IGNORED

R1200RT Power Outlet - Possible Problem

Flash1034

When I plug my heated vest into the power outlet on the left side of the fairing, It doesnt seem to get very hot. My 04 R1150RT would set the vest ablaze with heat. Did they regulate the output or lower the wattage on the R1200RT? Can I get more juice somehow?

Thanks,

Flash

I used my Widder vest this summer on my ST it worked well I'll be using my gerbing liner this winter hope it works okay I've heard of prople not being able to use a line and pants because the fuse in the socket is either 5 or 15 amps and just shuts down automaticly.

Anyone? Bueller?

You called?

It's an interesting problem, actually yes the current is regulated. What's interesting is that you're getting some heat, and then none. Like the 5A limit is at times exceeded by the vest, at other times not. When it is exceeded, the port shuts down. Don't know if it times out, or remains off until restart.

The same port on your 04RT was protected by, if memory serves, a 10A fuse -- supporting twice the load of your current setup.

What you should do (what I've done) is to wire a lead to the battery, you can protect it with a fuse or allow the jacket to be the fuse -- you'll know quickly if there's a fault. You would have to use a different connector: I use the leads supplied with Gerbing's clothing.

You need to measure the VOLTAGE at the accy. socket while the load (vest) is connected. Check to see that you are getting more than 12 VDC while the vest is operating. If it is lots less, like near zero, the CAN controller has shut down the socket. Power cycle (off/on) the bike with the key and try again. Do you know the rating of your heated clothing?

I run a 77 watt Gerbings jacket with no problem off the accy socket. The Gerbings jacket current consumption is approx. 6 Amps.

It does sound like the controller is limiting the current to the socket for some reason. If it was me I'd change it to power the clothing directly from the battery. When you get off the bike you disconnect the clothing by definition anyway, so a 'always hot' connector is no big deal.

I use a Gerbing jacket liner while riding my R1200RT and I can crank the heat to a very uncomfortable level with no problem. I use the front left power socket. smile.gif

Still no power to the socket. Ive got an oppt at BMW for Wednesday. I dont feel real good about it as the service guys tried to tell me to check the fuses until I reminded them of the CAN-BUS system. Why is it I always seem to know more about products than the people who sell/fix them? Ill let you guys know what they find.

Flash

Still no power to the socket.

Still no power to the socket ... or the vest? Before getting the big guns (and their theoretical fused-CANBUS setup) involved, I would test the plug, the jacket, and/or another device to determine fo' sho' what the problem is.

The male plugs that fit BMW sockets are notorious for the wires getting loose inside and failing. An easy fix -- open plug and secure wires -- if that's the problem.

Hmm, FWIW I was told by the service manager that there is indeed a fuse in the line to the power socket alone as I was tapping a feed for an intercom for a customer there. I'm yet to do the job to confirm this, but might be worth a look.

Bry

Happy Days! I had a defective power socket. Replced under warranty and all is well. Im sure glad it wasnt a computer CAN-BUS issue.

Flash

Still no power to the socket. Ive got an oppt at BMW for Wednesday. I dont feel real good about it as the service guys tried to tell me to check the fuses until I reminded them of the CAN-BUS system. Why is it I always seem to know more about products than the people who sell/fix them? Ill let you guys know what they find.

Flash

I now what you mean. I've been trying to get info on the charging systems (another post).

On my R1200RT, it heats up the Gerbing jacket in seconds to the point where I'll have to get a rheostat. Way too hot.

I used the left socket with my Gerbing, seem to work OK.. However I've installed the pigtail directly off the battery to have a direct battery connection, and by-pass any Can-Bus issues..

Archived