IGNORED

How to remove road TAR from one's GS

ClearwaterBMW

ClearwaterBMW

i began the cleaning process today after my 1600 mile trip to geogia (i know i shouldn't clean a GS... i just had to)

well... the freshly paved roads on I-75 in georgia were UNavoidable on this trip...

today...

massive amounts of GLOBS of tar on my rims/can, etc....

i have tried WD-40 (and washed it off all of the plastic and rubber piece afterwards, of course)

but, can any one of you fine folks suggest some other product that will help

the back rim is horrible

there is so much on there, i'm surprised it isn't out of balance ooo.gif

thanks in advance, as always

greg

by the way

78-82 the whole way home

on the interstate... flat land mostly

53.6 mpg....

bike only 3000 miles old

greg

Mike_Thompson

When I used to ride my RT or KLR, I would use Pledge before heading out on a ride. When returning, it made things a lot easier to remove than otherwise. Understandably, this advice is a bit after the fact, but it might help in the future.... a bit more of a costly item that seems to have gotten good reviews is RejeX... follow the link: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/rejex/

To get rid of the tar, have you tried using some Dawn solution or Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover? Both of these have worked well in the past and it takes a little bit of elbow grease as well.

Speaking of getting rid of things, does anyone know how to get dried and caked concrete off your bike? My buddy got trapped behind a cement mixer that spilled a bunch of crud on his bike. Not trying to steal your thread, just curious if anyone has heard of this kind of freak thing.

Good luck Greg, I hope you are able to wash off the tar from your bike!

ClearwaterBMW

hey mike

thanks for you advice. cool that you're from atlanta... it was south of there, riding home from the TWO in suches, that i encountered all that tar on I-75

i'll keep that pledge in mind

i have globs the size of 1/2 a golfball on my bike.... it's otherworldly

greg

Greg: Try some kerosene. And how about a ride report? I was up at TWO with a buddy on Sunday around 2 pm - it was empty, both at TWO and on the roads up there. Of course, the weather sucked so that's probably why.

ClearwaterBMW

we left at 7:30 that morning

yes.....

i need to do a ride report

i will be posting pictures later.... of course, it was one of those magic rides where we didn't stop.... so i don't have many pictures..... something about which i always yell at others.

greg

I came across an amazing product called Ooops. It's sold in paint departments in small containers. I watched it take permanent black magic marker of a child's highchair with no effort whatsoever. We had tried everything else.

Greg: Try some kerosene.
I have to admit, I have used regular gasoline on many an occasion with satisfactory results. Wear some rubber gloves, the stuff that's called gas these days gives the hands a beating.
ClearwaterBMW

today i will finally have some time to go buy the kerosene

i appreciate your help

and, industrial rubber gloves are a must as well

as a pediatrician, i already wash my hands 200 times/day (at least)

i MUST post a few photos of the large CHUNKS of tar on my swingarm that MUST have been collected from the 80mph ride on the newly paved interstate in georgia

greg

Greg: I just cleaned and lubed my VStrom's chain yesterday. I always use kerosene to clean the chain and I wear regular yellow kitchen rubber gloves they sell at the grocery stores. Works perfectly, not a drop of kerosene ever gets on my skin with those cheapy gloves.

By far the best stuff for taking tar off anything is De-Solv-it (http://www.de-solv-it.com/household/index.html). After I found this stuff, I'm not using anything else. I use it for a hand cleaner in the garage to clean oil and all sorts of stuff off me. It works on bugs and everything. You can get it at the link I sent, or Wal-Mart, Ace Hardware, or other places. Be sure to get the contractors strength. I squirt it on, wait a bit, & it just wipes off. I can't say how great this stuff it. Go to the site & read about it. It is the bomb!

Tim

Archived