IGNORED

Source for helmet-to-neck "gap filler?"

Slash5Dan

I use and like a Shoei RF-1000 helmet but my ears still get pounded by in-helmet turbulence while riding, even with Super Hearos earplugs. I guess I'm sensitive to noise but I need to find some way to cut this down before the ever-present ringing in my ears becomes worse.

Does anyone make a stretchy "sock" that closes the opening between a rider's neck and jacket and the helmet? I can imagine that it would have an elastic band that would go around the bottom of a full-face helmet with an inside soft and fleecy section that would go against the rider's neck.

If you look at a Schuberth S1 helmet, you can see that it has something like this built into the helmet. Nice idea but I'm trying to do this without spending $700. The Shoei chin curtain doesn't do the trick - already tried that.

Thanks for any suggestions.

--Dan

Go to Home Depot and buy a can of Great Stuff low expansion foam.... spray small ammounts into your helmet to seal up the open areas...be certain not to get any in the face shield area. tongue.gifdopeslap.gif

Actually... I'd be interested in a more serious solution too.

When the temps are cool enough, I use a Polartec neck gaiter. It is soft enough to tuck up under my helmet, and buckle under my chin strap. It reduces the wind noise somewhat and is pretty warm. Mine's from from Columbia (the outerwear mfr, not the South American country wink.gif) and cost less than $20.

My wife made a couple of neck warmers for us from some fleecy material. It took her about 10 minutes to finish each of them. They work superbly for blocking the wind but cut down some ventilation and increase fogging.

I have had the same neck gap noise problem. I found neck gaiters at ski shops. Some are so stretchy that they can be put on after a full face helmet (using the shield slot). They make a major difference. However some fabrics/knits work and some don't. Try a few since they are so cheap. I use them summer and winter to keep whats left of my hearing.

ShovelStrokeEd

Dan,

Your BMW dealer sells a jersey tube emblazoned with the BMW logo in a stylish grey/yellow combination that works quite well. It can also serve as a do rag, a bandanna or a screen cleaner, nice, washable helmet liner.

Or, buy some cheap tee shirts and just cut the sleeves out of them. Works pretty well.

Archived