IGNORED

K1200R Front tire removal

bedlam

Arrgh, BMW "Specialty-Tool Hell" strikes again!

After 9,000 miles, it's time to change the front tire on my pretty new K1200R (bought on July 1st!). So we get it on the lift to take a look at it. Get the pincher bolts loose, take off the brake calipers and then...

realized that despite 10,000 lbs of tools at our disposal, we didn't have the 22mm Allen wrench REQUIRED for removal of the "quick-release" axle.

Yep, it's now on order from McMaster's, but I'd like to know if anyone here's had any experience removing a front wheel from the new-fangled K bikes...and would like to share.

thanks,

Jill

Dennis Andress

That sounds similar to the 20 something Allen wrench needed for the K1200 RS tranny drain plug. Kragen (or AutoZone) sells a set of three for < $10

If it is the same as the one on my RT...

I bought a nut down at the hardware store that fits a 22 mm wrench. I also bought a 9/16" 3/8 drive socket. Took it down to the local welding shop and they welded them together. That will take it off and fits my 3/8" drive torque wrench. Total cost less than $10 The welder didn't even charge me.

thanks to all who offered input. A guy from another list also had a good idea: to turn a spark plug socket around and use it backwards.

The good news is that the 22mm Allen arrived last night and looks like it'll work. We'll find out this afternoon, when we have time to give it a go.

I guess I'm just aggrevated at BMW for requiring a specialized tool to do something as mundane as getting a wheel off. My K75S's toolkit includes *gasp* a lug wrench and all the neccessary stuff to wrestle a tire off. I guess that's the price we pay for going hi-tech! tongue.gif

Arrgh, BMW "Specialty-Tool Hell" strikes again!

In Germany, a 22mm "allen" wrench (known there as an "Inbus" key) is not a specialty tool.

Actually, over there, the bizzare "inch" tools and the nonsensical screw thread systems we use here are "specialty tools" (Friends there call the screws we use here "Chinese screws").

Bob.

Archived