i would have to choose my sig sauer 229

1 i think sigs are the most accurate mass produced handguns in the world

2 these guns just don't ever have a failure to fire

3 it is single action but you can make the first round double action

4 it's only a 9 mm but if you load is with cor bon dps 115 gr you will get 1250

fps. more than enough stopping power

5 your wife and daughters can use it and know that they are safe in their home

Firefight911

Hey, we haven't done this in a loooonnnnnngggg time!!!

Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm Compact is my wife's weapon of choice.

Smith & Wesson M&P .45ACP is my weapon of choice.

Hmmmm, it's been a couple months! I think it's time to head back to the range for some fun called, "Turning Money in to Noise!"

;):wave:

NEXT!

Oh, she usually out shoots me which is just down right irritating!

Joe Frickin' Friday

Solder gun?

Caulk gun?

Heat gun?

Nail gun?

Tough to choose... :rofl:

1918 9mm Luger. I used to have one, sold it at a gun show. Beautiful piece of engineering, could be stripped down without tools.

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

The Motto of Front-Sight Firearms Training Institute is "Any Gun will do-- if you will do!" So "two shots in the center-of-mass", then evaluate and if needed put the next one into the Ocular-cranial cavity.

XM 25

The XM-25 resembles a highly sophisticated grenade launcher that fires laser-guided smart rounds. The laser gauges a distance to target and allows the warfighter to set where the round will detonate, adding or subtracting increments of 3 meters from the laser-spotted point. Then the scope tells a microchip inside the round how far it should travel before exploding.

The XM-25, which fires a 25mm airbursting, high-explosive round, packs a whole lot of smarts to go with its punch. With the click of a button, a laser rangefinder quickly determines how far away the target is, and that distance gets displayed in the weapons optics, along with crosshairs already adjusted for factors such as temperature and air pressure. The built-in target acquisition/fire control capabilities also program the relevant data into the sensor- and microchip-equipped ammo

You can run...

Mister Tee

The Tee's first choice is an HK MP5. But he falls back on a S&W Model 39 9mm for personal use. A bit dated yes but it works.

Husker Red

Easy. The one I have used the most and fills the most needs for me. The Remington model 870 Express Super Magnum. Great for shooting trap, pheasants, ducks, home invaders and zombies. Stone simple, reliable and it's even cheap. I love it.

5100.jpg

Dennis Andress

I'd have to buy one then, as losing the right to have more then one is something worth fighting about....

Thompson center contender.

It's a .22 rim fire,

wait! it's a 308 rifle

wait! it's a 9mm

wait! it's a 410 shotgun

wait! it even has a 50 cal muzzleload barrel.

Accurate too . .

But, it is single shot :P

Sometimes, you try like hell to get a single gun to do everything, but there is always a reason for a second gun.

Francois_Dumas

Not trying to hijack this thread, but isn't it like trying to have ONE single bike fit all?? ;)

I've got a few quality guns, but I'd give them all up for a Johnny Seven One Man Army:

39c1.jpg

When I was a kid I wanted one of these so much that it made my teeth hurt. It never happened. :(

beemerman2k

Whatever kind Al Pacino had at the end of "Scarface" before he got blown away. That'd be my pick of the litter :Cool:

Oh, and lots of ammo to go with it!

Paul Mihalka

I'm not into guns anymore, but used to do a lot of serious target shooting. But if I would have one gun it would be a Smith Wesson K38!

Antimatter
I've got a few quality guns, but I'd give them all up for a Johnny Seven One Man Army:

39c1.jpg

When I was a kid I wanted one of these so much that it made my teeth hurt. It never happened. :(

I had a friend that had one of those, and the Crime Buster as well. We had some great wars with those as little kids. It's amazing no-one lost an eye.

ShovelStrokeEd

I like Paul's choice. Great target gun!

Voting with my wallet got me a Browning HiPower and a Colt Delta Elite in 10mm. I'm a bit of a luddite when it comes to hand guns, preferring single actions to any form of double action. I'm down to 165 lbs now though and that fat HiPower is getting a bit tough to conceal. Looking at the .380 offerings from Ruger and others.

I'm not into guns anymore, but used to do a lot of serious target shooting. But if I would have one gun it would be a Smith Wesson K38!

I knew you were my kind of guy, Paul! I'm looking for a K38 6" for my wife to go with her K22.

As for me, I'd upgrade from the K38 to the Model 19 Combat Magnum with a 6" bbl.

Failing that, nobody ever built a gun that suits me better than a Colt Government Model.

Glocks are great lead pumps, but Lordy, are they ugly and they sound like a cap pistol when you drop the hammer on an empty chamber.

Pilgrim

steve.foote

Ruger Mini-14 All-Weather Ranch Rifle.

RugerMini14AWbig.jpg

Why? Because a pistol is worthless at more than 25 yards. The Mini-14 can take care of just about any shooting need you might encounter.

I guess I would have to go with the 155 mm self-propelled artillery piece that I used in Vietnam. 200 lb projectile, 15 km range. Might need an addition on the house to store it though.

Self-propelled-howitzer-vietnam.jpg

PS

Like statements by a certain senate candidate, my last post implies I was actually in Vietnam.

Unlike said candidate, I was.

As a footnote, when I went back to Vietnam as a tourist 30+ years later with my son and his Vietnamese in-laws, I saw a captured 155 mm on display in Hue.

Matts_12GS

RugerMini14AWbig.jpg

Why? Because a pistol is worthless at more than 25 yards. The Mini-14 can take care of just about any shooting need you might encounter.

We should build alliances... :wave:

RugerMini14AWbig.jpg

Well, yes, assuming that you are unable to hit anything at that range with it, that's true.

On the other hand, I watched a Border Patrol Pistol Team shooter (circa 1969, back when we were taught to shoot for real) put nine out of ten rounds offhand from an accurized .45ACP in one hole at 50 yards. The 10th round was out by a near-immeasurable hair, but was still in the X ring. And all of us then could make a guy keep his head down at 50 yards - 12 rounds at 50 yards was part of the qual course.

However, your point is well taken as a "best practices" matter. I own a Ruger Mini-14 and like it a lot.

As the saying goes, the only reason to shoot someone with a pistol is that you couldn't carry your cannon that day.

Pilgrim

As a footnote, when I went back to Vietnam as a tourist 30+ years later with my son and his Vietnamese in-laws, I saw a captured 155 mm on display in Hue.

I don't know if you are a reader or not, but if you like novels you'll enjoy Up Country, by Nelson DeMille.

http://www.amazon.com/Up-Country-Novel-Nelson-DeMille/dp/0446516570

DeMille is a Viet vet. The protagonist in the book is too, and he goes back to VN years later, only he is on a covert mission for the government.

It's a really good story, dealing both with the overt story line and the protagonist's personal reactions to being back in-country.

Pilgrim

Pilgrim,

I will look for it. I just reread DeMille's Gold Coast. His novels are riveting and illuminating.

Archived