IGNORED

Scraped sidestand?

Scribner

Took a passenger for a ride yesterday on my '04 KRS and scraped both sides of the sidestand in corners. I had the shock adjusted for two up riding, proper tire pressures and the stand was fully tucked up. This never happened on my '01 KRS. We had no additional wieght in the bags and were under top load limits. Anyone have some insight into why this happened. And by the way, I was riding on the conservative side, no hooning around.

scraped both sides of the sidestand
Do you mean center stand? As far as I know, a side stand can only be scraped on one side.

Riding a different road, with some bumps that compress the suspension more than usual?

If it's same road, same load, same pace, same suspension settings, then the rear compression damping, and/or spring has weakened. How many miles on the bike?

On the other hand, folks do get more and more familiar with their bike's handling and cornering, more comfortable, and sometimes in that comfort unconsciously add a few degrees of lean which brings hard pars closer to terra firma.

If you do decide to upgrade the rear spring/damper, I stronly suggest you look into getting a Wilber unit. Even with explicit and decisive instructions to the providers of Ohlin units, folks who have special needs (like you do, riding two up) don't seem to get the base components, and set-up, they really need. Getting the proper rate spring, shock length, and the versatile adjustable compression damping from Wilbers (or Penske) seem to yield happier results.

Best wishes.

Archived