IGNORED

Arai Motard Style Helmets

SiamJim

Anyone familiar with the Arai, or other, motard style helmet? On the Arai USA site it called XD (dc); they call it TX Motard in Asia and it comes without the visor.

I have a couple of friends with this helment and they like it cause it's got a bit more breathing room in front of your mouth and it's cut lower giving you a bit more visibility. I tried one on and it feels like it would allow more wind to enter under your chin, but on the RT with the windscreen up, I don't know if it would be a problem. Generally, I like the fit better than some of the other Arai full face models.

Thoughts?

This would be the perfect helmet for a true dual sport ride, it works well on and off road. The word on the street is that it is very noisy, so earplugs would be recommended.

I use the XD on a GS. Comfortable but noisy. Great in summer and visor helps a lot with the sun. Cold in winter. I added a NOJ helmet liner/neck closure which took care of the cold (and some of the noise). Earplugs a given. Depending on the airflow on the bike, the visor can also cause a hum/vibration. And be careful at high speed - but Arai warns about it.

What makes a helmet work well for off-road riding? I've seen the differences in design, but haven't done enough off-road riding for them to make an obvious difference.

What makes a helmet work well for off-road riding? I've seen the differences in design, but haven't done enough off-road riding for them to make an obvious difference.

An off road helmet, a/k/a motocross helmet, has no face shield. You wear goggles instead. The chin bar is pointed and farther away from your face than a street helmet. There is a large visor to keep the sun out of your eyes, said visor is also helpful when encountering low hanging branches. Speeds are slower off road and conditions are much dirtier. If you are not riding solo, there is usually some dirt (also referred to as "roost") being kicked up in your face by the bike in front of you. In a street helmet off road, you would get unbearably hot with the shield down and your visor would fog up quickly. The motocross style helmet keeps you cooler and still provides full face protection.

Archived