IGNORED

Should I go for it?

BeemerEric

I have been planning to ride to Saratoga, WY tomorrow from the Denver area...high winds(40mph - 50mph+) are forecast for Thursday. Any of you think this might be too unsafe?

I've ridden in up to 40 mph winds before and I didn't feel it was unsafe. I think 50 would really be pushing it though.

It will be as much fun as going 5 rounds with Mike Tyson (and I'm referring to the ring, not a bar). Can you say "head slap"?

ShovelStrokeEd

I have ridden both my Triumph Sprint and my Honda Blackbird in steady winds up to 50 mph with gust to 65 and both bikes were/are equipped with full sails (Givi V41 panniers and a V46 top box). I won't say it was the most pleasurable experience I have had and, at one point, heading east on I-8 through the mountains, I did hit a rest area briefly to take a break. I was able to stay in lane but not on line and I'm pretty good at this wind stuff.

You will make it but don't plan on having much fun.

Thanks for the info, looks like they have reduced the wind in the forecast a little...I will wait until morning and see what things look like.

I would plan for shorter days than normal, if I were you. Nothing wears me out like wind. I can go further in rain and cold than I am willing to go in heavy winds. Particularly if the wind is a crosswind (They invariably are). I did have the experience once of having a steady 50 mph tailwind........eery feeling, and it only lasted until I turned north.

I did make the trip, did run in to some heavy winds..but no problems except for reduced gas mileage. Got back today and the weather was better. Thanks all for the advice.

Archived