IGNORED

Clutch Problems

Rich06FJR1300

Rich06FJR1300

just got back from the ra rally in shelbyville, TN...trip was awesome only thing was that on the way back, my clutch was acting up....i couldn't engage it or i had to pump the crap out of the lever so i could downshift. Feels like there is air in the lines or other possible situations. What hookup do you use to bleed the clutch anyway? I tried the speedbleeder with the mighty vac but could not get a good seal from the speed bleeder (was sucking air at the base of the threads)...do the stock brake bleeders work for this? (the bleeding is done near the slave cylinder on an RT).

Thanks,

More than likely your clutch throwout bearing went south. I had the same problem about a month ago. Find my thread in this "Oilheads" forum, Last posting to it was on 10/2. Title: "Hydraulic clutch, slave cylinder and throwout bearing". Do NOT ride like this. Hopefully the slave cylinder did not yet leak enough clutch fluid to contaminate the clutch. If you ride, it will!

As Paul said, there's probably more to this than just needing a bleed. The air in it suddenly had to come from somewhere.

But to answer your specific question, you'll find it easier if you remove the entire BMW check valve thing from the end of the clutch bleed hose then install a bleeder, either stock or Speedbleeder directly on the end of the hose.

Rich06FJR1300

i checked out the final drive tonight and see that it is indeed leaking on the inner hub...uh oh...more money. Looks like its the throwout bearing on the clutch. This trip really killed this bike...about a grand to get a clutch done by a dealer by me. Contemplating doing it myself as i can't part with my hard earned dollars that easily (well, i did when when i bought the RT..lesson learned?)

thanks for the info,

Rich

If your clutch was not slipping, leave it alone. Replacing the clutch slave cylinder/throwout bearing is done without pulling the gearbox.

Rich06FJR1300

where is the throwout bearing? i thought this was near the input shaft of the transmission? Hence, you can't get to it without pulling the gearbox.

The throwout bearing is integral part of the hydraulic slave cylinder and you buy it as a unit. It sits on the outside of the gearbox and it takes two hours at most to replace it.

where is the throwout bearing?
To expand a bit more, the throwout bearing (indeed part of the hydraulic clutch slave cylinder) sits at the rear of the transmission and actuates the clutch with a push rod up to the front of the transmission through a hollow transmission input shaft. Follow your clutch hose down to the rear of the transmission to find it. It's held on with three hex head bolts.

Archived