IGNORED

If I had to do it all over again I

johnlt

Many folks will always defend their decisions on purchases (even to themselves) but if they are presented with the same decision later, and they make the same decision, you can generally be sure they really like it. With respect to aftermarket options on your bike, would you make the same decision again? I know I would in some cases and wouldn’t in others. My list is:

Seat: Started with the comfort, changed to a Sergeant, changed to a low version of the Rocky Mayer, now have a Russell. If I had to do it all over again, I’d go back to the Rocky Mayer only get the standard instead of the low version (knees).

PIAA 1100: I’d do it again, I love them

PIAA 910: Would not add them. Even though they look down the road farther, I think I got 90% of the improvement with the 1100s.

Autocom: Do it again in a heartbeat. Works great

Back-off LED brake light addition: Probably not, go with a simpler system. Don’t need the flashing

Signal Minder: Yes, until they come out with a self canceling system, I like it

Tank Bag: Started with the BMW bag and I still think it looks the best. Changed to the big MAC. If I had to do it again, I’d evaluate others. I like the BIG MAC ability to hinge forward for fuel but would like larger zippered or snapped side pockets for stuff I need when riding. May consider modifying my current one

Windshield: Started with the BMW “tall” and switched to the CB +4 ½ + 2 and am very happy. I get the same CB again

GPS: Started with SP-III and now have a 276C. Love the 276C but if I had to do it again I’d look hard at the 2720. 276C has great resolution but poor contrast in “indirect light”. Great at night and great in “direct” sunlight. Would also consider 376C, not for weather but for the XM.

BMW Radio/tape: Maybe. Like being able to use the tape adapter to my XM allowing the use of the handle bar mute and volume but extremely expensive if that’s all you use it for. In my current paradigm where I ride to work some of the time, I do use the FM radio for the all news and weather station but it’s useless on the highway.

Helmet: Got a Schuberth from the start and would do it again

Jacket: Got a Savannah II, then a Darian, then a Belstaff Discovery. If I had to do it again, I’d get the Savannah II for Spring Summer and Fall. I get the Belstaff for Fall, Winter and Spring. I don’t like the Darian; it is very functional but uncomfortable and ugly.

As you can see, I’d make some of the same decisions but not all. How you you?

This will be a fun thread:

1. Summer Jacket - Started with Firstgear meshtex, then went to BMW Airflow II. Would have gone the BMW route first and saved myself $150.

2. GPS - Ended up with Quest. Seriously considered 2610, but ended up with Quest. Good decision as I'm not using it near as much as I thought I would.

3. Seat - Started with Standard, went to Comfort, bought a used custom, and now have Rocky Mayer - Wouldn't have wasted my time on other seats and just went straight to Rocky (Bill) Mayer.

4. Autocom - went with Easi-com (because I just wanted rider to pillion); wish I would have gone with Autocom Pro.

Another interesting aspect is maintenance. Knowing what I do now, I would have started doing my own maintenance MUCH sooner. The savings would have allowed me to play around with a few more accessories, EARLIER.

Regards,

Mike O

Did you use anything other than the Autocom?

What would your passenger say about the seats? The Russell looks more comfy ( wider ) R1100RT.

What there's extra gear for BMW riders?????? grin.gifgrin.gif

Autocom- Would do it all over again love it

Signal Minder- Like it would buy again

CB Windshield- Love it and did repurchase a second when it broke... but I would like to try others just to compare

Stephen

Interesting...

Big MAC: would do it again.

Bob's Wrist Rest: do again.

First Gear Mesh Jackst: Much better than I expected. If it wears out, I might mover to a higher quality mesh jacket, but the FG is everything I hoped it would be.

Parabelum: Bike came with this windshield, I like it.

Rich's Custom Seat: Better than stock, but could be more comfy.

R1100RT: I'd do this again, or it's latest itineration.

Would I do it over?

R1150RT - probably, I might look at an 1100 though to get rid of the servo brakes.

BMW Top Box - no, I'd go with the Givi.

San Jose dual plugs - no, just ride at higher revs and tune it myself.

Big Mac tank bag - absolutely.

XM radio - yes

Az Al's earplugs - Yes, both with and without speakers, great.

RAM mounts - yes, but my first XM seems to have died, wonder about vibration.

Russell seat - without doubt the worst thing I have EVER bought for a motorcycle, fortunately they took it back.

Gerbings jacket - yes, though I'd get a custom length as it is too short.

CB +4 windshield- no, nothing wrong with it but...

CB +6+4 monster windshield - this was better (I use a 3/4 helmet so need wind protection)

Cycloak jacket - yes, great jacket for cooler weather and Waterproof.

First Gear riding pants - yes, very comfortable and removable liner makes them adaptable.

First Gear mesh pants - no, didn't help much on the RT, uncomfortable.

Sidi Sympatex boots - yes yes yes, possibly the best thing I evr bought, comfortable for riding and walking, Waterproof.

Arai 3/4 helmet - yes, freedom!

Arai Signet full face - OK if you like cages.

Guard Dogs sunglasses - yes, have two sets with different lenses and have their goggles.

MEZ4s - yes, I liked those tyres but they wore out too quickly, haven't tried MEZ6 because...

ME880s - yes, good for longer distance riding.

Bob's wrist rest - yes

Throttlemeister - no, waste of money.

Wurth feeler gauges - yes, very convenient

TwinMax - yes

Ulrich's plug socket - yes.

Helen Two Wheels bags - no, can't see any particular advantage to them over cheaper versions.

StopNGo flat fix - not convinced, used once but didn't work, there were extenuating circumstances though.

Southwest Moto tyres - yes, 10 perfect orders in the last 2 years.

Good grief I've spent a lot of money since I bought the BMW!

Yes-'04 R1150RT Not perfect, but it was the best solution for what I do and how I'm built.

Yes-aerostich..owned JR, Belstaff, Fieldsheer, etc. Pricey, but worth it.

No-Rocky Mayer seat. Lot's off good luck in the past, but on the RT it just didn't work.

Yes-Throttlemiester

Yes-PIAA 1100

Yes-Hella FF50's..I've spent more money on bad beer for one night! Lot's 'O bang for the buck.

Yes-Big Mac tank bag-It's the stuff!

Yes-XM

Yes-Autocom Easi-7. Does what I need it to do.

Yes-Yes-Autocom full face mic kit. They don't market this gem well enough.

Yes-Rob Neff wheel balancer

Yes-Twin Max

Yes-Wurth Feelers

Yes-CB Monster Screen

No-CB saddle

No-Schuberth...my word db's are expensive!

Yes-HJC-AC11..most comfortable helmet I've ever owned.

Yes-HID kit/lo beam

No-HID kit/hi beam

No-Marsee/Eagan deer skins...

YES- Local MC shop deerskins/insulated deerskins @ ~$18!!

Maybe-HF Tire changer...breaks the bead, but I use irons and a milk crate for the rest.

Yes-Ram mounts. They can do anything I can dream up. Just add a little home spun engineering.

YES!-Alaska Sheepskin Cover-a value at 24% more than what she charges.

Maybe-BMW ON...maybe...

NO-Motorcyclist Magazine...Makes me reconsider my stand on censorship.

Yes-Marriage...would not trade my wife. Not sure she feels the same blush.gif

Yes-Iron Butt Rally...a shame it's so riduclously expensive to compete. An incredible experience.

If I had to do it all over again I’d…

Who says you can't do it all over again? Just got back from the local BMW dealer, seems they have a special model of the R1200RT available for 2006.

Yes, that's right, R1200RT-JT features two-inch high numbers on the speedo (for those hard to see kinds of mornings) and a right side turn signal that remains permanently at blink. Normally $18900, yours out the door for $15995 with an AARP card.

I can see all that bling moving over v-e-r-y easily.

Here's my list...

Valentine V1 - Yes yes yes yes yes

Savannah II Jacket - YES especially here on the North Coast with all of our micro-climates. Extremely adaptable & versatile jacket. Would only change the color from yellow to grey.

Savannah I pants - yes

BMW Venting Machine jacket - yes

Garmin SP-III+ YES - But I'd get an updated model now.

BMW CDROM repair manuals - maybe

BMW riding boots - YES

MotoEquip face shield lens protector - YES

MotoEuip 3m reflective kit - YES

Autocom Active 7 - YES

Electric heated vest - YES

Arai Signet helmet - probably YES since it fits my weird shaped head the best dopeslap.gif

BMW Commuter pants - YES

Small topcase for 1200ST - YES

Side cases for 1200ST - the jury is still out...not certain if I like these guys, but waiting to see if they come out with City Lids before I make a final determination about keeping them.

City Lids for R1150RT side bags - YES

BMW Top Case for R1150RT - NO - would go to a Givi.

Wiha Torx tools - YES

Tire Plugger - NO

Aeroflow Summer Gloves - Yes

Kenwood TK-3101 FRS GMRS radio - NO

Patagonia thermal underware - YES

FASTRAK - YES great for running through toll booths which are otherwise a major PITA on a bike.

Helen Two Wheel straps - YES

Autocomm - No. Thought it would be cool to listen to music and my passenger. Ended up missing the silence and sound of the bike.

BMW Top Box - Yes. I love my top box. Typically I don't use the side cases but love the top box. So much handier than the side cases.

Caberg Justissimo Helmet - Yes. Love that helmet. Flip top which is great and I love the built in sun shield. Removable liner for easy washing.

HJC Helmet - No. It makes my head itch.

Venting Machine Jacket - Yes. Love it.

Summer Pants - Yes. Great casual riding pants.

Commuter III jacket - Yes. Great jacket. Bring on the cold!!! (I used to live in Northern Nevada and it gets COLD there).

Cover Pants - Yes. Great for commuting.

I know...not many aftermarket items. I like things simple.

1200gs...yes thumbsup.gif

Pretty much says it all.

But even then...

I am doing it all again, having downsized (why did that cost me money?) to an R1200GS and I looked at all of the items I had installed on a couple of RT's and decided what should stay and what should go.

Not much made the cut.

In lieu of the topcase, I added a backrest, but when that is off, so is the rear seat and so is the rack, for that nice and broad rear shelf.

Kept those stock sidecases. Sure they're silly, cheap, plastic pieces of amphibian spit ... but they do what I need and they work well.

Instead of spending more money, just removed the stock footpeg rubber and got a nice serrated, metal edge. TADT

Engine guards, a second socket in the cockpit and clear turn signal lenses round out the hardware modifications.

Lights: poo-poo ... no more lights. I'm convinced now that BMW bike batteries are specially designed and intended the manufacturer to fail, sometimes spectacularly, at inopportune moments if and only if you have copious external and aftermarket lighting installed. The numbers all add up, the systems generally work ... still, BTDT.

Tank Bag: horrible ... as a rule I carry phones and money in my pockets, not in bags. Sarah carries a bag ... she's a woman, so she carries a bag. I don't like bags. Tankbags interfere with riding -- riding fast into corners and getting really excited -- they get in the way and they gotta go. It's gone.

Autocom: This is great device, except why is it attached to all those wires? It's too chunky, for my tastes, to install on the motorcycle itself. I tried it in the tankbag, that worked, but then I have a tankbag. Next step is to try a wearable version, pulling power from the underseat socket, and hiding/combining all of the nice and heavy wiring somewhere close to my person. I'll then only need to port a single remote signal, from the...

GPS/XM/WX: Better and cheaper than crack, the GPSMAP376C is in fact all that. Got the GPS, got the satellite radio. No weather radio, but the whole NOAA forecast for the entire country every 15 minutes.

Beyond this short list, I get a pain in my ass thinking that I have to outfit a $15000 motorcycle with $5000 in accessories to make it right. Like the seat ... it's a motorcycle, not a Yukon. And the windshields ... I have gotten more unnecessary 90-in-a-65 warnings, citations and threatened suspensions thanks to 4+/2+ windshields than I ever should have gotten.

04'RT,

Ohlins = Yes

Autocom = Yes

What I saved by not throwing money away on useless (for me) gadgets on the RT I was able to buy the 05' GS sooner, than later smirk.gif

05'GS

Hella 550 = yes

Piaa 540 = yes

Ohlins = yes

Remus Carbon system = yes

OEM luggage = yes

Marsee tank and rear rack bag = yes

Various machined parts not on the market = yes

KGT = yes

Marsee tail bag = yes

Nolan X1002 = maybe

BigMak = Yes

Olympia Airglide jacket = yes

Olympia Airglide pants = yes

Thottle Rocker = NO!

Thottle Boss = NO!

Laminar lip = yes

Z6's = yes

If I had to do it all over again I would have done it sooner!

R1159RT - yes

Kisan Headlight Modulator - yes

Kisan Sigmal Minder - yes

GizmoMill LED tail light - yes

Givi V46 top box - no - I would get the 52 liter model for touring

XM Roady 2 - yes

Big Mak tank bag - yes

Autocom Pro 7 - yes

Cee Bailey + 4.5 - yes

Kaoko Throttle Lock - no

MattS

Any wires on your Autocom that you are not using and you find get in the way can be easily removed as they all simply plug into the main unit PCB for easy service.

If you remove the label and undo the screws you can remove the lid and unplug the leads, just take care when replacing the lid and screws not to trap any remaining cables.

If you would like a replacement label just PM you address and I will post one out FOC

Autocom-UK-Tom

PS don’t forget to tell me WHICH Autocom label you need?

Started with a Honda 750. too small of a bike but good to learn on.

Moved to honda 1300 drove around town a lot and I needed more would not do cruisers again. (just me)

1150 rt would do BMW again

The accessories

I would not do all the cruiser gear again

BMR shelf YES very stable and vibration free

Big Mak YES I like the functionality

Electrifiying the tank bag No takes up to much valuable space

Hyperlights YES

Mayer seat YES I like this seat.

Roady NO too many problems with connections

SkyFi delfi YES solid as a rock

Arai helmet YES

Motoport kevlar mesh YES in a heartbeat

Motolights YES

CB windshield YES

Engine guards Definate YES

Topcase NO I prefer the cargo shelf I have it is much more versitale for my riding

Headlight Protector YES

I spend too much on accessories.

Most of what I have was researched on this board so I consider myself lucky. I would have spent a lot more by buying blind

YES - 04 BMW K1200RS it's a great bike

YES - Vanson vent mesh

YES - Vanson leather jacket

NO - First Gear mesh (too short in sleeves and back)

YES - Cycle Pump (handy when I need air)

NO - Held gloves with rivets on the palm exactly where my big hand hits the end of the grip (uncomfortable)

YES - Arai full face

YES - throttlemeister on the Duc ST4s since it doesn't come with cruise

NO - wrist rest or whatever it is called for a cheap cruise so you can rest your grip

YES - higher watt bulb (HID) for the BMW - much brighter

YZ426F - Yes, and I'm never selling this bike, it gets buried with me.

The 2000 dollars I spent in motocross gear? Yea I'd do that all over again cuz its saved my arss on many horrid wrecks grin.gif

Selling my 1981 Silverwing? - Maybe, I have days I wish I had it.

Buying a KTM LC4? - maybe here too. had a great price, been happy with it for a few years but now its time for change. but its surely no road hog.

Rev-IT Mesh jacket? - Yea, I want a house full of these things, they friggin rock.

Arai XD Helmet? - Love this helmet. It might die with me too.

My Alpinstar boots (the roads ones). Nah, i'd buy something different now.

Firstgear summer gloves - Love em.

CB's tall windscreen for the ST? - As far as the screenn goes I think I need to look at parabellum instead. But CB as a company is great, I would deal with them again in a heart beat.

buying an ST next spring with the plug, center stand, heated grips, possibly the GPS and an alarm system? - I'm not sure can someone fill me on on the last two items on that list? confused.gifgrin.gif

Any wires...can be easily removed as they all simply plug into the main unit PCB for easy service.

If you remove the label and undo the screws...

Tom, is this going to void my warranty?

pro7sport.jpg

And if you can send about 400 labels that would do the trick. Not really, looks like I'll be in there all the time, so I'll just hit it with some tape. Thanks for the sage advice, I had no idea.

Archived