IGNORED

Frustrated with bug removal ...

CharlieAllnut

CharlieAllnut

I picked up a lot of bugs in New Mexico in July, and the little critter corpses had a lot of time in high temps to bake on pretty firmly. So far they've resisted soaking with warm water and any bug removal products I've tried.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Have had bugs on my bike up to a month or so after a trip, due to laziness. The best thing I have found is the hottest water I can stand on my hands while holding a saturated rag. Just drizzle the hot water over the bugs and they just slide right off. Have also tried hydrogen peroxide, which works fairly well. Some will say it will denegrate the paint, but they are wrong, it does no harm. Those guys probably haven't tried it. REFLEX is something else I have heard about but not tried. Used on airplanes, supposedly makes the bugs just slide right off with minimal washing effort. Think it costs around $20. Do a search on the WWW and you will find it. The best solution, for us anyway, is to kill all the damn bugs!!!!!

I use Hydrogen Pyroxide. It breaks down organic matter very well and I have seen no adverse effects on my finish. I spray it on, leave it for a while, more the bug crap around with a sponge and spray it off with garden hose (light mist). Strong sprays of water is never a good idea.

Good luck.

Ride safe.

Bob

...Strong sprays of water is never a good idea.

You're not talking about a strong spray of water from a garden hose against the windscreen are you? If so, why is it not a good idea?

Regards,

Mike O

Warnings:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

May damage plastics, vinyls, fiberglass and oxidized metals. Eye protection recommended. People with sensitive skin should use solvent resistant gloves. Read entire label before using.

Have you had any paint degredation, softening of plastic?

I use Hydrogen Pyroxide.
I have tried pyroxide with no luck what-so-ever. What it is I have trouble removing is the vague impression left from the bug splatter. I don't have any trouble washing off bugs, but the "spot" from some bugs lingers on for a long, long time. Pyroxide will not remove what I suspect is a protein spot. It doesn't bother me much as you can usually only see the spot from an angle in light. Not all bugs leave these spots.
I picked up a lot of bugs in New Mexico in July, and the little critter corpses had a lot of time in high temps to bake on pretty firmly. So far they've resisted soaking with warm water and any bug removal products I've tried.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Try isopropyl alcohol (the 99% pure stuff). This will not hurt the most delicate plastics (in other words, the lexan (polycarbonate) windshield, not will it hurt paintwork, rubber, or anything else on the bike. It is not a guarantee that it will remove the bugs, but it should soften the dried on stuff. Unlike any water solution, it is also a moderately good non-polar solvent, so it can remove some types of crud that water (which is a polar solvent only) cannot.

It is available at drug stores as "Isopropanol", "Isopropyl Alcohol", or (the old name) "Rubbing Alcohol". Use the 99% pure stuff, not the lower percentage that is diluted with water.

Bob.

Goof Off

greg

Warnings:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

May damage plastics, vinyls, fiberglass and oxidized metals. Eye protection recommended. People with sensitive skin should use solvent resistant gloves. Read entire label before using.

Have you had any paint degredation, softening of plastic?

First off, NO solvent is going to damage any metal, or any oxidized metal (rust??!). Further, no common solvent will touch fiberglass (i.e. polyester of epoxies) either. Wear eye protection?? Isn't that what is labelled on screwdrivers and hammers now? That sort of warning is so overused now, it is meaningless! smirk.gif

The thing to REALLY be careful of is the lexan windshield. Lexan (i.e. polycarbonate) is EXTREMELY solvent sensitive. You should never use this stuff around lexan, since it is a mixture of (unknown) solvents. The ONLY common solvents safe for polycarbonates are alcohols (the best choice being isopropanol).

Bob.

ClearwaterBMW

i think one other good rule of thumb:

when you use solvents to remove bugs (NOT ON LEXAN, as was just said)... you should IMMEDIATELY afterwards:

1. wash the area with soap and water

2. apply more than 1 coat of wax to the area that was solvented (not a word)

greg

ShovelStrokeEd

Good old Plexus works fine for me. Use it all over the bike except for tires and seat. Let it soak on the bugs a bit. Won't bother polycarbonates.

The lowest-tech and cheapest solution is the best: Baking Soda. Just make a paste with water, brush it on with a soft brush or smear it on with a cloth, let it sit a few minutes, and gently wash it off. I've been doing this for forty years and have never had it fail to do the job. Non abrasive and harmless to the paint or the plastic of your windshield. I always carry a little baggy of the stuff so that I can clean the windshield at gas or coffee stops.

The lowest-tech and cheapest solution is the best: Baking Soda. Just make a paste with water, brush it on with a soft brush or smear it on with a cloth, let it sit a few minutes, and gently wash it off. I've been doing this for forty years and have never had it fail to do the job. Non abrasive and harmless to the paint or the plastic of your windshield. I always carry a little baggy of the stuff so that I can clean the windshield at gas or coffee stops.

Good call! Baking soda is mildly alkaline, and therefore is good at breaking down organic matter. One might even try a dilute solution of sodium hydroxide (AKA Lye, available at larger grocery stores) if the baking sody appears to show promise, but doesn't quite make it. Moderately strong basic (i.e. alkaline) solutions will not damage anything on the bike that is plastic, paint or any kind of steel (normal or stainless), but extended exposure to unprotected (i.e. bare) aluminum should be avoided.

Bob.

May damage plastics, vinyls,

First off, NO solvent is going to damage any metal, or any oxidized metal (rust??!). Further, no common solvent will touch fiberglass (i.e. polyester of epoxies) either. Wear eye protection?? Isn't that what is labelled on screwdrivers and hammers now? That sort of warning is so overused now, it is meaningless! smirk.gif
Sorry, I'll try to clip my cut and paste a little tighter next time. My point was the line above to which I knew the answer, but others may not have. smile.gif

Archived