IGNORED

Aerostich Roadcrafter vs. Fieldsheer Highland

GaryIF

Owners of the 'Stich Roadcrafter swear by it with near religious passion. Fieldsheer makes a very similar looking one-piece riding suit called the Highland.

Would appreciate the opinions of folks who have either. One question is why does the 'Stich cost $400 more?

Thanks everyone.

I know 4 different people that are sold on AS gear. All four of them, love it and use it almost daily. Chuck, at my local beemer shop, uses it daily for communiting in any type of weather, and for long travel. He has had his gear (two piece), for 11years before he replaced it this year. great stuff. It looks faded, no rips, tears, or strings. Still usable my all means. I plan on buying some next spring along with my R12ST smile.gif

The differnce? The craftsmanship, quality, it'll last forever like a bmw will, and it seems to be well proven.

Not owning one, I question the price as well, but I am willing to forget about the cost and believe the hype smile.gif

It does look similar, and the price is nice ($329). Faced with the decision between this one and a new Roadcrafter at $800, I'd probably try it.

bvjyw

Luckily I have a common size, and was able to buy TWO nearly new Roadcrafters for $400 each on eBay. Could have bought a dozen for that price in the past year.

You could look at that two ways "Wow, Roadcrafters drop 50% in value when used". Or "Wow, a piece of clothing that retains 50% of it's value even when used!".

Would appreciate the opinions of folks who have either. One question is why does the 'Stich cost $400 more?

I guess that I shouldn't comment on this yet, as I have neither. Wanted a 'Stich but just couldn't part with the wad of cash (although most likely well worth it). Hadn't seen too many other 1 piece touring type suits - Until I read your post. Well, in a week or so I should be able to comment on your question because I picked up a brand new Highland suit on eBay for $219 +$20 shipping (and have already gotten the UPS ship notification that it shipped today!)

Had some e-mails with the seller, and seemed quite good. His eBay ID is cb_race_apparel

Thanks for the heads-up, and I'll let you know how I like it when I receive it.

Tom

ShovelStrokeEd

The 'stitch is $400 more cause its better.

Quality of fabric, quality of protective equipment and quality of fabrication.

I have 3 different full sets of riding gear from 3 different manufacturers plus about 4 other assorted jackets and pants that I wear.

On a regular basis, only the 'stitch and my BMW Airflow stuff gets worn. If I lived a bit further north, I might use my Belstaff suit a bit more as its quality is every bit that of the 'stitch. Of course, there is no money to be saved with any of this stuff. A good quality riding suit is gonna cost 750 bucks, more if its leather.

I actually consider the Aerostitch a bargain for what you get. I have crashed in mine and can tell you that the armor works, is properly placed and stays in place during a crash. The suit, is tough enough that it didn't need any repair and you can barely tell where I hit. Never forget that the first purpose of this stuff is protection. Things like comfort and convenience come after.

I do hope you guys enjoy your suits, but I have over the years the expensive way to own a 'Stich is buy two or three other suits that look like a 'Stich, but ain't. Most of the money comes from that fact that it's made in America by Americans making American wages. The other part is that the material is far superior. You're looking at branded ballistic nylon and Gore Tex membrane, which isn't cheap. Many of the other suits out there are made of polypropolyne, which melts at a much lower temp. Most can perfrom like a 'Stich until it gets wrecked...

Not commenting on the Highland suit as I have no idea what it's constructed of.

Aerostich has great customer service. I stop in at the Rider Wearhouse in Duluth MN a couple of weeks ago. I was offer free of charge a couple of minor repair on my Darien while I waited for 15 minutes and a hot cup of coffee. 3 years and 50,000 my Darien is as good as the day I received it, just a little road stained.

Andy Goldfine, his employee and their products, are the best available.

Never forget that the first purpose of this stuff is protection. Things like comfort and convenience come after.

Hence the price, cuz they got it all.

over the years the expensive way to own a 'Stich is buy two or three other suits that look like a 'Stich, but ain't. Most of the money comes from that fact that it's made in America by Americans making American wages.

Right on! A few companies in our country seem to be trying and defy our spiral into the "United States of Walmart," where wages and benefits continually decline, causing the masses to celebrate the availability of ever cheaper crap made by virtual slaves in far away places we'll never have to see.

On a brighter note, may I add another hooray for Rider Wearhouse's fine customer service when an adjustment or change is made in a suit you order from them. They act like they care! Imagine that!

Another company who could have made their product cheaper (and probably inferior), but which chose to keep their quality and their American employees is the Allen Edmonds shoe company. They also have great customer service.

Sometimes, you do get what you pay for, and can be proud of doing so.

End rant.

I have crashed in mine and can tell you that the armor works, is properly placed and stays in place during a crash.

I cannot begin to tell you how critical this is. My next "wad" of cash destined for riding gear will be for a stitch of some sort. Only the best for me from now on. thumbsup.gif

Well the Stich people are definitely loyal. So which do you go with , the 1 or the 2 pc. suit. Or are you considering the Darien same as Stich.

I think the 2 piece is more versatile because you can wear it as a one or two piece. The weather protection is a touch better because the jacket overlaps the pants. And you can mix and match sizes if you're some freaky shape the one-piece suits don't fit well.

The Darien and the Roadcrafter are very different animals. The Roadcrafter fits more like a loose suit of leathers, whereas the Darien is very much a jacket and pants. The Darien looks like a jacket and pants, whereas the Roadcrafter looks like a space suit (or snowmobile suit). The Roadcrafter has a built-in taffeta lining, whereas the Darien has a zip in fleece (or electified) jacket/liner, and doesn't have the tafetta lining. The Darien is supposed to be slightly more waterproof, whereas the Roadcrafter is supposed to give slightly better crash protection. The Darien is available in sizes to fit big/fat guys (like me), whereas the Roadcrafter only goes up to 48 (two piece) or 50 (one piece) (which means I can barely squeeze into my Roadcrafter).

Best thing to do is take a trip to Duluth and try them (and get a discount for showing up at the store).

Best thing to do is take a trip to Duluth and try them (and get a discount for showing up at the store).

I was thinking about doin this next year, its probably about an 18hr ride.

.... Fieldsheer makes a very similar looking one-piece ...... Why does the 'Stich cost $400 more?

Always wanted a Vansons perforated leather suit but thought it was too expensive. Found a Fieldsheer Airspeed that "looked" the same. What a deal at half the price.... or so I thought.

Went down on a bad sand wash that I didn't see - low speed, lowside.... my fault. The Fieldschitz suit split it's seams open some 6-10" long, on both jacket and pants (and I'm 155lbs skinny) eek.gif. Luckily it was a short slide. (course, it wasn't a Highlander, either)

I was also hit a deer and went down at slightly faster speed while wearing a Stich. While I wouldn't go so far as to say the suit looked fine afterwards, it held together perfectly and totally protected me.

IMHO, you get what you pay for. YMMV

They act like they care!

The other day I came home to find a box from Aerostich, and my wife mad at me for ordering more motorcycle stuff. Inside the box was a coffee mug, a discount coupon, and a letter from Andy Goldfine saying, essentially, "You and most other riders wore our stuff in the Iron Butt Rally and we're proud." So, that was cool. And totally unsolicited (although I do wonder, how did he know?) And it goes on the plus side of the ledger, so that means I'm only out like $9990 for the whole experience. dopeslap.gif

They act like they care!

The other day I came home to find a box from Aerostich, and my wife mad at me for ordering more motorcycle stuff. Inside the box was a coffee mug, a discount coupon, and a letter from Andy Goldfine saying, essentially, "You and most other riders wore our stuff in the Iron Butt Rally and we're proud." So, that was cool. And totally unsolicited (although I do wonder, how did he know?) And it goes on the plus side of the ledger, so that means I'm only out like $9990 for the whole experience. dopeslap.gif

How did you get out so cheaply??? dopeslap.gif Andy and Co. do support the sport and his products really do speak for themselves. I think they are priced right for the market, and there really isn't anything out there that compares in my opinion. There are less expensive alternatives, and I think thats great, but nothing is quite like a 'Stich.

Here's something to consider...

A number of the suit options out there include Gortex or Gortex-like fabrics that are NOT removable. For me this was a show stopper because

1) Gortex, regardless of the claims, is NOT waterproof. Honest suit manufacturers like Aerostitch admit this in their advertising.

2) Gortex, regardless of the claims, does NOT breathe enough for my sweaty body on warm days, let alone the hot ones... and if you can't take it out, you're stuck in the sweat box.

My strategy was to go for a suit/system that

1) has excellent armor,

2) is truely waterproofable (in my case, I solve this putting a jacket layer ON TOP* when necessary)

3) and can have the truly waterproof layer removed on warm days to maximize ventilation.

*note: to me, water proof layers that go under the outer shell and/or are laminated to it were poor choices for me on multi-day or even 2 per day riding (e.g. commuting to and then from work) when that outer layer gets soaked.

On the other hand, the advantage of having the waterproof breathable liner permanently installed in the suit is that it's permanently installed in the suit. There are a lot of days I look at the sky when I leave the house, choose the Gore-Tex gloves instead of the non-Gore-Tex gloves, put on my Gore-Tex boots and Gore-Tex lined Roadcrafter, and don't have to think about the weather. If it rains, I don't have to stop and put in a liner, then try to decide if the rain has stopped enough to take the liner out. I just ride.

As far as heat, it's manageable with the Roadcrafter. A cooling vest underneath the jacket or a wet t-shirt and you're OK. Are you hot if it's 98 degrees? Yes. Would you be hot if you were naked on the bike when it's 98 degrees? Yes. (Did you ever notice that desert-dwelling people cover themselves up completely? Did you ever see an Arab in a mesh robe?)

Personally, I would rather get damp in a breathable, highly water-resistant suit than sweat inside a non-breathable, completely waterproof suit. I have a some completely waterproof gloves (neoprene diver's gloves, PVC work gloves) and my hands end up wetter from sweat on the inside of the waterproof gloves than I've ever gotten from rain in breathable-membrane gloves .

I own a Highlander suit bought from Brockton at a huge discount and imported to the UK at half the UK price. The suit is a close fit on my 6ft 195lb frame. I struggle with the long zip at the neck but usually manage to fasten it with practice. I found the back protector a bit too hard for me but 9 months on its soft enough. The rest of the armour meets my needs. I do catch the hip armour when putting the suit on but it stays in place ok once zipped up. The suit is warm in cold conditions but is not waterproof by any stretch of the imagination. Scottish winters (and Summers) can produce 4 inches of rain in a short spell. I found that the arms leaked as did the crotch. With the quilted liners in I did not notice this but with my ordinary clothes on and the liners out, t-shirts/ shirts and trousers got wet. Ventilation is ok but I would prefer more zips. Also it only comes in black so you can toast in it when the sun does come out. I bought the suit instead of an Aerostich suit as they are pretty expensive and my budget doesn't run to that much cash yet! I plan to use it for a couple more years and look again. The Stich suits are often sold at discount for one reason or another on the website and it pays to keep an eye there. One other suit is the Giali suit which seems to be a copy of the stich as well. I intend to have a look at the british motorcycle show in Birmingham (England) at the end of this month

Archived