IGNORED

Slightly bent front rim

Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson

It was brought to my attention today while having new tires mounted and balanced that my front rim is slightly bent. I measured the runout when I got home and found the axial to be about 2 mm max, measured at the very edge of the rim lip. Radial runout is just over .5 mm.

It is visually noticeable, but only when you look closely at it while it's spinning.

Is this something that I should be concerned with? If so, does anyone know of a reputable place in the San Jose area that can repair it?

Thanks

A lot of us are running slightly bent rims. BMW makes some of the softest rims on the market. HAve you handy local tire guy check it.

David Moore in Hesperia can make it mobettah. 760 240-4590

He made magic on my 1100 rims. For a good price at that.

Check out Wheel Techniques in Santa Clara. Both my 1200RTs have similar bends for some time now. I have no plans to fix them.

If you do have it repaired, please post an update and let us know how much it was and how satisfied you are with the repair.

Tim Wilson

Thanks for your responses. I'll make some calls to see if I can get a time and cost estimate and will post back what I find.

MCWheel can fix it but they are in NH. Fixed my front wheel for about $130 and it was bent pretty bad.

Brian

motoguy128

It's probably not bent enouhg to notice or cause any issue, but at high speeds it could cause a little bit of vibration... although probably not at the speeds the RT is capable of.

I had several rims repairs on my sportbikes with excellent results. All of my rims were bent by at least 5mm or more.

If you're not losing air pressure and you don't feel any vibrations, you might just put off the repair until the off season. OH... wait your in CA, there is not offseason.

Is it like this, which happened me a couple of weeks ago!

Pothole damage

Yikes! Not anywhere close to that bad. Mine's basically not noticeable visually unless you spin the wheel, then it's barely noticeable.

Archived