IGNORED

#7 ABS Control Unit Error

Vincent

A few weeks ago started getting an ABS error, alt flashing. (98 RT, 93k) Tried reset but came back, after testing found it to be a 7, ABS Control Unit error. Have checked wheel sensors and depth, all within specs. Error does not clear without reset, and has appeared on startup and in the middle of a ride. Before I think about switching the control unit, has anyone had any similar problems and found it to be something other than the control unit?

I had a similar problem last summer. As I would move off the ABS would cycle with a louder "clack" and then the fault lights would flash. Everything checked out ok, except the ABS controller. Having never bled the thing, (70,000 miles) following internet advice that a normal brake flush also flushes the ABS controller, I lifted the gas tank and bled it. I got about 3 inches of dark goo pumped into the drain tubing. Not good. I then read somewhere about a guy who tore apart his old ABS controller, having replaced it. Inside are two pistons that have to fall and that's what makes that familiar "chink" cycle-up sound. This spring I got the bike out for a test and it still faulted but made a better sound. I also read that you can coax those pistons to fall if you hit the brakes right when the ABS cycles-up. I did that a few times and it worked! I figure the pistons were stuck but now things are flowing. Everything is now back to normal. That was 3000 miles ago so I think it's cured. Lesson learned...flush the brakes and the ABS controller.

I've changed fluid annually since the bike was new in 1997, and have flushed from the controller. Looks like it is the control unit. Just wanted to see if anyone had #7 faults that ended up being something else before I dive into it. THANKS!!!

Archived