery.

Dave McReynolds

Also considering that most (all?) astronauts are married, it's probably best for NASA to just proscribe any sort of low earth orbit bedsport; taxpayers do not want to hear that their tax dollars are being spent so that a few high flyers can commit adultery.

And I wish them all the success in the world with this proscription, just as I do the Navy in proscribing booze on Navy ships, and the Catholic church in requiring all its priests to be celebate.

SAAB93driver

Reading it carefully the answer printed, if verbatim, is a non answer.

If having sex was part of the job/mission then it doesn't necessarily mean it has to be a

"personal" relationship. It happens everyday in the red light districts around the world as a business transaction without being personal.

taxpayers do not want to hear that their tax dollars are being spent so that a few high flyers can commit adultery.

Wait a minute! What about congress?

Someone should donate a book by Margaret Mead to him. People are going to do what people have always done....

He truly live up to his name.......A real Poindexter.

My favorite James Bond movie line from all time, as Mission Control is watching him work his magic on the Space Shuttle...

"My God, he's attempting re-entry!"

PhillyFlash

Well, I can't comment on the rest of the article, or what may or may not happen behind closed doors, but I can agree with, "... said a serious-faced Mr Poindexter." The first time I rode with Dex was up in Eureka Springs at Un 2. I was riding behind him, we were all moving at a pretty nice pace, and when he ran wide through a curve and miraculously came to a stop in lots of dirt and gravel, still with the bike upright, he was definately serious-faced. As a matter of fact, just as he was going off the road I could have sworn I heard, "Mission control, we have a problem," or it may have just been, "Oh, shit!!!" But they're really one in the same, aren't they.

P.S. I think that was one of Dex's early voyages on his RT, and he improved greatly the next time I rode with him.

While we are on the subject and from the Red Dwarf series

Space Corps Directive #34124

No officer with false teeth should attempt oral sex in zero gravity

And here are the rest - Linky

Steve

Archived