IGNORED

First Gear textile jacket fraying

tpfeffer

I have a First Gear Magnum textile jacket that I bought about 16 months ago. It has seen moderate use. However, on one sleeve the nylon is fraying on the bottom of the sleeve (where presumably my arm rests on table tops, etc) and higher on the inside of the sleeve where it rubs against main body of the jacket. Not a very good explanation.

The two areas of fraying are both on the same panel of fabric. No other areas are fraying including the corresponding areas on the other arm. Since the fraying is limited to one fabric panel, I am thinking perhaps there was a manufacturing defect with this section of fabric.

Anyway, my question is this normal? With the limited use, I am disappointed to say the least of the apparent service life of the jacket.

I took it back to the BMW dealer where I bought it and got the "I don't know" shrug.

Any comments or suggestions (other than pop for a big bucks BMW jacket)?

Jerry Johnston

Two years ago I was told by a Belstaff salesman that First Gear was now being made overseas and the quality has gone down hill. If true it's a shame because they used to be one of the higher quality jackets for the money.

Two years ago I was told by a Belstaff salesman that First Gear was now being made overseas and the quality has gone down hill.

Gee, imagine a Belstaff salesman having that opinion... grin.gif

I have some older Firstgear leather stuff and it is the closest thing I have ever found to indestructible clothing... still going strong after 15 years of heavy use. But can't really comment on the newer textile stuff though, perhaps quality has diminished in that line.

Two years ago I was told by a Belstaff salesman that First Gear was now being made overseas and the quality has gone down hill. If true it's a shame because they used to be one of the higher quality jackets for the money.

I don't agree. I have both First Gear apparel and Belstaff apparel. I think the Belstaff is perhaps 1 notch above First Gear however First Gear is still top quality. We've purchased at leat 4 jackets in the last three years (two of us) and are very pleased with the quality of their apparel.

Send it back to FirstGear. Their customer service is great. Even if they won't warranty it (16 months old) they will repair it at a minimal charge.

I second Ken's suggestion. I sent them an out of warranty pair of leather overpants, they came back to me repaired so well I swear they used the same needle holes. And perhaps more importantly, NO CHARGE (other than shipping).

They made me a dedicated customer. thumbsup.gif

I have 2 First Gear jackets, one leather and one mesh, both 2 years old. Excellent quality and value (the mesh was inexpensive, the leather was not. Although the leather wasn't cheap, it was worth every penny). Both are in as new condition after around 22,000 miles. The leather First Gear jacket is the highest quality, most substantial piece of motorcycle gear I have ever worn.

Archived