IGNORED

Adding Electric / Electronic Stuff to '06' R12RT with CanBus

drktm540

I have an '06' R12RT due in next week. I want to put an aftermarket sound system (Alpine with inboard XM receiver) with an Autocom Active-7-Smart with headset and cell interface and one local dealer tells me it can't be done due to the CanBus system and the other dealer 60 miles away tells me he will try. Not too convincing. Is there a trick to getting the bike to allow you to add electric gear without warning lights or auto shutdown? I would also like to add PIAA X1100's when the Dallas dealer gets the mounts sorted. They worked wonderfully on my '04' RT. Any suggestions?

doc confused.gif

Basically, any non-BMW accessory you purchase has to be powered directly off the battery. The problem is, you want it all to shut down when you pull the key (or soon thereafter). Going straight to the battery won't do that. You need a relay-triggered fused power buss and a grounding block. These can be ordered from www.electricalconnection.com. Wire them to the battery and then wire the relay's trip wire to the positive lead going to the bikes Aux port. Everything comes on when the bike powers up and shuts off one minute after the bike is shut off.

Really easy actually... there are many threads in this section about hooking various do dads up to a 1200RT or GS.

The aftermarket radio could be connected to the same place as the optional BMW radio setup. There is a plug behind the dash for power etc.

Other option is to add an aftermarket fuse box with relay switching connected directly to the battery. You can hook up anything to this that you had connected on your 1150RT.

The Canbus is just not that complicated.... It is simply a fancy solid state relay with over and under current sensors. If the load consumes too much current it gets shut down and you need to power cycle the bike to bring it back to life. May also set a flag or fault indicator. I won't go on and on about how simple it really is...

Basically, any non-BMW accessory you purchase has to be powered directly off the battery.

That's not entirely true, I would amend it to say "any high current accessory" ... the CANBUS system (at least on a 12GS) cuts off power to the accessory sockets if current draw exceeds 5A. This is actually a perfect "fused" source for low-current electronics like GPS, Autocom, and small radios (not the DIN radio in this example). Lights would require an inline relay, and heated clothing a fused lead to the battery ... but you could use the CANBUS (rather than avoid it) for the small stuff.

Well if it were true I'd be in big trouble! Here's a diagram of all the extra "stuff" on our CAN-BUS 12GS:

39766318-M.jpg

It all works with no CAN-BUS faults. Note though that the actual OEM wiring is only 'touched' in a few places. The accessory socket for the TPS-15, the OEM horn connection, and the OEM lights.

CAN-BUS paranoia is just that.

Oh, and I also have a headlight modulator, LED turn lights, and an LED tail and brake light that modulates. No faults!

go to the touratech website look under special parts for the r1200gs and you will see differnt can bus helpers I've got the first one on the list on my ST and it powers my GPS,XM,and Radar detector they turn off 15 to 45 seconds after I turn the bike off.

Archived