IGNORED

R1200RT GPS Mounting

Pickaxe

Hi

Can anyone suggest a UK retailer, who can supply a 1 inch ball on a stud, for mounting the RAM arm to the bar fastners on my new 12RT.

My present set up on the 12GS is a ball on a U clamp, which is no good for the RT.

I've tried adventure motorcycling, who want to sell me the complete arm and bracket at a very expensive £60.

Hi

Can anyone suggest a UK retailer, who can supply a 1 inch ball on a stud, for mounting the RAM arm to the bar fastners on my new 12RT.

My present set up on the 12GS is a ball on a U clamp, which is no good for the RT.

I've tried adventure motorcycling, who want to sell me the complete arm and bracket at a very expensive £60.

Can't help you in the UK, but cycoactive.com here in the states has several ideas.

http://www.cycoactive.com/gps/gallery/bmw_gpsmount.html

I made a setup to use their "grab11" ball with a piece of steel tubing to fit into the extra mirror mount hole in the handlebar unit.

The U clamp will work but only out at the end of the handle bars. I installed two of these one on each handle bar. I removed two of the handle bar mounting bolts and installed them using longer bolts and flat washer. I use the BMW mount between the bars for the GPS and then have a radar detector to the right of the GPS and XM to the left.

ramb252.jpg

Hi

Go to ukgsers.com see Steve AKA Ram Man, he will help you out....

I only foung this source after importing my kit

http://www.svsp.co.uk/

They are in the horshoe bend on the River Severn in Gloucestershire (5 miles from my house!!)

I used the following item

http://65.102.174.119/rammount/productdetail.aspx?partnumber=RAM-B-252U

on one of the bolts at the inside of the handlebars mounting bolts and positioning the RAM arm up behind the clutch reservoir.

I then moved on to the Motorrad Concepts mount for the GPS which is perfect (in conjunction with the Garmin Motorcycle Mount) except that it would foul the Cee-Bailey flatter screen so I've moved on to the BMR shelf system.

Regards

Many thanks for all the replies. I've ordered the ball pictured in david_s's post and will secure it to one of the bar to upper yoke bolts. Bike arrives on Monday smile.gif

I can mount my SP III or the 60CS on the mount shown in the picture below

GPS60OnBMW.jpg

But I have just installed a Farkle City

accessory bar and mounted the SP III on a Tourtech mount.

Touratech3.jpg

It clears the windshield when in the full down position and does not block the view of any instruments.

Touratech2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Like Satguy, I'm very pleased with the Motorrad Concepts mount - see their site at Motorrad Concepts . I'm using it with a Garmin 276C rather than one of the 26xx or Quest units. This is the best made and best looking of the GPS mounts for the R12RT that I've seen. Like a shelf, it puts the GPS where it's easy to see without taking your eyes far from the road, but it doesn't vibrate or bounce like a shelf. It also has a more elegant, sort of "built-in" look. I also think it's much more secure and better looking than the ball and clamp type mounts.

To use this mount with the Garnim 276C or 376C, you simply detach the cradle from the marine mount that comes with those units and attach it to the Motorrad Concepts mount. The five holes in the cradle line up perfectly with five of the tapped holes in the Motorrad mount. The 15mm screws supplied with the mount are just a bit long for a tight fit, so you either need to slightly shorter screws, say 12 or 13mm, or put spacers or washers between the cradle and mount. I used little nylon spacers that were about 2mm thick; the result is a VERY secure connection of the cradle to the mount.

Attached some photos of my setup:

Motorrad Concepts GPS mount

Brian

In the post above, I said: ......The 15mm screws supplied with the mount are just a bit long for a tight fit, so you either need to use slightly shorter screws, say 12 or 13mm, or put spacers or washers between the cradle and mount......

Actually, the supplied screws are 16mm long and 14mm screws will work better than the 12 or 13mm stated above. Sorry for the confusion!

Brian

Archived