IGNORED

anyone got a Wunderlich instrument surround for a R1200RT?

Philbie

three questions really about this item

1 does it match with the bike?

2 does the colour look ok?

3 does it stop the glare?

Here's the goss from the PDF catalogue I downloaded from:

http://www.motohansa.com.au/wunderlich_r1200rt.htm

Instrument Surround

This is a sharp upgrade in an area that‘s in constant view

while riding. The part is fitted over the original instruments

and displays and immediately transforms the appearance of

the cockpit. Also, the raised shape around the instruments

greatly reduces sun glare and reflections for easier reading of

the instruments in certain conditions. Made of high quality

and durable ABS plastic which in turn is coated with a layer of

a rubust clear coating that protects it and enhances the depth

of the colour. The plastic can be painted. Sold complete with

a protective film for the original display. Easy to fit.

Part No.: 8162508

Thanks,

Phil

Yes, I've got one on my black '09. The stock silver color it comes in is a good match for the other silver bits on the bike. I was all set to paint it black but when I tried it on I very much liked the way it looked as is, it seems to give the dash area more character. Also, the manual gives painting instructions that are ridiculously complicated and involve heating the item to ensure a good bond. I've had good luck with those "new" rattle-can paints that are designed to bond to plastic, but after reading the Wunderlich instructions, I decided to leave it stock. The glare reduction is a mixed bag. When the sun is at certain angles there is an improvement, but the downside is that when the LCD screen is in the shadow of the surround during the day, it is harder to see. Bottom line is that if you're looking for an interesing addition to the daah, go for it. If you're looking for pure function, ie. reducing glare, don't bother. Hope this helps. Michael in Maryland

I bought the surround for my RT from BMW dealer. Surround from GT1200 fits fine, you just have to drill two holes for mounting screws.

I bought the surround for my RT from BMW dealer. Surround from GT1200 fits fine, you just have to drill two holes for mounting screws.
+1, it reduces the "dash glare" a very little bit, check out the 2010 dash which is now almost the same thing!

Archived