IGNORED

Latest Update to Garmin City Select NA on DVD Only

marcopolo

I bought a Garmin 276C this past April, along with Mapsource City Slect North America v6.02 (it came on 2 CD-ROMs). I love the unit, by the way, and made great use of it this summer. I received a Garmin e-mail a few days ago informing me that Garmin had updated City Select map data to v7. I ordered the "free" update disc (unlock code, however, is an additional $75). When I opened the envelope with the disc, I was surprised to see that it was on a DVD, not a CD. Given that I don't have a DVD drive on my PC, I sent Garmin an e-mail asking whether I could get it on CD-ROM. The short answer is no. As they said in their reply to me, "...they did move exclusively to DVD with V7 as the data was so big and unwieldy it was causing problems in CD form. It was done to try to make the installation dialog smoother and minimize the install errors that were arising with the previous (CD) versions. They didn't make CD's for V7 with City Select North America, unfortunately...it all went exclusively to DVD."

That means I'd have to buy a DVD drive, install it in my PC, then pay another $75 for the unlock code for the disc. I think I'll pass. Just wanted to let others know, so you won't be surprised like I was.

a DVD reader (not a writer) runs about 27.95 at most mail order places. pretty cheap for a reader. might be a reason to buy one. Currently I have 6.02 and was thinking of upgrading, but like you I have a CD reader/writer, but no DVD reader. time to search the internet and see what prices are for a DVD reader.

Archived