IGNORED

"And my friends left me out there to die." --Whip

eddd

On the way to Torrey I decided to take what seems to have become the obligatory flower picture. I chose quantity over quality.

orig.jpg

I made a stop in Lincoln, NM to see if I could find Beverly. Beverly works for the park service and is a real character. We first met her on a trip to the area in April, 2008. Here is a link to Whip's tale, which includes a not-to-be-missed section on Lawman's unlawful activity.

orig.jpg

I came across these lines in New Mexico. I wonder if the fine doubles when you cross a double-double yellow line.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

I arrived in Torrey on Monday and enjoyed a few days on the bicycle and Kawasaki Sherpa. Wednesday was a mixed bag weather-wise. The sun would be shining in one area.

orig.jpg

But snow, rain, and even small hail was moving in from the north and west.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Mr. and Mrs. Whip arrived on Wednesday and so with some extra time we enjoyed a ride to the Burr Trail and Escalante on Thursday with Bob and Luis, one of Larry's partners. But since I don't have pictures of that, it might not have happened.

This brings us to Friday. Bob graciously offers to take Luis, Louise, and Ron B. on a little sight-seeing ride in the pickup. Larry and I decide to go ride dirt bikes on the bentonite hills, a LARGE open area that is perfect for playing on a dirt bike or ATV.

orig.jpg

With so much area to ride, Whip and I quickly were separated, which is not uncommon in this area. When he did not return to the area where we started, I became concerned and drove to the top of one of the hills to see if I could spot him.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

No luck. I rode around a bit, and followed a few tracks, but wasn't having any luck. I knew there was something wrong, but I also knew I needed help. I didn't have my phone if he was calling. I didn't want to make a bunch of fresh tracks all over the area, since we might be able to find him following his tracks. I headed back to my truck, got the phone, and listened to his message. He'd dumped the bike and injured his "wrist" (turned out to be the thumb) and could not ride. Leaving the campground where my truck was parked, I came upon Killer in his pickup. Just then Whip called again and filled us in on where he was. (Which turned out to be the direct opposite of where he really was...Birthday present suggestion for Louise...buy the boy a compass.)

I took off on my dirt bike to find him while the truck went to gather items for the recovery. Sorry no pictures, but you can believe it happened since you could hear his whining for miles. I'm also sure you'll read Whip's description of the event, which will no doubt include references to how I abandoned him to die in the desert after he crashed into an incredibly steep gorge...(insert rolling eyes emo)

As for the leaving him in the desert...I looked and waited for at LEAST 20 minutes...and besides, it was lunch time and I was hungry.

orig.jpg

Louise brought ice, bandages, and meds for the injured rider, Bob rode his bike out, and the poor boy was transported to the clinic in Bicknell. Much whining and constant accusation of abandonment were heard over the remainder of Torrey XIX.

On Saturday, since he was in no shape to ride, Larry lent his bike to Chris, Lawnchairboy. Chris and I headed back out to the bentonite hills for some off-road riding. Here is Chris leaving Bob's as we start the ride.

orig.jpg

We decided to head to the sight of the accident, which Janet, Squirrel, had named "Whip's Wash". after listening to Whip's descriptions, we envisioned a deep chasm, with condors circling overhead and landing on the steep sides of Whip's Wash...

onoz.gif

...but here is what we found.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

...no comment needed...pictures say it all.

Chris and I mounted up and continued our ride on the hills.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

And will you look at this...a rider who starts a ride and is able to ride the bike all the way back to the start on his own.

orig.jpg

Since Larry was in no condition to ride home, Calvin, Chris, and I loaded his GS into the my trailer.

orig.jpg

A dusting of snow greeted us on Monday morning as we were preparing to leave.

orig.jpg

We stopped for the night in Roswell. Here you see Louise having to carry everything for her poor, injured husband.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Always one to look for a silver lining...I've started a new business venture:

orig.jpg

None of this would hold up in court cause like all old men you got the days mixed up. The Whip's got there on Tuesday. We all road to Escalante on Wednesday and you left me to die on Thursday. The only reason I went with ya is cause I didn't think you should be left alone with your memory problems.

Otherwise, nice job.

They say Geritol helps with memory loss, you should prolly double your normal dosage for awhile at least until you know what day it is.

:wave:

...They say Geritol helps with memory loss, you should prolly double your normal dosage for awhile at least until you know what day it is.

I'm retired, I don't need to know what day it is. DrinkinCoffee.gif

lawnchairboy

classic.

Those hills are a riot. Glad I escaped injury at Whip's wash and happy it's namesake lent me a dirtbike to ride, the clampett's rig didn't have enough room for the x-challenge to make the trip.

...They say Geritol helps with memory loss, you should prolly double your normal dosage for awhile at least until you know what day it is.

:grin:

Great pics Ed!

Touche'! Fun ride tale Ed! :rofl:

Whip was determined that they would NOT, NO NEVER nickname him "Boots!"

884200008_7dr9Q-O.jpg

But he couldn't help it if they stuck him with "Thumbelina"

Thanks Eddd. You are a man of honesty and integrity, I think. So I'll believe the story as written, at least until I hear Whip's version. At that point, I'll probably discard both versions and make up my own.

More likely Whip wears those boots 24/7 due to the fear of having his fractured limbs becoming immortalized through Tee-shirt art!!! :grin:

Nice report, Eddddd..... if somewhat brutal on the seriously injured Whip.

But he couldn't help it if they stuck him with "Thumbelina"

Aw c'mon Jan....How 'bout "Thumbo" ??

BTW- Whip- when is the "new" Torrey IX T-shirt coming out?

:grin:

Great tale Eddd !!!

...Nice report, Eddddd..... if somewhat brutal on the seriously injured Whip.

Michael, ignoring the fact that the injury was just barely worse than a hangnail :lurk:, my thinking is that I need to take my shots when I can since I'm fully aware that I could be the next one to be the one laying on the ground with cameras snapping pictures of me. :P

...Nice report, Eddddd..... if somewhat brutal on the seriously injured Whip.

Michael, ignoring the fact that the injury was just barely worse than a hangnail :lurk:, my thinking is that I need to take my shots when I can since I'm fully aware that I could be the next one to be the one laying on the ground with cameras snapping pictures of me. :P

Hangnail my ass......I still can't pull in the clutch, but it is getting better every day.

My wrist is definitely the problem.

I hope you never go down.

L

...Hangnail my ass......I still can't pull in the clutch, but it is getting better every day.

I hope you never go down.

L

Glad to hear it's getting better, but I have to know:

If I go down, how long will it take before I see your smiling face, partially obscured by your camera, pointing at me?

lawnchairboy

that time period will be measured in seconds, although I don't have any first hand experience with that...

At least I was already standing by the time the camera came out.

4656643976_89ae0ed049_m.jpg

You give the young lady a couple Photoshop lessons and she sticks a knife in your back.

:rofl:

Thanks for the online lesson Janet.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Great job edddd,

not good to hear about the bike dump and injury but, glad to hear it wasn't nutt'in but a hang nail.

speedy recovery Whip.

I feel the love just oozing out of this thread :thumbsup:. Oh wait, that thumb's up icon is probably not the right one to use right now.

Bill_Walker
Torrey squirrels sure are brutal.

Good thing there's only one!

BTW, nice 'shop job yourself on the two-sided shirt.

And you guys wonder why I advocated extending the 2009 clause of our contract. So much for self regulation :)

I for one refuse to give this thread a "thumbs"....err make that "thump up" in support of my pal Whip.

Hangnail my ass......I still can't pull in the clutch, but it is getting better every day.

Now I am confused...... :S

"Thumbo" or "LimpWrist" ???

(running like hell....)

Get better soon Whip!! :grin:

Matts_12GS
Limpwriskit?

Daang- I shoulda consulted wit ya...Much better. :rofl:

Blind Limpwriskit

DAMHIK

At least some of us can read...

You know this sitting at home saving my pennies to buy a house is getting old. I keep missing out on all of the fun and injuries. I think I am gonna buy a mobile home instead so I can start making some more Torrey rides.

Larry,

I for one can see how that huge rock in the wash knocked you off your bike. It is a wonder you were not seriously injured. I can't believe you are getting such as a razzing. It is a testament to your great riding skills that you are alive to talk about it. :)

Todd

After reading the entire thread, what more can I say? All the positive comments have already been offered to eddd, and all the sarcastic jabs thrown towards Whip.

For once, I am speachless.

I'm not sure what to make of this story. Trailer queens in the trailer version of a burka. All boxed in so no one can admire the beauty of the 'Ride" being hauled pell-mell across the country.

Kinda gives 'Sport Touring' a new meaning.

I have some acquaintances who do the same with their bikes going to the Bear Tooth Rally. Much as I hate the boring miles on the Interstate I just don't seee the point of not riding.

Do you give an award for long distance trailering at these exclusive ST get togethers?

I'm not sure what to make of this story. Trailer queens in the trailer version of a burka. All boxed in so no one can admire the beauty of the 'Ride" being hauled pell-mell across the country.

I have some acquaintances who do the same with their bikes going to the Bear Tooth Rally. Much as I hate the boring miles on the Interstate I just don't seee the point of not riding.

Do you give an award for long distance trailering at these exclusive ST get togethers?

How would you suggest taking both an RT and a dirt bike from Texas to Torrey?

How would you suggest taking both an RT and a dirt bike from Texas to Torrey?

Don't forget the mountain bike. Torrey is a great place to ride a bicycle.

Oh, and BTW, that "trailer queen" RT has 144,000 miles on it, and will be ridden to the UN

markgoodrich

Whip, what was the diagnosis. Of the thumb/wrist, not the riding skill set.

Could'a been a lot worse; you could'a been Twisties.

Whip, what was the diagnosis. Of the thumb/wrist, not the riding skill set.

Could'a been a lot worse; you could'a been Twisties.

X-rays negative.

Somethin like skiers thump. I can finally pull in a clutch on a bike. I have a track day scheduled for next Saturday....I plan on riding.

Thanks for checking in.

L

Archived